Rodgers Revolution

165 posts
Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Excited for the Future, or Terrified?

by Sarah Star » 03 Sep 2009 12:55

Franchise FC
Sarah Star Can't we be both? It is a bit like taking a parachute jump when you've trusted someone else to make all the arrangements and pack the parachute for you.

Just to be clear - if you take your first parachute jump, there is absolutely no chance that you'll pack your own chute.

At the risk of carrying on this metaphor too long... it's not our first ever jump, it's our first jump with a guy who's only had 8 months with another club and does things differently from what we're used to.

RoyalBird

Re: Rodgers Revolution

by RoyalBird » 03 Sep 2009 18:11

Sun Tzu
RoyalBird So that leaves Cisse/Karacan, Kebe and NHunt. This is the plan Rogers is taking us down and it's going to either boom or bust and I'm not sure we're in a good enough position to have taken the risk of trying it.

It also leaves Federici, Pearce, Long, Tabb and Mateyovksy - in other words we could get pretty close to still fielding a atsrting eleven of players from Coppell's team.

So why worry ?

:roll: Read the whole post again, I'm mentioning the first team from exactly a year ago. Tabb was still at Coventry in September, Federici, Pearce and Long were on the bench but unable to start the team regularly, and Matejovsky got crocked and didn't play regularly as a result of it. I put Cisse/Karacan there because they were rotating a fair amount at the time

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Sep 2009 18:13

Crikey, if you want to use that many caveats you can say anything!

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 03 Sep 2009 18:18

Ian Royal Crikey, if you want to use that many caveats you can say anything!

I think what RB is pointing out is that there are not many players left at the club who were regulars under Coppell. Thats certainly true.
None of us know whether this was forced upon Rodgers from above or if he made these decisions out of choice.
Either way it may well be a rocky ride this season.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Excited for the Future, or Terrified?

by Franchise FC » 03 Sep 2009 18:30

Sarah Star
Franchise FC
Sarah Star Can't we be both? It is a bit like taking a parachute jump when you've trusted someone else to make all the arrangements and pack the parachute for you.

Just to be clear - if you take your first parachute jump, there is absolutely no chance that you'll pack your own chute.

At the risk of carrying on this metaphor too long... it's not our first ever jump, it's our first jump with a guy who's only had 8 months with another club and does things differently from what we're used to.

Let's hope we're on a static line rather than freefall

Cookie

by Cookie » 03 Sep 2009 18:48

andrew1957 Well for better or for worse part one of the Rodgers Revolution has been completed. The old 106 points team is all but gone.Time will tell if Rodgers can get the players to do what he wants and if we have the quality but it will be an interesting season.

Brendan the butcher

That's eight out, I suspect the only thing that saved Armstrong was his injury, while the ridiculous price of strikers and their wage demands at this level saves Hunt and Long.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 03 Sep 2009 18:55

Brendan the hero - he's got rid of the two shit players we had left and strengthened the squad heavily.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 Sep 2009 19:05

He's replaced two experienced players with a kid and an average at best Championship midfielder and I fear he's changed the entire squad far too quickly.

Not sure what to make of Rodgers. One minute I hate him, the next I think he deserves a chance and a win against a very poor Barnsley side hasn't changed my mind.

tlcs

by tlcs » 03 Sep 2009 19:15

Long live the revolution........totally agree with Royalee, glad to see the back of Rosenior

And if Kebe doesnt improve theres always the Jan transfer window

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 03 Sep 2009 19:21

sandman He's replaced two experienced players with a kid and an average at best Championship midfielder and I fear he's changed the entire squad far too quickly.

Not sure what to make of Rodgers. One minute I hate him, the next I think he deserves a chance and a win against a very poor Barnsley side hasn't changed my mind.

The same 'average at best midfielder' who was in the championship team of the year in 07/08, destroyed Liverpool single handedly in the FA cup, and was cconsidered by many to be one of the best players in the division before Blackwell destroyed his reputation through putting him in a system which obviously didn't suit.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 03 Sep 2009 19:24

tlcs Long live the revolution........totally agree with Royalee, glad to see the back of Rosenior

And if Kebe doesnt improve theres always the Jan transfer window

Provided that someone mad enough will put in an offer. Does anyone have Harry Redknapp's number?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 Sep 2009 19:35

winchester_royal
sandman He's replaced two experienced players with a kid and an average at best Championship midfielder and I fear he's changed the entire squad far too quickly.

