Shaun Cummings

223 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Shaun Cummings

by Ian Royal » 16 Sep 2009 23:54

obviously less experienced than Rosenior and very raw, but give him another 3 or 4 games and you'll start to see why we binned LOLiam and got him in.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 16 Sep 2009 23:56

Para Handy Floyd. I like you a lot mate.. But I'm getting the feeling that you're not keeping the faith here.

Hello Para. I get this feeling with Rodgers that he might be the footballing Peter Mandelson; all rhetoric and soundbites, precious little to back it up.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 17 Sep 2009 00:38

The whole year inn Just HOW do players that have spent TEN YEARS playing for various levels of Chelsea's youth/reserve teams, with substantial loan periods also under their belt look so completely and utterly lacking in football knowledge?

It just doesn't make sense - he looks like a Golden Gamble winner that has won 90 minutes with the first team

LOL and 'greed. It's bewildering how uncomfortable he looks with the ball at his feet when he's had such a prestigious footballing education.

I'm not writing him off, don't get me wrong, but my word there's a lot of work to do there.

The Royal We

by The Royal We » 17 Sep 2009 00:47

floyd__streete
Para Handy Floyd. I like you a lot mate.. But I'm getting the feeling that you're not keeping the faith here.

Hello Para. I get this feeling with Rodgers that he might be the footballing Peter Mandelson; all rhetoric and soundbites, precious little to back it up.

"all rhetoric and soundbites" - isn't that David Cameron.......?! Sorry, wrong board!

Either way, there's some David Brent in there too! :lol:

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 17 Sep 2009 00:50

Maguire
The whole year inn Just HOW do players that have spent TEN YEARS playing for various levels of Chelsea's youth/reserve teams, with substantial loan periods also under their belt look so completely and utterly lacking in football knowledge?

It just doesn't make sense - he looks like a Golden Gamble winner that has won 90 minutes with the first team

LOL and 'greed. It's bewildering how uncomfortable he looks with the ball at his feet when he's had such a prestigious footballing education.

I'm not writing him off, don't get me wrong, but my word there's a lot of work to do there.

Can either of you name a fairly successful Chelsea academy graduate, other than obviously John Terry and I guess Carlton Cole, from the last few years to back up this view?

Maybe you both hold their academy in a much higher regard than reality does...

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 Sep 2009 00:57

The Royal We
floyd__streete

"all rhetoric and soundbites" - isn't that David Cameron.......?! Sorry, wrong board!

Either way, there's some David Brent in there too! :lol:

If things go really bad he can always turn to this Brentism "If you want the rainbow you've got to put up with the rain". Do you know which "philosopher" said that? Dolly Parton. And people say she's just a big pair of tits."

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 17 Sep 2009 00:58

floyd__streete

Nail. Squarely. Hit. On. Head.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 17 Sep 2009 01:03

Thomas L'Heureux
Maguire

Can either of you name a fairly successful Chelsea academy graduate, other than obviously John Terry and I guess Carlton Cole, from the last few years to back up this view?

Maybe you both hold their academy in a much higher regard than reality does...

Michael Mancienne has been in the England squad. Sam Hutchinson has played in the Premier League for Chelsea this season.

Not that I think you've asked a very good question tbh.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 17 Sep 2009 08:20

Ian Royal obviously less experienced than Rosenior and very raw, but give him another 3 or 4 games and you'll start to see why we binned LOLiam and got him in.

I can see why already - cheaper wages

I think the RB position is perhaps cursed for RFC? Rosenior & Cummings have both tried to fill the void left by Murty and both look like they'd be about suited to Sunday League

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 17 Sep 2009 08:22

Big Foot
Ian Royal obviously less experienced than Rosenior and very raw, but give him another 3 or 4 games and you'll start to see why we binned LOLiam and got him in.

I think the RB position is perhaps cursed for RFC? Rosenior & Cummings have both tried to fill the void left by Murty and both look like they'd be about suited to Sunday League

I was just thinking that I wouldn't mind a run-out.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 17 Sep 2009 08:24

Big Foot I think the RB position is perhaps cursed for RFC? Rosenior & Cummings have both tried to fill the void left by Murty and both look like they'd be about suited to Sunday League

Perhaps that says more about the supporters than the players or the position. No-one replacing an RFC favourite is ever allowed any time or latitude - if they're not as good as who they're replacing from day one they get abused.

Seol, Oster and Kebe have all received massive abuse for the crime of not being Glen Little - but the worst right-winger we've had in the past two years, Glen Little himself, was absolute rubbish and completely unfit but seemed above criticism.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 17 Sep 2009 08:30

There were plenty criticising Little last season when he came back and it was actually quite sadening to see such a good player perform so poorly. However good Little was 05-07, prior to that he wasn't actually very good. I remember him being here on loan in 02/03 and several very poor displays.

I don't really think you can defend Oster. Kebe however, at the start of last season he looked like a world beater! He also gives us plenty of width when the rest of our play is ultra 1 dimensional and through the middle :|

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 17 Sep 2009 08:43

floyd__streete

well after all as Rodgers likes to remind us time and again we are in a 'new cycle' except at the moment the spokes have come off...

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 17 Sep 2009 08:44

Big Foot

too true we had to endure andy bernal pre graeme murty

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 17 Sep 2009 08:51

floyd__streete I get this feeling with Rodgers that he might be the footballing Peter Mandelson; all rhetoric and soundbites, precious little to back it up.

Or, as my Gran would say, "All fur coat and no knickers."

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 17 Sep 2009 08:53

chilipepper91 There's a reason Chelsea let us have this guy permanently and Bertrand only on loan.

Bertrand can take on a man.
Bertrand can defend.
Bertrand can put a cross in the box.

why did this guy even command a fee then!! he seems like a less attacking version of rosenior

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 17 Sep 2009 09:22

Cummings looks very neverous and looks to be a liability.

Postionally when defending he does not know what to do and when Kebe came on he did not know how to play with him what do they practice in training.

Where were the overlaps and runs to the defenders away?

Dawn

by Dawn » 17 Sep 2009 09:27

Dirk Gently I wonder if he's too worried about being caught out of position and leaving a big hole behind him.

I think this is the main problem. The system we are playing is so narrow that he has no outlet on the wing. So he either tries to take on the player or plays the ball inside. I think he's scared of taking on the opposition because he's worried of losing the ball and leaving a big gap in defence. So he starts to move forward and realises he has no option outside him so he plays the ball inside as thats the safer option.

Ryn

by Ryn » 17 Sep 2009 09:35

We should rename him Short Comings, as he has lots of them.

Defensively he's ok, surely no worse than Rosenior. Same concerns about lack of competition for the position now.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 17 Sep 2009 09:40

Ryn We should rename him Short Comings, as he has lots of them.

Defensively he's ok, surely no worse than Rosenior. Same concerns about lack of competition for the position now.

Funnily enough, I was pretty happy with Rosenior's defensive capabilities, it was when he had the ball at his feet that in all broke down. Fair enough, he went through that spell in the Premiership in which he kept slipping over at vital times, but certainly in the Championship I'd rate him as one of the best right-backs in the division when talking purely defensively.

It's too early to judge Cummings though in my opinion. In the last two games he has made two very crucial interceptions but other than that I can't remember a great deal of what he's done. But in saying that, it's better than reeling off a ton of mistakes. Hopefully as he adapts to his team-mates and gains confidence from playing, he'll start to move forward, but it must be said, he was very isolated on the right whenever he did have the ball, meaning that Whittingham and their left back was ahead of him. The ball inside was the easiest option on most occassions, and the right choice in terms of retaining possession.

Just give him a chance, eh?

223 posts