Really back from the game/pub

171 posts
Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Really back from the game/pub

by Hugo Boss » 27 Oct 2009 09:03

Overall I was happy with the performance last night - I thought we played some good football but simply didn't get the rub of the green. Let's be honest, if this was the 106 season, the shot that came back off the inside of the post would have bounced into the goal. We're simply not having any when we play well which is a shame.

Plus sides:
Matejovsky - Quite simply the best footballer at the club. The bloke really is a class above. A few stray balls (law of averages an' all that) but played so many effortlessly brilliant passes / through balls. How we would have loved to have Doyle on the end of a few of them...
Church - Worked very hard and was unlucky to not have something to show for it.
Federici - Two first class saves.
Bertrand - I thought he got forward well and was at least looking to do something decent when he got the ball as opposed to lumping it like Pearce and Mills.
Tabb - Looks uncomfortable at full back but had a solid game.

Down sides:
Mills - Fairly solid but distribution was poor.
Pearce - As above.
Sigurdsson - I reallly like him as a player but thought he didn't really impose himself on the game much.
McAnuff - Absolute w*nk. Was up against Leicester's weakest player and made him look good.
Howard - Completely anonymous. Needs to start throwing his weight around a bit and win some balls as a foil for Matejovsky.
Rasiak - Got his head to a lot of the hoofs from Mills / Pearce but sadly didn't do much with it and should have had a few more shots on target. Awful first touch a number of times as well. Looks so cumbersome its unreal.
Long - Clearly thinks he should be in the Premiership with Doyle and Hunt despite being a lazy, useless c*nt. Looks completely disinterested and we need to get rid ASAP. Can't stand the b*stard.
Kebe - Fizzed a couple of great balls in but still his touch and general ideas are sh*t IMO. Has no urgency whatsoever when he gets the ball while we're on the attack. For someone with his pace, this is unnacceptable.

I'd like to see us start with the same side at Cov personally, despite the fact O'Dea is a far better centre back than Mills / Pearce. Let's at least get some consistency with the team selection. Hopefully some confidence will have got into the players after a good performance, if not a good result.

Ryn

by Ryn » 27 Oct 2009 09:06

I would also like to see the same team start, but with Pearce swapped for Ivar.

The Knitting Circle

by The Knitting Circle » 27 Oct 2009 09:07

basically a big lol @ our some of our fans

lol @ the cat fight in y25 after long came on.

lol @ some of the comments.
"you're no john terry are ya mate?" to pearce :?

also if you are gonna sing songs bitching about the team, at least make your own ones up and not just copy the leicester fans.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Oct 2009 09:16

My thoughts...

It was a much better performance but our impotent strike force is in desperate need of some quality additions. At least they're getting a few chances though, which is better than the last 3 or 4 months of last season, so there is a chink of light at the end of the tunnel.

Although I don't think we deserved to lose that game, the fact that Federrici had to make the better saves has to be a massive worry. I've said before that I think both Mills and Pearce are decent enough Championship centre halfs, the problem is I just don't think they can cut it as a pair as they're far too similar. Ivar is the same too. We need a player in there with pace and hopefully a bit of Ivar's calming influence.

Regarding the corner we conceeded from, I really don't like the way Rodgers singled out Bertrand for not doing his job and being on the wrong post. He was in the same position for the previous couple of corners and not one of the players or coaching staff seemed to pick up on it and correct it, so if Bertrand "should know his job" then perhaps so should Rodgers and Austin, let alone the other 10 players on the pitch who all have a voice.

Although I'm all for playing pretty football (and we did play some very good stuff last night with plenty of movement) I lost count of the number of free kicks in the Leicester half, a couple of them some way into the half, where we took it short and the ball ended up back with Federici. With goals so hard to come by we should be using these dead ball situations to get the ball into the box and create a chance. What percentage of our goals have come from set plays this season? Why do we then waste them by passing the ball back to our own keeper!!!

...and the substitutions!!! What on earth was he trying to achieve in taking off our most creative midfieder (more so than Mateojvsky in my eyes) and the forward who's movement was causing problems whilst leaving on Raziak and McEnuff. Mind boggling.

I'd still stick with Rodgers, but he really does need to settle things down and as for his "no chance we're getting relegated" comments post match, please pleass please cut out the Jose impressions and just stick to getting things right on the pitch!

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 27 Oct 2009 09:18

At this stage the performance side of things goes out the window,right now i couldnt care less whether we show signs of improvement or not if we still cant pick up points. To clamour to BR's justification of our displays is cringeworthy at best.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 27 Oct 2009 09:25

A few random thoughts.

