James Henry - LOL

165 posts
Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

Re: James Henry - LOL

by Sun Tzu » 17 Nov 2009 18:27

Henry isn't really a classic winger.

He's just as comfortable in attack or central midfield, where he's played quite regularly for the reserves over the years.

He's certainly not a winger in the touchline hugging / full back skinning mode

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Nov 2009 18:34

Sun Tzu Henry isn't really a classic winger.

He's just as comfortable in attack or central midfield, where he's played quite regularly for the reserves over the years.

He's certainly not a winger in the touchline hugging / full back skinning mode

more of a right midfielder, or advanced midfielder?

perhaps, that one of the reasons hes not made it yet- its just not known whathis best position/formation is yet

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 17 Nov 2009 18:47

Could be right Brendy. Just needs to find his niche. Potentially I could see him and Sigardsson being pretty effective as the outer two of a four man midfield (although I prefer a couple of out and out wingers !). A four of Karajan, Davis, Sigardsson and Henry in a couple of years would be very interesting. Church up front, maybe Baggie-Bell coming through.... I still think we've got the makings of a pretty useful home produced side.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Nov 2009 18:50

Sun Tzu Could be right Brendy. Just needs to find his niche. Potentially I could see him and Sigardsson being pretty effective as the outer two of a four man midfield (although I prefer a couple of out and out wingers !). A four of Karajan, Davis, Sigardsson and Henry in a couple of years would be very interesting. Church up front, maybe Baggie-Bell coming through.... I still think we've got the makings of a pretty useful home produced side.

me too

just hope we stay up, and they stick around and get opportunitys, so we can make the most of them all

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 17 Nov 2009 19:22

brendywendy greed

the madness of schards innit

If you say something happened enough times then it will be so.

thus large parts of history, and Schards thoughts, is formed.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Nov 2009 19:50

Sun Tzu Could be right Brendy. Just needs to find his niche. Potentially I could see him and Sigardsson being pretty effective as the outer two of a four man midfield (although I prefer a couple of out and out wingers !). A four of Karajan, Davis, Sigardsson and Henry in a couple of years would be very interesting. Church up front, maybe Baggie-Bell coming through.... I still think we've got the makings of a pretty useful home produced side.

Sig is ok wide, but I much prefer him sat behind the striker or in a more conventional central midfield role.

Henry does have a very good eye for goal, which should in theory make him an ideal candidate for Rodger's 4-2-3-1 formation in the wide right slot. He just hasn't really lived up to his promise.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 Nov 2009 20:05

brendywendy Dont even like long that much. No idea why im defending him. But henry is currently bit part in league 1. And ill take trappatonis view over anyones on here,including my own!

That would be the same Trapattoni who is constantly criticised in Ireland for not going to enough club games. He hardly has an abundance of striking talent to choose from either.

bootboy

by bootboy » 17 Nov 2009 20:58

Ian Royal

Sig is ok wide, but I much prefer him sat behind the striker or in a more conventional central midfield role.

Henry does have a very good eye for goal, which should in theory make him an ideal candidate for Rodger's 4-2-3-1 formation in the wide right slot. He just hasn't really lived up to his promise.

Henry has struggled all season with hamstring problems, 'a la Ryan Giggs', and is still suffering with this problem hence the last couple of weeks playing a cameo role at Millwall. I understand from a close friend of his dad that he will be returning to RFC this week for rehab etc. to try to overcome his problem. Apparently it stems from the graft he had for his knee cruciate ligament repair. Maybe this is why he has struggled to come to the fore this season.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 17 Nov 2009 21:03

bootboy
Ian Royal

Henry has struggled all season with hamstring problems, 'a la Ryan Giggs', and is still suffering with this problem hence the last couple of weeks playing a cameo role at Millwall. I understand from a close friend of his dad that he will be returning to RFC this week for rehab etc. to try to overcome his problem. Apparently it stems from the graft he had for his knee cruciate ligament repair. Maybe this is why he has struggled to come to the fore this season.

Interesting info bootboy.

Seems odd to have loaned him out if he was carrying an injury though, presumably they were expecting him to be able to play through it ?

bootboy

by bootboy » 17 Nov 2009 21:20

Sun Tzu
bootboy
Ian Royal Could be right Brendy. Just needs to find his niche. Potentially I could see him and Sigardsson being pretty effective as the outer two of a four man midfield (although I prefer a couple of out and out wingers !). A four of Karajan, Davis, Sigardsson and Henry in a couple of years would be very interesting. Church up front, maybe Baggie-Bell coming through.... I still think we've got the makings of a pretty useful home produced side.

