Back from the game: It was better...

194 posts
Rex
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back from the game: It was better...

by Rex » 07 Nov 2009 23:13

It's mooted at around the 100 million mark isn't it!. That needs reassessing for sure.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Nov 2009 23:24

royalexile It's mooted at around the 100 million mark isn't it!. That needs reassessing for sure.

It was suggested around the £100m mark when we were in the Premier League a couple of years ago. It will be nothing like that now. Might still be in excess of £50m, but no way is it greater than £80m.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 07 Nov 2009 23:28

floyd__streete Marek certainly isn't the messiah, but he certainly deserves his place in the team as he must surely be one of our eleven least sh*t players. Today he was wasteful in possession, one paced and petulant. He is even less adept in the art of tackling than Darren Caskey.

Spot on floyd, was very lucky not to get sent off in the last few minutes

Some of his passing today was shocking, but he has to play

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Nov 2009 23:33

Howard's growing on me.

Not sure why Cissse came on instead of Karacan, saying that he didn't seem to bad from the telly, but Karacan is far better in every way, but height.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Nov 2009 23:34

Southbank Old Boy
floyd__streete Marek certainly isn't the messiah, but he certainly deserves his place in the team as he must surely be one of our eleven least sh*t players. Today he was wasteful in possession, one paced and petulant. He is even less adept in the art of tackling than Darren Caskey.

Spot on floyd, was very lucky not to get sent off in the last few minutes

Some of his passing today was shocking, but he has to play
......and to think, he was signed as a Premiership/International player

The guy is an enigma

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Nov 2009 23:37

Ian Royal Howard's growing on me.

Not sure why Cissse came on instead of Karacan, saying that he didn't seem to bad from the telly, but Karacan is far better in every way, but height.
Howard (imho) had a good game today Ian.

Got well deserved applause when subbed

One c0ck-up that lost pocession, other than that....quite pleasing

(no doubt, this being Hobnob, some will slate him whilst praising his sidekick :roll: )

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Nov 2009 23:40

AthleticoSpizz
Ian Royal Howard's growing on me.

Howard (imho) had a good game today Ian.

Got well deserved applause when subbed

One c0ck-up that lost pocession, other than that....quite pleasing

(no doubt, this being Hobnob, some will slate him whilst praising his sidekick :roll: )

Think he's been at his best when not required to be the attacking creative one. He's definitely not a defensive midfielder but he's playing the supporting role to Marek pretty well. I still prefer Sig (another assist today according to beeb) though.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 08 Nov 2009 00:00

Howard's passion for the team is first class. A good compliment for Marek IMO, who if he continues to play like he did today, then Rodgers has little choice but to drop him.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 08 Nov 2009 00:52

Claridge was spot on regarding our problems this year - lack of clinical finishing.

Thought it was a definite penalty and Church did very well on the shot which hit the bar - great save by the keeper.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 08 Nov 2009 05:24

Watched it from the luxury of my sofa courtesy of Al Jazeera Sport.

Thought Bertrand, Tabb and McAnuff were pretty strong today but our crossing is woeful - not in the Gypos class - and then we have no-one in the middle to get on the end of them.

Poor game from Marek but he had no movement in front of him to pick the pass and ended up getting harried off the ball much of the time.

Feel sorry for Church - he tries hard but ....he didn't know anything about his goal, either. It just hit him. Get Henry and Bignall back as soon as seeing as Brenda, Squeaky and the Mad Man have deep pockets and short arms.

Pearce? No comment. Terminal nailed it above.

The Pole - metaphorically and physically - not sure. Slow, ponderous - showed some good feet today :shock: but he's not a goalscorer or a link player.

I like Sig (and Karacan and Davies) but he's not a left midfield player.

Oh - and is it me, or do we appear to be playing in slow-motion? There's no real zip and snap to anything. I think all this "training with the ball" malarky means that we're nowhere near fit enough. Would be interesting to know how this team's fitness compares to, say, the last two years.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 08 Nov 2009 06:12

midfield diamond
Terminal Boardom What doesn't help is that it looks as if Rasiak and Church have never been introduced to each other. There is no combination or partnership visible between the two. No cohesion whatsoever. They look like total strangers which begs the question wtf do they do in training?