For the first time this season there appeared to be some partnerships/understandings developing. People talking about a lack of mobility with Rasiak are missing the point somewhat. Marek had his best/most effective game for us last bight because finally he found a striker who makes lateral moves from outside to in which complement his ability to thread the ball between centre halves and full backs. That man was Rasiak. It may not be aesthetically pleasing or possess great pace but he does know what runs to make. That is not a lack of mobility. He must be perservered with.

Likewise Church. This could be a fruitful partnership simply because they cause problems in different ways. Church will also play on the last shoulder but the majority of his chances last night came from terrific movement within the 12 yard area in order to create space when the ball is crossed. Ok his radar was slightly off (only slightly mind) but once again this must be perservered with and given time to develop.

Up until today, its not really been poor finishing which has contributed to our lack of goals but a lack of creativity. Today was the first time we actually looked like we could carve open a very solid defensive team. (also anyone calling Leicester dogshit should have a look at their defensive record particularly in recent weeks). If it wasn't Marek linking up with Rasiak then it was McAnuff linking up with Church. Once again this has to be perservered with, yes McAnuff drifts in and out of games but so does pretty much every winger in the game. He was responsible for at least 4 opportunites tonight yet all people can do is moan about not seeing him for periods.

Having said all of the above picking 4 creative midfielders meant we damn well should have been creative and it A0 left us a bit exposed at times and also meant that the 2 ful-backs were presumably under orders to not stray too far forward. As much as I believe Rodgers needs continuity and consistency in his selection I do think away from home particularly Howard and Marek in a 2 man central midfield is asking for trouble. Howard is neat and tidy but in all honestly simply doesn't deliver so the only change I'd really advocate is for Karacan to come in for Howard and O'Dea for Pearce to add just a little pace to the back line.

Last night was a positive performance but in the overall scheme of things it will be interetsing to see how we respond. To play so well and still lose could be seen as an ominous sign which could well deflate some of the squad but on the other hand it could also give them the confidence that they can cause problems at this level if given the time to develop understanding by the manager's selections.

Over to you Brendan!

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 27 Oct 2009 09:40

Agree with most of that. Only point I'd add is that the substitutions were poor and didn't add anything (esp. Long for Church).

I thought Howard had a good game last night but we need Karajan as well. Can't we play with 12? Oh go on, Football League. Please.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 27 Oct 2009 09:44

PEARCEY
The whole year inn Is there anyway the fans can get an answer regarding the obvious fitness issues?

At the next fans forum perhaps?

Why do we wane so much after 65-70 minutes?

Asthmatic ants with heavy shopping

There is a fitness issue. Although by now you would have thought the players would be match-fit given its fourteen games into the sesaon.
Or are we wrong and mistaking lack of fitness for a lack of confidence?

QPR's players looked pretty fit.

Wonder who their fitness coach is??

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 27 Oct 2009 09:51

Man Friday Agree with most of that. Only point I'd add is that the substitutions were poor and didn't add anything (esp. Long for Church).

I thought Howard had a good game last night but we need Karajan as well. Can't we play with 12? Oh go on, Football League. Please.

Thats the problem with substitutions though, so many permutations.

To be fair Kebe produced 2 really good moments which on another day would have lead to goals. Long has always been hit and miss (ha ha)

In hindsight he might have looked at central midfield as the last 10 minutes Marek and Howard were pretty much out on their feet and we didn't really pressure their goal at the death.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 27 Oct 2009 09:55

Not reading all the thread, but generally a much improved performance in an attacking sense, the vast majority of chances created or heavily involving Marek Matejovsky. Why doesn't Rodgers fit a formation around this man?! I am not one of the people who likes to lick Matejovsky's arse, he does give the ball away cheaply at times, but the man has to start. He is by far and away our best creative midfielder and with him in the side you will always have a chance of creating a great goalscoring opportunity.

Keeper - shot-stopping very good once again, kept us in the game. Always saves his fair share of one-on-ones. No chance with the goal.

Defence - have always looked vulnerable this season and yesterday was no different. A poor Leicester team didn't have to do much to open us up.

Midfield - reasonably happy. Creativity excellent, particularly Marek. Sig possibly unlucky to comeoff but I could see why. Howard kept on as he was the only real tackler in there, to take him off would have meant no ball-winner on the pitch. Other substitution combinations would have sorted that though.

Attack - Church couldn't finish his dinner. Rasiak just dire. Can anyone explain why Church came off ahead of Rasiak though? At least he consistently got into goalscoring positions and didn't go hiding!!

To be honest, in general we played well, but we lost. Teams who lose these types of games go down. You have to win your games when you play well, or at the absolute minimum take a point from it. Three times we've played well this season and lost - Peterborough (1st half anyway), Cardiff, Leicester. If we keep losing these games we will go down.