The same 'average at best midfielder' who was in the championship team of the year in 07/08, destroyed Liverpool single handedly in the FA cup, and was cconsidered by many to be one of the best players in the division before Blackwell destroyed his reputation through putting him in a system which obviously didn't suit.

The same average championship midfielder who has just been signed by a rookie manager who claims he likes versatile players who can fit various roles in a team. If Howard can't play in different systems then he's not much use at all.

RoyalBird

by RoyalBird » 03 Sep 2009 19:50

winchester_royal

Ever wonder if he's a one season wonder? We've all seen them before, take Michael Ricketts for example. Came into the Premiership and scored 15 goals in his first season and has done crap ever since. I don't think Brian Howard is, but I'm worried he's not far from it.

PEARCEY
Ian Royal Crikey, if you want to use that many caveats you can say anything!

I think what RB is pointing out is that there are not many players left at the club who were regulars under Coppell. Thats certainly true.
None of us know whether this was forced upon Rodgers from above or if he made these decisions out of choice.
Either way it may well be a rocky ride this season.

Exactly. I'm thinking along the lines that it was Rogers decision, but even if it wasn't, this extreme change could damage our club. We all want to reach the Premiership again, and realise it's not likely that Rogers can do it in his first season and is looking to do it in his second or third year. However, having such a big change can hamper our chances in terms of success.

Forever Reading
Location: We are the boys of the Elm Park Choir, Singing on a Saturday keeps us fit....

by Forever Reading » 03 Sep 2009 20:03

Viva La Revolution

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 03 Sep 2009 20:18

You're made of sterner stuff than me if you're not excited about the revolution.

Sure, it may all turn to sh1t and we end up in a relegation battle. But for now, the prospect of all the new boys, the youngsters and a few well seasoned pros. Plus the prospect of seeing if a confident and ambitious manager really has got the modern scientific tactical approach to rip open the opposition and move the club forwards and into contention for a return to the premiership.

Viva la revolution! Viva Reading FC!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Sep 2009 20:46

Armadillo Roadkill You're made of sterner stuff than me if you're not excited about the revolution.

People who are scared of revolution are certainly not made of stern stuff - they are the meek little weaklings to whom the comfort of the past and all they are familar with is more attractive than the potential of an exciting future. They are the people who become scared at the prospect of change and are unable to enjoy its journey, wherever it may lead.

They are sad and unsatisfied more often than those who embrace the revolution, whatever its ultimate outcome.

Viva la revolution!!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 03 Sep 2009 20:49

TBH I'd rather watch SHunt and Harper run around the pitch showing no techincal talent. :?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 Sep 2009 20:50

winchester_royal

According to some on here James Harper is a dreadful Championship player, yet he's been in the PFA team of the year for about four of the last eight seasons.

Archies Volley II

by Archies Volley II » 03 Sep 2009 20:53

Royal Rother
Armadillo Roadkill You're made of sterner stuff than me if you're not excited about the revolution.

People who are scared of revolution are certainly not made of stern stuff - they are the meek little weaklings to whom the comfort of the past and all they are familar with is more attractive than the potential of an exciting future. They are the people who become scared at the prospect of change and are unable to enjoy its journey, wherever it may lead.

They are sad and unsatisfied more often than those who embrace the revolution, whatever its ultimate outcome.

Viva la revolution!!

Seems there are quite a few who are scared of the revolution purely based on how much it (hasn't) cost rather than how much has changed!

All the talk of shipping out the Coppel players is only because they left for millions and the revolution players have arrived for thousands.

I suspect most who are scared of our effort would love a Man City revolution.

I, for what its worth, am excited by our revolution.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 03 Sep 2009 20:53

sandman
winchester_royal

According to some on here James Harper is a dreadful Championship player, yet he's been in the PFA team of the year for about four of the last eight seasons.

I don't think anyone has said Harps is a dreadful Champ player. Just that he went rather stale here.

165 posts