Back from the game: It was better...

194 posts
Dorset-Knob

Re: Back from the game: It was better...

by Dorset-Knob » 09 Nov 2009 16:31

I'm looking forward to the Blackpool game in particular, as a measure of 'old school, round pegs in round holes, 442 team spirit graft' v 'world class model, revolution, big book of tactics' type contest.

I personally have a lot of respect and time for old 'Hollers-way' to the extent that I wouldn't have minded him being in our hotseat and it will be interesting to see the outcome of this contest.

Of course we should, if we're going the right way, wipe the floor with their philosophy, but then I didn't expect David Haye to beat 'Goliath' either!

This has to be an acid test doesn't it?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 Nov 2009 16:39

Dorset-Knob This has to be an acid test doesn't it?

Only partly - what we're seeing is an upward trend. One of the things wrong with HNA is that ever match is taken as an acid test - win it and we're wonderful, lose and we're terrible. So it's an indication of progress or otherwise, but not the be all and end all of things.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Nov 2009 16:39

Ideal One single result is not enough to convince me of anything, the concept of league play is to consistently pick up points over a period of time. Hence the only thing that would convince me that keeping Rodgers in the job would be worthwhile, would be if we had a series of good results over a period of time.
Currently the opposite is what has been the case, we have had a series of poor and embarressing results only rarely interrupted by the odd fluke win, likely only caused by the law of averages kicking in at random.

On current evidence he has proven only that he is a failure as manager of RFC. I hope that I have sufficiently answered your question, but just to clarify once more: there is nothing so far to indicate to me that the manager is in any way capable of bringing us good results. The only thing that would convince me otherwise would obviously be a series of good results. And what we have now is a loooong series of BAD results. Hence I am convinced that the manager is NOT capable of bringing us good results.

The thing is it's not a loooong series of bad results, it's a continuation of a stupidly poor home record.

Our away record is solid midtable (we're 13th on the away table) it's the home form (where we are firmly routed last) that is the trouble. We need to win at home for everyone's sake, if we do then I believe we will be midtable this year, which for a rebuilding season is fine.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 Nov 2009 16:42

Stranded The thing is it's not a loooong series of bad results, it's a continuation of a stupidly poor home record.

Our away record is solid midtable (we're 13th on the away table) it's the home form (where we are firmly routed last) that is the trouble. We need to win at home for everyone's sake, if we do then I believe we will be midtable this year, which for a rebuilding season is fine.

And the longer theh run at home goes on, the worst it becomes and the more it plays on players' minds, and the harder it is to overcome!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Nov 2009 16:57

Dirk Gently
Stranded The thing is it's not a loooong series of bad results, it's a continuation of a stupidly poor home record.

And the longer theh run at home goes on, the worst it becomes and the more it plays on players' minds, and the harder it is to overcome!

Precisely and I really don't see how it's the managers fault given it started a long time before he came to the club. This home record simply defies belief and it's length is almost impossible esp given the lack of goals included (not scoring in 11 of the 16 games) - even Darlington with a meagre 5 points all season have won at home.

I think if and when we get this win, we may begin to see a fairly decent home record (the signs are there in the recent performances) and move toward the midtable obscurity that most anticipated this year.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 09 Nov 2009 16:59

So the longer the no-win home run goes on, the more we expect them to win?

Odd, but kinda makes sense.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 Nov 2009 16:59

Stranded
Dirk Gently

Precisely and I really don't see how it's the managers fault given it started a long time before he came to the club. This home record simply defies belief and it's length is almost impossible esp given the lack of goals included (not scoring in 11 of the 16 games) - even Darlington with a meagre 5 points all season have won at home.

I think if and when we get this win, we may begin to see a fairly decent home record (the signs are there in the recent performances) and move toward the midtable obscurity that most anticipated this year.

if anyoen shoudl be blamed, how about blaming Tim Dellor? He was the one who made such a big thing of the home run to players and manager who largely didn't know about it!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Nov 2009 17:06

Sarah Star So the longer the no-win home run goes on, the more we expect them to win?

