FAO Doom n' Gloomers: Rodgers terrible signings

127 posts
Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

Re: FAO RL: Rodgers terrible signings

by Royalee » 02 Nov 2009 22:07

Archie's penalty
Royalee It took Coppell 2 years to get things right, and we'd retained all of the squad which got us to 4th when he took over.

Karacan and Pearce should have played far more this year - most people should be able to see that, particularly in Karacan's case. The fact that Pearce who has statistically been our best defender this season was dropped at the experience of 'captain' Duberry who is now fighting relegation to League 2 with Wycombe says it all, as does Sheffield United's form since Mr Harper joined them.

Shorey will still leave Villa for a Premiership club and will be on decent wages at the moment - I wouldn't say his career is exactly over.

Agree about Bertrand, another superb signing by Rodgers - perhaps we could try and sign him permanently at the end of the season if he can't get a look in at Chelsea.

Point 1) I agree with basically.
Point 2) I think he actually gave them both a pretty good chance last season (and I still don't rate Pearce). Harps needed a new start somewhere else.
Point 3) Shorey will leave probably but I doubt he will ever get back to his form of a couple of years ago. His head has gone down.
Point 4) Whilst I would love to get Bertrand permanently, it's.not.gonna.happen.

What Pearce lacks in pace, he makes up for in reading of the game, organisation, aerial ability and use of the ball. As for Harper, Coppell ruined him - he used to push forward and technically he's a good footballer, but the guy can't defend to save his life and needs leadership, something Blackwell's also failing at.

Shorey's not had a decent run of games and while he might not be as outstanding as he was with us, he's still a very decent full back.

Who's to say Bertrand wouldn't sign if we improve? He likes it here, Rodgers has been his mentor and he hasn't had the exposure at the top level for Premiership clubs to come in for him.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 02 Nov 2009 22:57

1871 Royal
winchester_royal Rasiak - Proven goalscorer at this level and decent target man.
McAnuff - Proven winger at this level who Rodgers clearly gets the best out of. Premiership class at best.
Howard - Once considered by some to be one of best midfielders outside the Prem. Lovely left foot, passionate, decent on the ball.
Bertrand - Chelsea hope to have him as the successor to Ashley Cole.

+1

+1

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 02 Nov 2009 23:00

Royalee What Pearce lacks in pace, he makes up for in reading of the game, organisation, aerial ability and use of the ball.

Not quite so sure about the last one there, I thought he looked about as comfortable with the ball at his feet vs Leicester as Nick Griffin at a Bar Mitzvah. I want to rate Pearce, what with him being an academy graduate, but the more I see of him the less confidence I have in him. The hare-brained idea to make him vice-captain has hardly helped him either.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 02 Nov 2009 23:07

I think in the long term, Cummings will come good. Rodgers' isn't stupid, he wouldn't buy a player from Chelsea knowing he was awful.
Bertrand has been his best signing, fantastic and probably the first name on the team sheet.
Howard is average, but better than Harper nonetheless.
McAnuff is clearly a decent player when motivated by Rodgers.
Rasiak is a solid player at this level and will help us, albeit only at this level.
There are downsides to each player, but let's not dwell on them.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Nov 2009 23:24

floyd__streete
Royalee What Pearce lacks in pace, he makes up for in reading of the game, organisation, aerial ability and use of the ball.

Not quite so sure about the last one there, I thought he looked about as comfortable with the ball at his feet vs Leicester as Nick Griffin at a Bar Mitzvah. I want to rate Pearce, what with him being an academy graduate, but the more I see of him the less confidence I have in him. The hare-brained idea to make him vice-captain has hardly helped him either.

Granted he's not Franco Baresi, but he hardly ever gives the ball away and looks calm in possession rather than punting it to the opposition midfield like Duberry last year. As long as my centre backs find another blue and white shirt and know when to play the ball and when not to, I'm happy.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Nov 2009 23:26

TBH I don't think you can write off any of his signings yet.

