When was your turning point?

When did you lose faith in Brendan Rodgers and his bumper book of football tactics?

Poll ended at 16 Nov 2009 20:06
Never had the faith to start with
23%
Losing at home to Sheffield Utd
4%
Losing at Peterborough
27%
Drawing at home to Watford
1%
Losing To Middlesbrough
12%
Losing to WBA
14%
WTF??? He is the best man for the job. Give him time!
19%

Total votes: 141
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: When was your turning point?

by floyd__streete » 17 Oct 2009 22:40

I think that the last straw came a couple of weeks back when after a full pre-season and a dozen games in charge Rodgers admitted that he didn't yet know his best team. His constant tinkering failed miserably again today and in all honesty I think he is the Emperor's New Clothes football manager; all empty rhetoric and spin and it is a bit like having Peter Mandelson in charge. Resign and take your laminated book of soccer tactics with you.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 Oct 2009 22:53

I voted Peterborough but technically it was about six months before he was actually appointed when he first went to Watford and it was suggested to me that he might be a good choice for manager if SSC left. At the time my exact words were, "In a few years when he's more experienced" and my opinion hasn't changed now that he's actually in the job.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 17 Oct 2009 23:45

To quote the bitch herself - the lad(y) is not for turning.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Oct 2009 00:48

Peterborough - stupid formation, wrong players to make it work, no effort to negate our weakness once it became obvious how Peterborough were going to exploit it, no fitness in the second half, no ideas.
Last edited by Ian Royal on 18 Oct 2009 01:09, edited 1 time in total.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 18 Oct 2009 01:00

pboro was hard to swallow watching us play so well 1st half and they fall to the ground in the 2nd was disturbing to say the least.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 18 Oct 2009 01:01

winchester_royal Today.

well if you have lost faith now then maybe things are really bad

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 18 Oct 2009 08:33

None of the above, the dropping of mills was a part of it, then after all the way the youngsters were bigged up Henry, Bignall, Mooney, Davies, and Antonio all go out on loan.

Not impressed with the signings of McDuff, Razzy or Howard either, at the time or since they arrived, i would have expected them to be the leaders on the pitch.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 18 Oct 2009 08:48

SJM took the cheap option with the Rodgers appointment. He had the opportunity to save himself some money if he appointed an out of work manager... oh what it would have been if Aide Boothroyd had been appointed.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 18 Oct 2009 09:10

I'm still weighing up the culpability, still slightly swaying towards us being stitched up by the penny pinching that's been going on rather than the failings of the management.

However their failings are starting to become more and more obvious and another month of games being thrown away due to idiot management decisions (and non-decisions) will probably change that

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 18 Oct 2009 09:49

cmonurz
Royal Lady I can't explain why, but I just had a bad feeling about him from the off, I'm afraid.

This, but tbh it's not Rogers so much as I've lost faith in the club itself. A 2nd Premier League season where we showed only fleeting ambition to stay up, a gazillion chances to secure promotion at the first attempt thrown away by the general malaise of the second half of last season, and then the firesale since that has stripped our squad bare of assets and left us struggling to stay afloat in this league.

It's frustrating and demoralising. I'm not sure a change of manager would achieve much.

^^^

This.

It's bizarre given our insistence that what we were doing was 'brick by brick' - somewhere along the line, it wasn't.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 18 Oct 2009 10:32

I'm not at my turning point yet. For me, it is still too early to get rid of a new manager. Having said that, Rodgers does not impress me, to say the least.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 18 Oct 2009 11:27

It's not the losing that winds me up or gets me down. It is the sheer ineptitude and lack of professionlism in the performances. The total lack of leadership, desire, fight or hunger on the pitch beggars belief. The players have to shoulder a fair amount of the blame as they are the ones on the pitch. The coaching side of things is laughable. There has been no cohesion at all. The players don't appear to have a clue what is expected of them. We have seen the cursed diamond, one up front and a constant chopping and changing of personnel. It is as if someone is drawing the line up and formation out of a lucky dip!

I was taken in by the spin when BR was apointed and this has made me angry - angry at myself for believing the guff. He spoke about playing with a flexible formation and even spouted "Total Football". Well, if this is total football I am a Johnny Depp.

Pardew coined the much maligned phrase of "Tenacity, Spirit, Flair". Oh for some of that right now!

clauski

by clauski » 18 Oct 2009 11:38

So 72 votes in and Rodgers has the confidence of just 15% of respondents. A sorry state of affairs.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 18 Oct 2009 11:51

Terminal Boardom It's not the losing that winds me up or gets me down. It is the sheer ineptitude and lack of professionlism in the performances. The total lack of leadership, desire, fight or hunger on the pitch beggars belief. The players have to shoulder a fair amount of the blame as they are the ones on the pitch. The coaching side of things is laughable. There has been no cohesion at all. The players don't appear to have a clue what is expected of them. We have seen the cursed diamond, one up front and a constant chopping and changing of personnel. It is as if someone is drawing the line up and formation out of a lucky dip!

