You're the manager - what would you do?

169 posts
M U R T Y

Re: You're the manager - what would you do?

by M U R T Y » 21 Sep 2009 13:47

Dorset-Knob
Ryn
M U R T Y The only reason people are clammering for a return to 4-4-2 is because they don't understand any other system. Rodgers has abandoned 4-4-2 because he has realised that most of the top european teams who play good football have moved on from the out-dated 4-4-2 and are bearing the fruition.

That would be fine if we were a top european team.

Yeah of course its the fans fault that we don't understand why we're crap! please :roll:

That's not what I said, is it?

I'm merely demonstrating that 4-4-2 is not the answer, time and patience would be of benefit though...

Ryn

by Ryn » 21 Sep 2009 13:48

ZacNaloen But the goals scored doesn't tell the whole story.

That being that they couldn't touch us in the first half and we were utter oxf*rd in the second.

Might not tell the whole story but they certainly give the ending away ;)

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 21 Sep 2009 13:48

I would simply be scouring the planet for a decent striker at this level to get on loan and pronto.

Ryn

by Ryn » 21 Sep 2009 13:49

MURTY have you got some examples of other clubs at our level who play a 4-3-3? It would be interesting to compare against us.

M U R T Y

by M U R T Y » 21 Sep 2009 13:53

Unfortunately not! Any volunteers welcome!

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 21 Sep 2009 13:53

do you avoid relegation because you took more positives from games than other teams?

or is there another rule I am unaware of that you avoid relagtion because you played 5 players under 21?

or perhaps I missed the " getting better over the course of the season" column in the table?

I am sure the stat that matters is scoring more than you concede!

I think you are being far too simplistic with your analysis at this point in the rebuild when you take into account how drastic all the changes at the club have been and also that you are completely missing my point.

A few lost games now is better than a season of shitty football with no sign that anyone has a clue what they are doing.

At the moment, yes we are losing games, but I've seen huge improvements in every game.

On Saturday they faced a challenge they hadn't seen yet and again the naivety showed through but on evidence of the past few games they will learn.

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 21 Sep 2009 13:57

I'd keep playing decent football, knowing that deep down it will work out alright in the end. Meanwhile, i'd be LOL'ing inside at numpties on an internet message board calling for my head.

Ryn

by Ryn » 21 Sep 2009 13:59

I agree we're definitely getting better, but the lack of mental toughness on Saturday was really indicative of the young, inexperienced side we are being forced to field at the moment.

Ryn

by Ryn » 21 Sep 2009 14:01

M U R T Y Unfortunately not! Any volunteers welcome!

Please let me know when you do. I think 4-5-1 and 4-4-2 are the most common formations at this level for a reason.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 21 Sep 2009 14:07

Hugo Boss I'd keep playing decent football, knowing that deep down it will work out alright in the end. Meanwhile, i'd be LOL'ing inside at numpties on an internet message board calling for my head.

In fairness, how many people are actually calling for his head?

Four or five out of several hundred. The vast majority would accept that, whether or not they think he is the right choice, having made that choice, we should stick with it until at least christmas, although they feel entitled to criticise along the way.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 21 Sep 2009 15:54

Dirk Gently
Pseud O'Nym
Negative_Jeff Then turn to more important issues.... such as getting rid of our cretin of a PA announcer.

I cannot believe that anyone who has actually been to any games wouldn't realise that the place to start is getting rid of that sodding drummer.

Perhaps we ought to put in a bid for Peterborough's drummer ..... :wink:

Or borrow the egg chaser's drummers who actually sound like they have rehearsed and don't sound like the rabbit that lost out to the duracell bunny before they've even started

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Sep 2009 16:02

Ryn
M U R T Y Unfortunately not! Any volunteers welcome!

Please let me know when you do. I think 4-5-1 and 4-4-2 are the most common formations at this level for a reason.

We haven't played one formation enough to say what we play yet though!

We've hardly played 4-3-3 in my eyes. It's more 4-1-3-2 recently, and 4-5-1 attempting to be 4-3-3 before that.

I think it's partly where Rodgers has gone a bit wrong whilst trying to find what's worked to be honest.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 21 Sep 2009 16:28

Personally i feel we need to get rid of that "holding midfield" role especially when at home. These players are young and fit enough to get up and down the park - Karacan could be the next sidwell if he puts his mind to it and Sigi could play along side him as the creative man

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 21 Sep 2009 16:53

CholseyRoyal
Terminal Boardom Resign :lol:

No he can't resign, he'd never get another managerial job with this present record.

He should be ashamed to take another job,he denied he was going to Reading and then went behind Watfords back knowing all along he was coming here(At least we got someone who hates us now at last)we dont want him he is not good enough

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 21 Sep 2009 17:48

I wouldn't pay any attention to RFC's moronic fans, and stick to my principles.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 21 Sep 2009 18:43

Royal Lady I'd stop fannying about with pretty formations and go with 4-4-2. I'd dump my Big Book of Soccer Tactics in favour of speaking to my coaching staff and, if necessary, asking JM and Hammond for a more experienced bloke to come in and takeover some of the coaching. I'd be slightly more measured in what I say to the media and I wouldn't try and big up the fans when I know that the majority of them are mightily pizzed off.

So you'd play 4-4-2 like we have in the last 2 games anyway and have someone experienced coaching us like Frank Lampard Snr? :lol:

runrunrunrungilksey

by runrunrunrungilksey » 21 Sep 2009 20:06

Ask Derren Brown to come and do some coaching?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 21 Sep 2009 20:55

Royalee
Royal Lady I'd stop fannying about with pretty formations and go with 4-4-2. I'd dump my Big Book of Soccer Tactics in favour of speaking to my coaching staff and, if necessary, asking JM and Hammond for a more experienced bloke to come in and takeover some of the coaching. I'd be slightly more measured in what I say to the media and I wouldn't try and big up the fans when I know that the majority of them are mightily pizzed off.

So you'd play 4-4-2 like we have in the last 2 games anyway and have someone experienced coaching us like Frank Lampard Snr? :lol:

It's well documented on other threads that I have questioned just what Lampard Snr does at this club and whatever it is, it doesn't appear to be working. I have already said a Coppell or Curbishley type person to mentor what is obviously a manager slightly out of his depth at the moment - perhaps until the end of the season.

Why I bother discussing anything with you, I don't know. We're poles apart on everything - you'll back Rodgers no matter what and defend the tactics - so there's no point trying to say what I think, because you'll just ridicule it, like you do everyone else who disagrees with your stance.

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 21 Sep 2009 22:30

Royalee

That's a bit disingenuous, innit? Playing 4 central midfielders in diamond is a long way from the traditional 4-4-2 with wingers that you know full well she was referring to.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 22 Sep 2009 10:15

Royalee

And how much coaching experience does Fat Fwanks Daddy actually got?

169 posts