Alternatives

160 posts
Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Alternatives

by Terminal Boardom » 10 Oct 2009 18:56

Gary Glitter could be joining the coaching staff shortly. Apparently, he has bags of experience when it comes to playing with kids.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 10 Oct 2009 19:03

Terminal Boardom Gary Glitter could be joining the coaching staff shortly. Apparently, he has bags of experience when it comes to playing with kids.

I can see the headline now:

Gary Glitter, Rodgers, kids.

Far Canal

by Far Canal » 10 Oct 2009 19:26

Ian Royal
Do you actually have more than 3 braincells?

How many brain cells did it take to come up with that line?

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 10 Oct 2009 20:58

Deathy as manager
Ian Royal as assistant

Royalee as kitman.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Oct 2009 22:34

Far Canal
Ian Royal

How many brain cells did it take to come up with that line?

7, I was using the other 37 billion to think about solving the economic crisis and bringing about world peace. Oh and shagging Beyonce.

There is no way I'd ever accept Deathy being my boss. That would be like asking Stephen Hawking to be employed by one of the Krankies.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 11 Oct 2009 15:39

Ian Royal FFS, we have committed to spending £2m on him, regardless of how much he cost upfront, we still have to have accounted to be able to pay the whole fee.

You can't just pay the bit upfront and hope you'll find the rest later if it becomes due.

...err.. so you think we have to hold back £0.9 million in reserve in case we go up?

You don't think the extra cash we'd get if we went up might just cover it?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Oct 2009 15:46

Ian Royal FFS, we have committed to spending £2m on him, regardless of how much he cost upfront, we still have to have accounted to be able to pay the whole fee.

You can't just pay the bit upfront and hope you'll find the rest later if it becomes due.

...err.. so you think we have to hold back £0.9 million in reserve in case we go up?

Firstly, we don't know exactly what the structure of the deal is. Secondly it has to be accounted for now, because we have no idea what the future will hold in terms of increase in revenue from being promoted, should that be a caluse that triggers a further payment.

Do you think our fans would be happy for us going up and saying "we're only spending £xm on new players, because the rest of the £ym we've got available for improving the squad is going on additional fees for players we've already bought and have been playing for us for z years"?

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 11 Oct 2009 21:02

Ian Royal

Firstly, we don't know exactly what the structure of the deal is. Secondly it has to be accounted for now, because we have no idea what the future will hold in terms of increase in revenue from being promoted, should that be a caluse that triggers a further payment.

Do you think our fans would be happy for us going up and saying "we're only spending £xm on new players, because the rest of the £ym we've got available for improving the squad is going on additional fees for players we've already bought and have been playing for us for z years"?

Yes, because they are quite well aware of the concept of bonus payments.

They'd also prefer that over the club saying we can't spend £2 million this year as we'd have to pay it if we went up. The loss from not spending £2million if promoted has far less of an impact that not spending £2 million in the championship.

working class hero

by working class hero » 11 Oct 2009 21:35

My preference was for the Club to beg Copp to stay on and offer him plenty more wages.

When that didn't happen I wanted Pardew.

Now we have a guy who has been set up to take a massive fall.
I think BR talks a lot of crap - but he is paid to talk up our chances and it would hardly do team morale any good if he talked the truth!
I suspect he may be sacked soon [or may walk] - but I don't think it will change anything. The mistake has been to gut the squad and ruin the brick on brick approach we have seen over 8 years or so...

We are now down to the foundations. I reckon we will possibly be relegated. I also reckon BR could - if given time - get us back to the PL.

In the interim let us hope the club endeavour to keep Mr M away from the press and that BR stops speaking in hyperboles.
Let's hear it for 'it may take a few seasons but we will rebuild'.... BR deserves time, let us give it to him. If you wish to boo then boo the Board!

Ryn

by Ryn » 12 Oct 2009 09:35

We don't mind the rebuilding, if that's what the club say they are doing.

It's the fact that we're rebuilding, but the club maintain that we are challenging for promotion that makes me sick.

Stick with Brendan or sack him, either way cut the bullshit.

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 12 Oct 2009 10:36

Ryn We don't mind the rebuilding, if that's what the club say they are doing.

It's the fact that we're rebuilding, but the club maintain that we are challenging for promotion that makes me sick.

Fair point. This team, which should be low mid table at least on ability, is struggling at the foot of a mediocre division, dominated by 3-4 very good sides. Promotion this season is about as likely as an intelligent comment from an X Factor judge. Sir JM is doing little to quell the inevitable speculation, which can only increase the pressure on the squad.

Ryn

by Ryn » 12 Oct 2009 10:56

bobby m's syrup
Ryn We don't mind the rebuilding, if that's what the club say they are doing.