I was taken in by the spin when BR was apointed and this has made me angry - angry at myself for believing the guff. He spoke about playing with a flexible formation and even spouted "Total Football". Well, if this is total football I am a Johnny Depp.

Pardew coined the much maligned phrase of "Tenacity, Spirit, Flair". Oh for some of that right now!

Spot on. Especially first paragraph. McAnuff. No way near Anuff yesterday. You had to be there to believe his lack of fight, desire, commitment. Truly shocking. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before. It reminds me of an old school chum (!) playing for the school once. It was raining and cold and he really didn't want to be there. The difference is that young Timothy wasn't being being paid. "I've had Anuff's" "performance" says everything about the state we're in. Rodgered has GOT to go NOW.

The Quiet Man

by The Quiet Man » 18 Oct 2009 12:08

My turning point from concern to WTF is going on was after Barnsley. I wasn't impressed by pre season or the transfer fiascos with Harper/Rosenior but having won our first game and going into an international break I thought there was something beginning to gell that could be built on. The resultant poor (some would say panic) transfer signings and the desire to start the season yet again ripping up anything that had been achieved with the Academy signings and any team shape to that point told me we would be very fortunate to be in this division at the end of the season and that the clueless one still did not know his formation or his tactics in a division that relies on consistent hard physical grind.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 18 Oct 2009 12:10

Middlesbrough was the first time I genuinely worried about us staying up this season.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Oct 2009 12:33

The results against M'boro and West Brom don't upset me too much. You look at our comparative positions and there is no way we should really be getting any sort of a result. A draw would have been nice. But it's the performances that are worrying from the sounds of it.

Having won against Preston unconvincingly and missed half a dozen chances to pick up easier points elsewhere against the likes of Watford, Swansea, P'boro, Forest and Doncaster. All games we were quite capable of winning. Well, the 4 I saw we were, if only we'd had better management - ie direction, team selection and tactics. We're left with so much needing to be gained from those tough matches, and with Preston an expectation that maybe afterall we can get something, only to piss it all away again.

The problem is having failed so much early on, we are now relying on picking up points against the strong teams or we start being cut adrift and morale takes bigger and bigger hits as the gulf in class is highlighted and we go longer and longer without a even a small string of decent results.

We're left in the situation where if we don't pick up 9 or 10 points from QPR (9th), Leicester (7th), Coventry (15th), Ipswich (24th), Blackpool (5th) & Derby (17th), we may as well just start playing in League one now.

Can anyone see us getting 3 wins there? Or even 2 and 3 draws? I sure as hell can't.

It's all very well pissing about with team selection and formation every game. Once in a while you're going to hit some magic, even Bullivant managed that. But there's no rhyme or reason to it, so it's not going to stick around.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 18 Oct 2009 12:38

papereyes
cmonurz
Royal Lady I can't explain why, but I just had a bad feeling about him from the off, I'm afraid.

This, but tbh it's not Rogers so much as I've lost faith in the club itself. A 2nd Premier League season where we showed only fleeting ambition to stay up, a gazillion chances to secure promotion at the first attempt thrown away by the general malaise of the second half of last season, and then the firesale since that has stripped our squad bare of assets and left us struggling to stay afloat in this league.

It's frustrating and demoralising. I'm not sure a change of manager would achieve much.

^^^

This.

It's bizarre given our insistence that what we were doing was 'brick by brick' - somewhere along the line, it wasn't.

Fred Dibnah couldn't have done a better job at bringing it all crashing down in such a short space of time. I believe he used to do it by removing some key bricks that were holding it all up.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 18 Oct 2009 16:30

Ian Royal The results against M'boro and West Brom don't upset me too much. You look at our comparative positions and there is no way we should really be getting any sort of a result. A draw would have been nice.

Not long ago, teams like that weren't in our class.

I'm with RL. Always had an uncomfortable feeling about BR.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 18 Oct 2009 16:41

It's really hard to explain. After yesterday my patience has snapped and I want him out. It seemed to be the same story again, giving away silly goals, playing ineffective football and having a poor second half. There seems to have been no sign of improvement for a long time and I don't think he'll turn it around. However on the face of it I feel very harsh to turn on him after a game away at the pre-season promotion favourites. It's been a gradual process, with yesterday a breaking point.