Surely Rodgers must realise that the strikers we have are just not good enough. Rasiak is mediocre, Church is too inexperienced and Long is way below his previous standard as an impact substitute.
The Madman must be pressed to release some funds for a loan striker otherwise the dire home form will continue

Tbf the Rasiak-Church partnership has yielded 3 goals between the 2 of them in the last 2 games. Equally when you crash the ball off the underside of the bar that's more than a tad unlucky. I think they're doing okay now that the team is more settled. Church always seems to miss by the narrowest of margins. Maybe he just needs his luck to change a bit.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 08 Nov 2009 08:00

floyd__streete only the blind and stupid could say they are enjoying the football under Rodgers;

Noted!

Mad Dog's Ghost

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 08 Nov 2009 08:58

Dear me. How far we've fallen when we're all wetting ourselves over a one all at home to a team that is almost as comical as us.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 08 Nov 2009 09:04

We battled well but lacked quality against a very poor Ipswich team.

Matejosky was awful in midfield with McAnuff wasting a lot of qualty ball received wide when he could not get the ball past the first defender.

How the referee and his assistant who was nearer could not give a penalty when Long was hacked down was unbelievable. Terrible decision and possibly the break we need.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 08 Nov 2009 09:09

thought second half we showed good character. If we'd gone in one down a couple of weeks a go we would have lost that game, but instead we should and could have won it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but is it also the first time we've gone behind this year and got something out of the game? If so it shows the confidence is coming back and I'm sure this home hoodoo will go soon. We have 5 or 6 games at home before it a year since we last won at home. Yesterday was 287 days.

Rodgers has got us playing so good football at times. Marek wasn't at his best yesterday, but since he has come into the team our football as been much much better. Even if he isn't playing well I think he breeds good confidence into the other players. Howard compliments him well, and I think Howard is better when he comes deeper looking for the ball, and his very rarely wasteful.

Cisse came on i'm guessing as we were getting balls into the box from wide positions and he is a good attacker of the ball when a cross comes in.

Two things frustrated me. Why on earth were there two men back from corners when all the Ipswich players were back defending? Thought Bertrand was good defensively, but how hard is it to the ball out of your feet with one touch then get in a cross. He dallied doing that a lot today.

MOTM today-McAnuff- Thought he should have stayed on the right when Kebe came on, but his tracking back was first class and looked dangerous every time he got the ball.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 08 Nov 2009 09:13

Not much to add really, a better performance to QPR/WBA et all but still lacking that killer touch up front. Rasiak and Churchy are developing a partnership though and both showed promise today.

I'm just gutted we now have to wait 2 weeks for our next game.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 08 Nov 2009 09:41

And a goal in the North stand.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 08 Nov 2009 09:55

Frustrating game. So many chances to win the game. The Ipswich goal, was terrible defending by our part. However, in the second half, we dominated for several periods of the game. But the same old story, with not putting our chances away. I thought that Howard had a good game today, whilst Marek wasn't playing at his best.

My man of the match goes to Jobi McAnuff, who put in lots of good crosses and looked a danger to the Ipswich defence.

Billy The Fish

by Billy The Fish » 08 Nov 2009 10:06

royalexile And a goal in the North stand.

Was Mills goal against Sheff U in the South? That's the only game I've missed of "the run". If so who was the last to score for us in front of the North stand? Was it Matejovsky v Brum?

Do you remember the Championship winning season, there was a sequence of I don't know how many games without us conceding in the North (I think Henry broke it for Arsenal), did we get near to beating our own record?

glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by glenroyal » 08 Nov 2009 10:09

Agree with lots there.

Coming back from behind is an encouraging novelty.

McAnuff and Matejovski involved in everything. The latter may often be wasteful of possession - but if you don't try you don't make mistakes. You wouldn't want a side full of Mareks, but no-one else in the squad to touch him for creative skill and entertainment.

Church just in benefit of the doubt territiry.

Karacan would have been my choice ahead of Cisse (but I see the argument).

194 posts