In a way I guess so yes, any long run has to come to an end. So the expectation almost becomes that the next game has to be the one to end it (although equally we as fans almost seem resigned to not winning as we turn up). The longer it goes on the more "likely" it is to end at the next game. Obviously there is no scientific basis to this.

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 09 Nov 2009 17:08

Dirk Gently
Dorset-Knob This has to be an acid test doesn't it?

Only partly - what we're seeing is an upward trend. One of the things wrong with HNA is that ever match is taken as an acid test - win it and we're wonderful, lose and we're terrible. So it's an indication of progress or otherwise, but not the be all and end all of things.

Good point DG, however in this particular instance it will be a very good indicator of the efficacy of two very distinct styles of management and I am surprised at the amount of people confidently predicting a victory for the 'hoops' over a very well disciplined and effective seasider's eleven. It ought to be quite a spicy affair!

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 09 Nov 2009 17:21

zummerset Blackpool are going to hammer us. The difference being one has a manager who talks like a clown but can walk the walk - the other is just a clown...

What's wrong with Ian Holloway? Turned Blackpool around this season.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 09 Nov 2009 17:22

Dorset-Knob I am surprised at the amount of people confidently predicting a victory for the 'hoops' over a very well disciplined and effective seasider's eleven.

Have people been confidently predicting a win somewhere?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 09 Nov 2009 17:22

zummerset Blackpool are going to hammer us. The difference being one has a manager who talks like a clown but can walk the walk - the other is just a clown...

LOL at anyone thinking Blackpool will 'hammer' us.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 09 Nov 2009 17:46

winchester_royal

LOL at anyone thinking Blackpool will 'hammer' us.

1-1 it is then

zummerset

by zummerset » 09 Nov 2009 18:23

LoyalRoyalFan

Is your tongue in cheek or have you missed the implication?

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 09 Nov 2009 18:26

Royal Rother
Dorset-Knob I am surprised at the amount of people confidently predicting a victory for the 'hoops' over a very well disciplined and effective seasider's eleven.

Have people been confidently predicting a win somewhere?

Aged, fallible memory admittedly, of recent posts on HNA suggesting that we will beat Blackpool, which I'd be highly delighted about by the way. I wouldn't be reporting this if I hadn't read it, but I can't be arsed to check back and confirm actual posts TBF! :wink:

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 09 Nov 2009 18:29

zummerset
LoyalRoyalFan

Is your tongue in cheek or have you missed the implication?

I like Hollers'away, 'to be fair' but I thought your post was accurate and funny!

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 09 Nov 2009 18:53

Dirk Gently With a match where we're expected to lose perhaps the players will just relax and go out and play in a more relaxed way and win!

Indicative of how far we have fallen so very quickly that we are expectant of a home defeat to Blackpool :|

Humanistic

by Humanistic » 09 Nov 2009 18:54

Wycombe Royal
Humanistic Good post but could you explain why he 'deserved' the stick he got? He wasn't the greatest player we've had, sure, but I thought he was a perfectly reasonable championship right back and always gave his all.

The reason he got the boos was nothing to do with his footballing abilities, more to do with his mouth.....

I thought that might be the case, but I didn't really find anything to object to in that EP column. Maybe some are more sensitive than others..

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 09 Nov 2009 19:07

Stranded
Sarah Star So the longer the no-win home run goes on, the more we expect them to win?

In a way I guess so yes, any long run has to come to an end. So the expectation almost becomes that the next game has to be the one to end it (although equally we as fans almost seem resigned to not winning as we turn up). The longer it goes on the more "likely" it is to end at the next game. Obviously there is no scientific basis to this.

and then the minute it goes tits up, the crowd turns against them and there's a rumble of discontent upon every touch.

Making them play further within themselves and less likely to turn things around.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 09 Nov 2009 19:41

floyd__streete
Dirk Gently With a match where we're expected to lose perhaps the players will just relax and go out and play in a more relaxed way and win!

Indicative of how far we have fallen so very quickly that we are expectant of a home defeat to Blackpool :|

Is it not also indicative of how far they have risen that they are expectant of an away win at Reading?

194 posts