Rasiak will, IMO prove to be a bit of an Owusu. He's a decent stop gap for now and he'll score a few goals and offer something different. But won't play a big part in getting us anywhere significant over the next 3 years.
Howard and O'Dea are both good players, but I'm not really sure they bring a great deal to the squad that isn't already there.
McAnuff is a good signing, Mills would be with the right partner, think it might end up as him or Pearce, + a pacier partner (not Ivar long term). Cummings I think has potential despite some bad games and is one for the future, just not ready to come into a disrupted team lacking confidence and direction. Bertrand is good, but no way is he the next Cashley. He might make it in the Prem after a few more years at this level. But not with Chelsea.

Personally I think we've been at our best when Pearce has been captain.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Nov 2009 23:29

Rasiak's in a different class to Owusu, even at his age...I agree he's not the answer long term, but Owusu was awful.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Nov 2009 23:32

Royalee Rasiak's in a different class to Owusu, even at his age...I agree he's not the answer long term, but Owusu was awful.

I couldn't stand anything but his chant, but he did fill a gap and score some goals. Exactly what he was brought in for. He was never going to take us a step further, but he kept us treading water whilst Coppell built the team that could. I see Rasiak in very much the same role.

Rasiak is certainly more skillfull, but is also far less athletic.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 02 Nov 2009 23:35

Ian Royal
Royalee Rasiak's in a different class to Owusu, even at his age...I agree he's not the answer long term, but Owusu was awful.

I couldn't stand anything but his chant, but he did fill a gap and score some goals. Exactly what he was brought in for. He was never going to take us a step further, but he kept us treading water whilst Coppell built the team that could. I see Rasiak in very much the same role.

Rasiak is certainly more skillfull, but is also far less athletic.

Rasiak is a lot better than Owusu. 37 caps for Poland and 8 goals ain't bad. He also was at Spurs for a while.

Still no world-beater.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 03 Nov 2009 13:16

top RL baiting SKBers

+1
'greed
i totally concur

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 Nov 2009 13:22

wtf does this have to do with me? :|

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 03 Nov 2009 13:24

Royal Lady wtf does this have to do with me? :|

been slating rodgers, his players and his mum all season

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 Nov 2009 13:27

One recent win and all the goons turn up. :roll:

I haven't given him any stick all week have I? And I'm not exactly the only person who has been unhappy about things at RFC, so why single me out? Or is it because I'm a laydee and won't be giving SKB a slap when I next see him? :roll:

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 03 Nov 2009 13:28

brendywendy

And as we have won 1 game in a row all Rodgers doubters shall be hung, drawn and quartered (in a sensitive and eco-friendly manner)

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 03 Nov 2009 13:31

wolsey
brendywendy

And as we have won 1 game in a row all Rodgers doubters shall be hung, drawn and quartered (in a sensitive and eco-friendly manner)

And no doubt next time we lose there'll be 'Rodgers Out' across the board.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 Nov 2009 13:33

Aren't people allowed to have opinions now? :|

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 03 Nov 2009 13:34

Royal Lady One recent win and all the goons turn up. :roll:

I haven't given him any stick all week have I? And I'm not exactly the only person who has been unhappy about things at RFC, so why single me out? Or is it because I'm a laydee and won't be giving SKB a slap when I next see him? :roll:

im no goon damnit!

stop singling me out.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 03 Nov 2009 13:41

I don't think he's made any bad signings as yet...

Bertrand - looks a quality youngster
O'Dea - another quality young'un
Cummings - not up to it yet but has signs of something promising but needs experience at a lower level
Howard, Muffin and Rasiak are all proven at this level
Mills - looks OK, even been our leading goalscorer for a while!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 03 Nov 2009 13:54

Royal Lady One recent win and all the goons turn up. :roll:

just oxf*rd leave her alone skb

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 03 Nov 2009 14:02

Rodgers signings may just have it in them to keep us from being relegated out of the Championship into Division 1.

If that's your benchmark of success, fill your boots.

127 posts