Deathy - you don't put small men on the posts? Deary me, you put big men on the posts then do you and let the smaller men do the heading at set pieces?! Absolutely not. You put your weaker headers of the ball on the posts, which generally means your smallest men. Either that or your full backs. Jay Tabb falls into both categories. I'm glad you're not our defensive set piece coach!!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 27 Oct 2009 09:59

Ryn
Harpers So Solid Crew reading this thread it appears to me that Marek is having similar problems to Harper last season, rarely anywhere to play passes other than sideways or backwards, would this be right? If so it would seem that the players need to work on making themselves available more.

That is my opinion, though not perhaps matched by others.

It's just plain wrong.

Marek played numerous defence splitting (forward) passes last night.

As Vision's excellent post above points out, this was often due to the excellent movement of Rasiak and Church. If the movement ahead of him is good and intelligent, Matejovsky will make the pass that no-one else in the squad is capable of seeing let alone executing.

I asked the question last night, what is better striking, a shot at the centre of goal that the 'keeper can comfortably save or a shot aimed for the corner that goes fractionally wide? Church missed 3 (?) good chances but by little more than 6" each time. His movement helped get him those chances and he should now be a permanent fixture in my book.

Church's movement and Marek's vision gives us a partnership that could be the cornerstone to our impending recovery.

Ryn

by Ryn » 27 Oct 2009 10:01

handbags_harris To be honest, in general we played well, but we lost. Teams who lose these types of games go down. You have to win your games when you play well, or at the absolute minimum take a point from it. Three times we've played well this season and lost - Peterborough (1st half anyway), Cardiff, Leicester. If we keep losing these games we will go down.

So true it hurts.

handbags_harris Deathy - you don't put small men on the posts? Deary me, you put big men on the posts then do you and let the smaller men do the heading at set pieces?! Absolutely not. You put your weaker headers of the ball on the posts, which generally means your smallest men. Either that or your full backs. Jay Tabb falls into both categories. I'm glad you're not our defensive set piece coach!!

Either way, there was a post and player that needed marking by a man who is 5 foot 6 tall at best. Not good enough.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 27 Oct 2009 10:02

Positives to take from the game, just think, if Church or McAnuff had scored in the opening half an hour, we could have scored a heap more as the confidence went on the up.
Same starting XI on Saturday please.

Royal Rother Church's movement and Marek's vision gives us a partnership that could be the cornerstone to our impending recovery.

+1

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 27 Oct 2009 10:19

It was promising to see so many chances created: first time this season. If we keep doing this, a few will go in, even with our dodgy strikers. I won't get on Rodgers's back on the basis of performances like this. Mind you, lets not get carried away: Leicester missed some goals too.

Even so, why the hell was O'Dea not put in for Ingimarsson? :o Sure, he wasn't comfortable at left back, but he's been the best of the bunch at centre back.

Rodgers has caused his own problem at right back by signing Cummings, whom he's now lost faith in. Tabb was much better, but sooner or later a short left-footer will be a problem at right back, as it was for the goal.

It was great to see such an attacking setup, but obviously we can't play that way at Coventry. We'll need someone like Cisse or Gunnarsson in front of the defence or we'll be exposed.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Oct 2009 10:25

Vision A few random thoughts.

For the first time this season there appeared to be some partnerships/understandings developing. People talking about a lack of mobility with Rasiak are missing the point somewhat. Marek had his best/most effective game for us last bight because finally he found a striker who makes lateral moves from outside to in which complement his ability to thread the ball between centre halves and full backs. That man was Rasiak. It may not be aesthetically pleasing or possess great pace but he does know what runs to make. That is not a lack of mobility. He must be perservered with.

As usual I agree with pretty much everything you've said Vision. I even agree that Rasiaks movement was good at times and helped create some of the space and chances, he still isn't mobile enough for my liking though. By mobile I don't mean the clever little drifting movements he makes off or behind a defender, but the times when his feet are stuck the ground and he can't move quick enough over the first few yards to challenge for, never mind win, a ball, or when he is too cumbersome to get the ball out of his feet to make the most of a chance.

Even the one he scuffed wide he took an age to turn and get his shot in, and the one in the first half where he probably should've shot first time but instead had to turn back into bodies because he just couldn't move quick enough...wasted chances. Even RFC can afford a centre forward who can combine a bit more athletic ability with some of Rasiaks better movement.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 27 Oct 2009 10:29

facaldaqui It was promising to see so many chances created: first time this season. If we keep doing this, a few will go in, even with our dodgy strikers. I won't get on Rodgers's back on the basis of performances like this. Mind you, lets not get carried away: Leicester missed some goals too.