Interesting info bootboy.

Seems odd to have loaned him out if he was carrying an injury though, presumably they were expecting him to be able to play through it ?[/quote]

Maybe. Hamstrings can be fickle muscles especially ones that have had a graft removed from them. If not at full strength they can incur small tears if overworked. It can take a long time for the strength to rebuild in the muscle and may not return fully as part of it is missing.

Y25

by Y25 » 17 Nov 2009 22:10

I'd rather he was back here anyway.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Nov 2009 09:41

sandman
brendywendy Dont even like long that much. No idea why im defending him. But henry is currently bit part in league 1. And ill take trappatonis view over anyones on here,including my own!

That would be the same Trapattoni who is constantly criticised in Ireland for not going to enough club games. He hardly has an abundance of striking talent to choose from either.

LOL

trappatoni>>>>>>>>sandman

he took ireland through a qualifying campaign unbeaten ffs

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 18 Nov 2009 09:56

brendywendy
sandman

LOL

trappatoni>>>>>>>>sandman

he took ireland through a qualifying campaign unbeaten ffs

Spacey Mode On>> they lost on Saturday in a game which was, technically, a part of their qualifying campaign<<Spacey Mode Off

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Nov 2009 10:41

LOL

no no no spacey- thats all wrong

+ its only half time!

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 18 Nov 2009 11:18

Good to hear that the lads in good form atm. I'd keep him out on loan for now though, and hopefully he'll keep that form up and bring it to Reading when he comes back.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 18 Nov 2009 12:45

:shock: . As if I'm really suggesting I'm better than Trapattoni one of the best in the world. Nice one genius :lol: .

It is well known in Ireland that the manager doesn't go to club matches very often as is proved by the fact the in form Andy Reid is continually overlooked for reasons that are seemingly personal rather than footballing.The fact that he also picked Long over N Hunt last season while the former was warming our bench and the latter was scoring goals in the starting line up may also give you a clue as to the amount of games Trapattoni actually watches.

I hardly think pointing out that he doesn't have that many players to choose from in a country of just under four and a half million is a criticism of his management.If anything it is a complement that he can do so well with the limited talent pool available.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Nov 2009 13:26

regardless of how good/bad he is, i still maintain, quite rightly, that trappatoni >>>>>sandman

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 18 Nov 2009 14:36

When have I said that one of the best managers in the world is a bad manager? These aren't even my criticisms they are made by the Irish media and fans.You aren't a bright person are you? Never speak again.

yappy

by yappy » 18 Nov 2009 15:34

sandman It is well known in Ireland that the manager doesn't go to club matches very often as is proved by the fact the in form Andy Reid is continually overlooked for reasons that are seemingly personal rather than footballing.The fact that he also picked Long over N Hunt last season while the former was warming our bench and the latter was scoring goals in the starting line up may also give you a clue as to the amount of games Trapattoni actually watches.

People seem to forget there is more to international management than just picking the best individuals, its about having the best team possible. One of the main problems England have had in the last years were that we were trying to put the best 11 individuals on the teamsheet. Obviously Gerrard and Lampard are the two best central midfielders we have, but you need a Barry, Carrick or a Hargreaves to get the balance right.

No offence to Noel, but I'd rather have Long off the bench than him, and Noel wasn't realistically going to start, so I think his decision makes sense. I will agree with you on Andy Reid though.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 18 Nov 2009 16:25

yappy
sandman It is well known in Ireland that the manager doesn't go to club matches very often as is proved by the fact the in form Andy Reid is continually overlooked for reasons that are seemingly personal rather than footballing.The fact that he also picked Long over N Hunt last season while the former was warming our bench and the latter was scoring goals in the starting line up may also give you a clue as to the amount of games Trapattoni actually watches.

People seem to forget there is more to international management than just picking the best individuals, its about having the best team possible. One of the main problems England have had in the last years were that we were trying to put the best 11 individuals on the teamsheet. Obviously Gerrard and Lampard are the two best central midfielders we have, but you need a Barry, Carrick or a Hargreaves to get the balance right.

No offence to Noel, but I'd rather have Long off the bench than him, and Noel wasn't realistically going to start, so I think his decision makes sense. I will agree with you on Andy Reid though.

Which probably sums up Long's entire career up to this point. Bench player and no more.

165 posts