Back from the game: It was better...

194 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Back from the game: It was better...

by Ian Royal » 08 Nov 2009 13:48

Terminal Boardom I do accept that the performances have got better with the return to 442 and the introduction of a settled team. However, compared with a backdrop of dire and utter shite that we produced against WBA, QPR and Middlesbro', improvement was hardly difficult.

A level of perspective needs to be maintained.

Yes, that's what people are telling you.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 08 Nov 2009 13:51

My take on it is that neither Reading or Ipswich will be relegated - both are clearly improving teams. Our only major issue is the lack of competition in the striking department now that Hunt is out all season. It was always going to be a tight game and I predicted 1-1 so was not surprised.

Fed 6 - not much to do really - a few fairly routine saves and could do nothing about the goal
Bertrand - 7 - positive performance
Pearce - 6 - did nothing wrong from what I saw and does not deserve the abuse he is getting on here
Ingi - 6 - partly at fault for goal but generally sound
Tabb - 8 - excellent at the heart of much of what we did - my MOTM
Sig - 6 - some good moments
Marek - 4 - very good against Leicester but today was one of his worst performances in a Reading shirt and not really sure why he stayed on instead of Howard
Howard - 6 - better from him today I thought, but I would still prefer Karacn to either him or Marek
McAnuff - 7 - another positive performance although not as dangerous as last week
Church - 8 - great movement - definitely improving all the time and got a goal
Rasiak - 5 - did not seem likely to score today and was not contributing much

Long - 5 - unlucky not to get a penalty and had two shots on target
Cisee - 5 - looked ok
Kebe - 6 - we looked more threatening when he came on

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 08 Nov 2009 13:54

Ian Royal
Terminal Boardom I do accept that the performances have got better with the return to 442 and the introduction of a settled team. However, compared with a backdrop of dire and utter shite that we produced against WBA, QPR and Middlesbro', improvement was hardly difficult.

Which is precisely why I am not getting carried away with the last 3 games.

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 08 Nov 2009 13:56

Had a quick look through the Premier League squads and I have to say I can't see many decent options out there:

Nathan Delfouneso - young and inexperienced also not sure whether Villa would let us have him
Cameron Jerome - behind Phillips, O'Connor, McFadden and Benitez in the pecking order, decent Championship striker with a petty unimpressive scoring record for Birmingham
Fabio Borini - don't know anything about the lad but he's been linked with us and sounds promising
Daniel Sturridge - Chelsea's fourth choice striker so probably unavailable
Eddie Johnson - someone on here's mentioned him but his record at Cardiff last year was pants
Dave Kitson - currently battling with Sidibe to be Stoke's fourth choice striker
Daryl Murphy / Roy O'Donovan - Sunderland's fifth and sixth choice strikers
Frank Nouble - don't know anything about him apart from him being West Ham's sixth choice striker and that he left Chelsea this summer
Andy Keogh - hasn't played for Wolves since 3rd October

I've excluded players who I don't think would ever come to Reading (e.g. David Healy always on Sunderland's bench, Welbeck/Mancheda likely to be kept by United for their League Cup squad, Benjani wages too big). I'm sure there are a few youngsters out there who we don't know about but if we're looking for established players then there really aren't many options out there.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Nov 2009 14:11

Terminal Boardom
Ian Royal

Which is precisely why I am not getting carried away with the last 3 games.

Nor is anyone else.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 08 Nov 2009 14:13

Exactly IR. I only think we'll be top by March, nobody is getting carried away and suggesting we'll be there by Christmas.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Nov 2009 14:26

rhroyal Exactly IR. I only think we'll be top by March, nobody is getting carried away and suggesting we'll be there by Christmas.

Of the league!? Or this mini bottom half league thing that was mentioned?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 08 Nov 2009 14:38

winchester_royal LOL @ Noel's twitter entry.

'we are getting closer cant believe what some ppl text in radioberks they need to have a look at themselves muppets!!come on boys!!!!'

http://twitter.com/boyhunt

Totally agree with him.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 08 Nov 2009 14:40

i dont give a shite what the doom merchants( you know who you are boredom..opps I mean boardom) on here say, things are improving and with just a little bit of luck we would have had 6 points from our last 2 home games and stting comfortably in mid table, yesterday there were numerous scrambles inside the ipswich box add to that two efforts against the crossbar, a few shots that just missed the target and a stonewall penalty turned down, our long awaited home win is coming very soon trust me.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 08 Nov 2009 14:40

Yesterday was pretty poor, the goal we conceded was pathetic tbh. Also, our goal was very scrappy, but a goal is a goal at the end of the day.

Thought Marek had a poor game yesterday. On the other hand, I've continued to be impressed with Sig, although I'd like to see him in his proper position, just behind the striker and not wasted out wide.

The game was there for us to win yesterday, we need to be much more clinical.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 08 Nov 2009 14:41

rg6royal Yesterday was pretty poor, the goal we conceded was pathetic tbh. Also, our goal was very scrappy, but a goal is a goal at the end of the day.

Thought Marek had a poor game yesterday. On the other hand, I've continued to be impressed with Sig, although I'd like to see him in his proper position, just behind the striker and not wasted out wide.

The game was there for us to win yesterday, we need to be much more clinical.

I'd agree with most of that. Certainly thought that Kebe should have been brought on for Marek so we could move Sig into the centre.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 08 Nov 2009 14:45

I don't mind their attackers being given the freedom of Whitley, as you :D put it, Terminal. No one ever scored up there. Not at this level, anyway.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 08 Nov 2009 15:17

Royalee
winchester_royal LOL @ Noel's twitter entry.