Even so, why the hell was O'Dea not put in for Ingimarsson? :o Sure, he wasn't comfortable at left back, but he's been the best of the bunch at centre back.

Rodgers has caused his own problem at right back by signing Cummings, whom he's now lost faith in. Tabb was much better, but sooner or later a short left-footer will be a problem at right back, as it was for the goal.

It was great to see such an attacking setup, but obviously we can't play that way at Coventry. We'll need someone like Cisse or Gunnarsson in front of the defence or we'll be exposed.

its either- wanting to have the vice captain on when ivar isnt there
or odea is going back to celtic at xmas-so its pointess to keep playing him

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 27 Oct 2009 10:47

Best football I've seen this season from Reading, in the first half. Not so much, in the second. The lack of a proven striker up front shows. To be fair, Simon Church played well last night. He was making runs and looked threatening. Raisak on the other hand, didn't do much and should of been taken off. Matejovsky was by far the Man of the Match, made some great passes and found space. However basic defending on the corner let us down and even after they scored, they could have had another one, but for a good save by Federici.

There were positives from this game, however it still didn't score us goals or win us the game. For me, Rodgers still has to go.

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 27 Oct 2009 10:57

Royal Rother
marysiaska I can't believe we didn't win that match...I thought the team played really well...have to say was dubious about the 6 changes but they played well...how we didn't score is beyond me!!!! so many chances!!!!! Just wasn't to be!!! Leicester were lucky...poor concentration on our part.....players must fell dejeced after not getting a point! 66% possession.!!! Even Coleman and Beagrie said Reading deserved to win!!! Rodgers needs to keep the team tonight against Coventry!!! I know we lost....gutted...but do feel positive......Come on URZ!!!!!!!

Well said, it was an uplifting performance that should inspire confidence in all but the most jaded "I want it and I want it now" muppets.

We lost but I think this game might be the turning point. Patience is a virtue and will be rewarded.

LOL.

Are you able to differentiate between what you normally watch on a saturday and Reading?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 27 Oct 2009 11:03

I can get angry at players for not trying, I can't be angry at players for being good enough.

And frankly, in front of goal. They just were not good enough.

Maybe it's something that can be fixed in January, or maybe just stick Church on shooting practise for a couple of days as his radar needs tweaking a mite as his build up play is fantastic.

As a whole we played reasonably well up to the final third. We created a butt load of chances and no one could put them away which makes me sad.

The goal was poor, but we should have scored 4 ourselves. I think the two strongest teams I've seen Reading put out were last night and Cardiff. Marek is the key factor there. They all need to play again on the weekend if that team gets some consistency I can see them scoring goals, if they do not I will be disappointed in Rodgers. Last night I was disappointed in the players. The tactics were spot on.

General B
Hob Nob Regular

by General B » 27 Oct 2009 11:07

Vision A few random thoughts.

Likewise Church. This could be a fruitful partnership simply because they cause problems in different ways. Church will also play on the last shoulder but the majority of his chances last night came from terrific movement within the 12 yard area in order to create space when the ball is crossed. Ok his radar was slightly off (only slightly mind) but once again this must be perservered with and given time to develop.

Up until today, its not really been poor finishing which has contributed to our lack of goals but a lack of creativity. Today was the first time we actually looked like we could carve open a very solid defensive team. (also anyone calling Leicester dogshit should have a look at their defensive record particularly in recent weeks). If it wasn't Marek linking up with Rasiak then it was McAnuff linking up with Church. Once again this has to be perservered with, yes McAnuff drifts in and out of games but so does pretty much every winger in the game. He was responsible for at least 4 opportunites tonight yet all people can do is moan about not seeing him for periods.

Having said all of the above picking 4 creative midfielders meant we damn well should have been creative and it A0 left us a bit exposed at times and also meant that the 2 ful-backs were presumably under orders to not stray too far forward. As much as I believe Rodgers needs continuity and consistency in his selection I do think away from home particularly Howard and Marek in a 2 man central midfield is asking for trouble. Howard is neat and tidy but in all honestly simply doesn't deliver so the only change I'd really advocate is for Karacan to come in for Howard and O'Dea for Pearce to add just a little pace to the back line.

Last night was a positive performance but in the overall scheme of things it will be interetsing to see how we respond. To play so well and still lose could be seen as an ominous sign which could well deflate some of the squad but on the other hand it could also give them the confidence that they can cause problems at this level if given the time to develop understanding by the manager's selections.

Over to you Brendan!

Vision poster = the only contributor worth reading on this board since 2001.

Nice line in hats as well.

171 posts