Alternatives

160 posts
79Royal

Re: Alternatives

by 79Royal » 05 Oct 2009 14:38

No doubt there are plenty of alternatives, but I'm worried that we'd end up with a manager who'll just keep us up playing turgid football season after season. We might stay up, but we wouldn't go anywhere either.

For now at least, I think we have to stick with Rodgers and his seemingly random team selections. At least he is changing it up and eventually, though God knows when, he'll get lucky and stumble across a team and formation that works. When he does, I think he'll be able to maximise the potential. Problem is, unfortunately, he quite clearly has no idea what his best team is yet, nor how to find the right one.

Forget the money, the Chairman and the mythical Arabs, Lady Luck is the one who'll have the biggest say on our season.

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 05 Oct 2009 14:45

I see Exeter a bit down here and Tisdale is a good prospect, with a team who are enjoyable to watch.

Pardew was underated and missed out on the fruition of a lot of good ground work, (IMHO if he'd got more games after the TB fiasco we could have avoided relegation years ago)

Curbishley knows how many beans make five

Parky, the best man for a relegation struggle, he'd pick up the team and carry it over the finish line!

so for me,

1. Pardew (best option)
2. Curbishley (best high value option)
3. Tisdale, (best budget option)
4. Parky (best sentimental option)

dariusz

by dariusz » 05 Oct 2009 14:57

Ian Royal Coppell
Curbishley - who I wanted originally
Ferguson, D
Parkinson...

What's Dariusz doing these days? He was pretty successful abroad for a while. :lol:

I'm back in the uk now tho would like to finish my playing career before moving into management!

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 05 Oct 2009 15:00

Dorset-Knob I see Exeter a bit down here and Tisdale is a good prospect, with a team who are enjoyable to watch.

Pardew was underated and missed out on the fruition of a lot of good ground work, (IMHO if he'd got more games after the TB fiasco we could have avoided relegation years ago)

Parky, the best man for a relegation struggle, he'd pick up the team and carry it over the finish line!

so for me,

1. Pardew (best option)

LOL. Have you given up on Holloway already after a couple of defeats?

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 05 Oct 2009 15:02

Anything is better than the incumbent Special Needs' One.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 05 Oct 2009 15:07

Pardew.

Almost got it in the summer.

Would cost a lot of money now though.

As when people would talk about replacements for Coppell, when you realise what is out there you tend to look at what you have in a better light....

Dolan maybe?

Scylla

by Scylla » 05 Oct 2009 15:18

Uke
Row Z Royal
Uke A radical choice would be Gabriella Benson. A proven manageress who has performed well on the big stage.

I refer you to Eleanor Aldroyd's Fighting Talk-winning DTI on Saturday.

But Gabriella has a genuine connection with RFC as the first woman manager of a British professional football team

She's been out of the game for a long time now.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 05 Oct 2009 15:22

Scylla
Uke Gabriella has a genuine connection with RFC as the first woman manager of a British professional football team

She's been out of the game for a long time now.

But matured well and could be a matronly figure willing to take our young players in hand

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 05 Oct 2009 15:52

Vision
Dorset-Knob I see Exeter a bit down here and Tisdale is a good prospect, with a team who are enjoyable to watch.

so for me,

1. Pardew (best option)

LOL. Have you given up on Holloway already after a couple of defeats?

I do like him and rate him, but never pleaded the case for Holloway in particular, but would have considered him and swapped him for Rodgers all day long in a transitional season.

For the record I have said "I don't care who the manager is, as long as the team is successful"

Holloway is effective at this level, apparently more so than BR in spite of two recent defeats, check the table!

I wanted/hoped/expected BR to succeed, I also now think we made a mistake with him and would be delighted if he proved me wrong, but it's getting close to melt down if we don't act soon, or at least in the 'change him at the end of November for the new manager to have December to consider and January to move on his targets scenario'! :wink:

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 05 Oct 2009 16:24

floyd__streete
winchester_royal If it comes to it......

Eddie Howe or Lee Clark.