'we are getting closer cant believe what some ppl text in radioberks they need to have a look at themselves muppets!!come on boys!!!!'

http://twitter.com/boyhunt

Totally agree with him.

He's right of course. Yesterday's performance wasn't particularly brilliant, but the players put everything they had onto the pitch and that's all you can ask for on days where it aint quite clicking.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 08 Nov 2009 15:18

Chaney i dont give a shite what the doom merchants( you know who you are boredom..opps I mean boardom) on here say, things are improving and with just a little bit of luck we would have had 6 points from our last 2 home games and stting comfortably in mid table, yesterday there were numerous scrambles inside the ipswich box add to that two efforts against the crossbar, a few shots that just missed the target and a stonewall penalty turned down, our long awaited home win is coming very soon trust me.

IIRC correctly, Leicester had a couple of one on ones which were far better chances than we created. As for yesterday, our goal basically hit Church and went in otherwise it would have been a horrific miss by Gilfi so I don't buy this 'we are getting no luck' rubbish.

We are where we deserve to be and I believe we will be here or hereabouts at the end of the season as I don't believe we have the forwards to score enough goals not to be.

Ipswich may have only lost 1 in 7 but I thought there were dire and there for the taking, regrettably, we completely lost momentum with Long coming on. Normally, a draw at home to the bottom side would produce howls of outrage, it's a testimony to how poor we are that this one generally hasn't.

Finally, as per Leicester, well done the fans - there are teams who would be having pitch invasions and walkouts by now let alone booing but our crowd still gets behind the team at the ground.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 08 Nov 2009 15:24

Chaney i dont give a shite what the doom merchants( you know who you are boredom..opps I mean boardom) on here say, things are improving and with just a little bit of luck we would have had 6 points from our last 2 home games and stting comfortably in mid table, yesterday there were numerous scrambles inside the ipswich box add to that two efforts against the crossbar, a few shots that just missed the target and a stonewall penalty turned down, our long awaited home win is coming very soon trust me.

You talk about luck and that we could have more points than we have now but conveniently forget about the luck that we have had already this season. Fed pulled off a blinder of a save to keep the score 0-0 against Forest. Fed saves a pen at Swansea. Fed has a blinder at Preston as they throw everything at us. Sigs shot yesterday hits Church and goes in. So you see, luck works and cuts both ways but is conveniently forgotten about.

As for a home win coming soon, I hope you are right. It might be a hell of a lot sooner if we cut out the stupid sunday league defending errors and actually took a chance that has been created.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Nov 2009 15:25

Schards#2

IIRC correctly, Leicester had a couple of one on ones which were far better chances than we created. As for yesterday, our goal basically hit Church and went in otherwise it would have been a horrific miss by Gilfi so I don't buy this 'we are getting no luck' rubbish.

We are where we deserve to be and I believe we will be here or hereabouts at the end of the season as I don't believe we have the forwards to score enough goals not to be.

Ipswich may have only lost 1 in 7 but I thought there were dire and there for the taking, regrettably, we completely lost momentum with Long coming on. Normally, a draw at home to the bottom side would produce howls of outrage, it's a testimony to how poor we are that this one generally hasn't.

Finally, as per Leicester, well done the fans - there are teams who would be having pitch invasions and walkouts by now let alone booing but our crowd still gets behind the team at the ground.

You make your own luck I agree, but our "bad luck" comes from confidence and relaxation problems, not a lack of quality.

Those two one on ones with Leicester both had defenders in close attendence if not ahead fo the striker and I'd have backed Fed 7 or 8 times out of 10 to save both of them. It wasn't a case of poor finishing.

Against Leicester with a better final strike of the ball we could have had 4 or 5 goals.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 08 Nov 2009 15:47

Terminal Boardom

You talk about luck and that we could have more points than we have now but conveniently forget about the luck that we have had already this season. Fed pulled off a blinder of a save to keep the score 0-0 against Forest. Fed saves a pen at Swansea. Fed has a blinder at Preston as they throw everything at us. Sigs shot yesterday hits Church and goes in. So you see, luck works and cuts both ways but is conveniently forgotten about.

As for a home win coming soon, I hope you are right. It might be a hell of a lot sooner if we cut out the stupid sunday league defending errors and actually took a chance that has been created.

theres no point in going back to earlier in the season when we were by my own admission crap, Im just trying to say that it is improving, do you remember boro when we didnt have a shot on target till the 90th minute? we are now creating chances, putting them away is the problem..we are beginning to see a settled side, sure there are improvements rquired in certain areas, up front and centre defence certainly needs looking at, but I am confident that we will soon be moving slowly up the table.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 08 Nov 2009 15:58

It's becoming accepted on this thread that the goal went in off Church fortuitously. Both the commentator and Claridge didn't give him much credit for it. But I've just rewatched it several times on iPlayer, and I think it's definitely a shot, however instinctive. In which case, I'd say it's an excellent goal by Church, resulting from instinctive reaction.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 08 Nov 2009 16:00

The difference for me now is that we're bemoaning all our missed chances. Earlier in the season we were barely making any chances at all - our goals were largely from set pieces. When the team had no real cohesion and didn't know what to do with the ball I was worried. Now that we're making chances and missing them, I somehow feel it's only a matter of time until they start going in and it could be a confidence issue. Maybe I'm overly optimistic.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 08 Nov 2009 16:03

facaldaqui It's becoming accepted on this thread that the goal went in off Church fortuitously. Both the commentator and Claridge didn't give him much credit for it. But I've just rewatched it several times on iPlayer, and I think it's definitely a shot, however instinctive. In which case, I'd say it's an excellent goal by Church, resulting from instinctive reaction.

I thought that from the replays at the stadium, but whether he knew much about it or not, he was there in the right place at the right time.

194 posts