Fair point. This team, which should be low mid table at least on ability, is struggling at the foot of a mediocre division, dominated by 3-4 very good sides. Promotion this season is about as likely as an intelligent comment from an X Factor judge. Sir JM is doing little to quell the inevitable speculation, which can only increase the pressure on the squad.

Indeed. Cut the squad some slack by telling them (and us) that mid-table is fine for this season, and we'll be 'desperately' seeking promotion next year instead.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 12 Oct 2009 11:33

Hey come on fellas, be fair, doesn't SJM say every time that we sign a player that this "shows the determination of the club to get back to the Premiership" I think that says it all !!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 12 Oct 2009 16:26

winchester_royal
Alan Partridge Errm, he's absolutely spot on. After 46 games you finish where you deserve to finish. Luck plays no part, it's manager's speak when you're struggling.

Of course luck plays a part. To say it doesn't is utter shite. So much of football is decided by lucky bounces, ref decision, injuries etc.... And to say it 'balances out' through the season is bull.

Over 46 games, luck is probably number 100 on the list that that judges where you finish, if you are honest with yourself. Or you could just hide behind the fact that I signed a load of shit players, played some weird systems, the players weren't good enough, but we had an unlucky bounce against Scunthorpe.

No it's a smokescreen. In every single match you have lucky things go for you and some go against. I totally disagree that it plays a big part over that amount of time, were Reading lucky to get 106 points? No we were better than everyone else and by miles. We were unlucky to go down on goal difference? No. Don't concede 7 and 6 in league matches.

It's got nothing to do with luck that Reading are 4th bottom. We've sold off whatever good players we have, replaced them with inferior players, playing a system that is totally alien to the players we have, but you and Brendan keep just hoping for that 'change of luck'. It'll be fine.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 12 Oct 2009 22:05

Alan Partridge
winchester_royal
Alan Partridge Errm, he's absolutely spot on. After 46 games you finish where you deserve to finish. Luck plays no part, it's manager's speak when you're struggling.

Of course luck plays a part. To say it doesn't is utter shite. So much of football is decided by lucky bounces, ref decision, injuries etc.... And to say it 'balances out' through the season is bull.

Over 46 games, luck is probably number 100 on the list that that judges where you finish, if you are honest with yourself. Or you could just hide behind the fact that I signed a load of shit players, played some weird systems, the players weren't good enough, but we had an unlucky bounce against Scunthorpe.

No it's a smokescreen. In every single match you have lucky things go for you and some go against. I totally disagree that it plays a big part over that amount of time, were Reading lucky to get 106 points? No we were better than everyone else and by miles. We were unlucky to go down on goal difference? No. Don't concede 7 and 6 in league matches.

It's got nothing to do with luck that Reading are 4th bottom. We've sold off whatever good players we have, replaced them with inferior players, playing a system that is totally alien to the players we have, but you and Brendan keep just hoping for that 'change of luck'. It'll be fine.

POTD and +1. If the club are going to pay peanuts, they will get monkeys. This team - as it stands - is patently not good enough for this division. We are where we are because we are shit, not because of luck of either persuasion.

semtex1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The sneering condescension of the remain ultras.....

by semtex1871 » 12 Oct 2009 22:29

Alf Critchley......

Ryn

by Ryn » 13 Oct 2009 07:30

Alan Partridge
winchester_royal

Totally agree.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 13 Oct 2009 09:10

Ark Royal
Alan Partridge Over 46 games, luck is probably number 100 on the list that that judges where you finish, if you are honest with yourself. Or you could just hide behind the fact that I signed a load of shit players, played some weird systems, the players weren't good enough, but we had an unlucky bounce against Scunthorpe.

POTD and +1. If the club are going to pay peanuts, they will get monkeys. This team - as it stands - is patently not good enough for this division. We are where we are because we are shit, not because of luck of either persuasion.

The team isn't shit, as so many first halves will testify!

It's the performances and tactics which have been "lacking"

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 13 Oct 2009 09:11

For every club that suceeds after a knee jerk sacking of a manager after 10 games or so in charge, there are scores that are no more succesful, and even LESS succesful.

eg: Charlton sacking Dowie, Derby sacking Davies etc etc.

Right now, the only things that will happen if BR goes this season is MORE disruption, MORE expenditure for little return, and MORE angst. What the club needs right now is a period of stability; give BR the time to sort things out, get the blend of the team right, and yes, learn from his mistakes. We will finish mid table this season which will be fine for our club after the departure of our most succesful manager ever, and the departure of so many experienced, quality players in such a short space of time.

Next season will be the time to judge whether BR is right for the club or not FOR THE LONG TERM.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 13 Oct 2009 09:22

This thread shows why The Team board has got progressively worse over the years.

160 posts