Oh that is spot on.....let us replace our young and inexperienced manager with another young and inexperienced manager with absolutely zero experience of managing in the Championship :|

Yet when your fellow STG mentions Paul Tisdale you neglect to pick him up on that.

No doubt you'd probably welcome Ferguson jnr. who is similarly inexperienced at champ level.

Howe has worked wonders with Bournemouth, and to discard him because he is 'inexperienced' is filth.

How experienced was Pardew?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 05 Oct 2009 16:42

Ideal
winchester_royal Yet when your fellow STG mentions Paul Tisdale you neglect to pick him up on that.

Tisdale has several seasons under his belt. Rodgers has half a season.
I think it is quite an achievement to take Exeter as far as Tisdale has on that ridiculous shoestring budget they are on.
They continually lose their best players to bigger clubs. James Coppinger, Dean Moxey, Jamie Mackie, Billy Jones and George Friend for example, have all left for bigger and better things, despite this Tisdale still got them promoted twice.
To me this indicates their success was not so much down to individual players as it was down to their manager having them play an efficient system that wins them matches. They got promoted with a real ragged bunch of rejects. Rob Edwards anyone?
And despite what people would think, they play nice football, they pass the ball - yet they pass it in an efficient way, very much unlike what we do!
You could say they do it right, we do it wrong.

We're not arguing the merits of Rodgers here Ideal, I'm merely saying that Howe would be an interesting candidate were we to find ourselves in need of a new manager.

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 05 Oct 2009 16:43

Ideal
winchester_royal Yet when your fellow STG mentions Paul Tisdale you neglect to pick him up on that.

Tisdale has several seasons under his belt. Rodgers has half a season.
I think it is quite an achievement to take Exeter as far as Tisdale has on that ridiculous shoestring budget they are on.
They continually lose their best players to bigger clubs. James Coppinger, Dean Moxey, Jamie Mackie, Billy Jones and George Friend for example, have all left for bigger and better things, despite this Tisdale still got them promoted twice.
To me this indicates their success was not so much down to individual players as it was down to their manager having them play an efficient system that wins them matches. They got promoted with a real ragged bunch of rejects. Rob Edwards anyone?
And despite what people would think, they play nice football, they pass the ball - yet they pass it in an efficient way, very much unlike what we do!
You could say they do it right, we do it wrong.

See them at home for three years now and he is simply correct!

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 05 Oct 2009 20:12

Makes me :( when you consider Tisdale was interested.

From riding low in the conference to midtable in League one in 3 years. With no money. Or resources apart from the youth side and non-league purchases/loans

But then again I imagine he didn't have a bumper book of tactics for his interview...

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Oct 2009 21:30

winchester_royal

Now that we mention him, how well did he do 13 games into his time here?

How quickly we forget chants of "Pardew out" and pants day.

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 06 Oct 2009 11:19

2 world wars, 1 world cup
winchester_royal

Now that we mention him, how well did he do 13 games into his time here?

How quickly we forget chants of "Pardew out" and pants day.

Yeah you're right, BR has done more than enough to deserve his own 'out' chants and an undercracker day! :wink:

westongeezer

by westongeezer » 06 Oct 2009 11:59

The guy in Y26 he definatley knows more than BR and tbh probley would do better

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 06 Oct 2009 12:24

79Royal Forget the money, the Chairman and the mythical Arabs, Lady Luck is the one who'll have the biggest say on our season.

Rubbish. We'll end up where we deserve to end up whether that be first, tenth or 24th.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 06 Oct 2009 12:26

Man Friday
79Royal Forget the money, the Chairman and the mythical Arabs, Lady Luck is the one who'll have the biggest say on our season.

Rubbish. We'll end up where we deserve to end up whether that be first, tenth or 24th.

LOL. How narrow minded you are.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 06 Oct 2009 12:28

Our Academy team manager on caretaker basis - see how he does then Curbishley or Tisdale. Inconceivable we'd go down with Curbishley IMO.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 06 Oct 2009 12:28

Errm, he's absolutely spot on. After 46 games you finish where you deserve to finish. Luck plays no part, it's manager's speak when you're struggling.

160 posts