Back from the game: It was better...

194 posts
Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Back from the game: It was better...

by Royal Lady » 08 Nov 2009 10:10

Terrible first half, better in second half. Trouble is, we made Ipswich look quite good. Let's not forget though, they're bottom. If we can't beat these types of teams, what hope do we have? Can't stand up for Marek today, though I normally do, I thought he looked slow and not his usual self for whatever reason.

Bringing on Long is just laughable. I would have stuck with what we had up front, which is still worrying.

BR is going to spend the next two weeks "reflecting". I can tell him already what needs to be done, stick with that same set of players, as much as is possible, because we're not going to bringing many, if any, in (though a striker is an absolute MUST imo), don't bother substituting anyone for Long, he really isn't the impact sub some people seem to think he is, don't fanny about with these short corners, get the ball in the box and at least give us a chance of one of our players getting to it/oppo player making a mistake, go back to basics on the training field, get rid of Lampard Sr for a start, bring in a Wally Downes type person to really work on our defence, keep your head down, do a "Coppell" and play down our chances of moving up the table, stop talking about a top six place/promotion or whatever. Thanks.

And to the absolute mong of a woman sat behind me who thinks "Long is our best striker" get down to specsavers love. Mind you, this was the woman who told Kitson to "go back to stacking shelves, you're rubbish" a few seasons ago. :roll:

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 08 Nov 2009 10:12

RL, just wondering. Have you been down to the training ground to see Lampard senior's contribution to the training and if so what is so wrong about it?

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 08 Nov 2009 10:23

Royal With Cheese RL, just wondering. Have you been down to the training ground to see Lampard senior's contribution to the training and if so what is so wrong about it?

She don't make it down to Cobham much mate....

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 08 Nov 2009 10:27

Ian Royal What part of once again gave the bal awa too cheaply are you miss-understanding?

Umm, the middle bit! :lol:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 08 Nov 2009 10:30

Royal With Cheese RL, just wondering. Have you been down to the training ground to see Lampard senior's contribution to the training and if so what is so wrong about it?

No, I haven't, but I've read that Rodgers has said they don't do "normal training" and do "fun things" instead or words to that effect and also that Lampard Sr (when he turns up) is a "mentor" for the players. Personally, I think we should get back to basics re training and the players would have been better off with a "mentor" such as Murty if one was needed at all.

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 08 Nov 2009 10:57

gazzer, loyal royal Correct me if I'm wrong but is it also the first time we've gone behind this year and got something out of the game?

We were one down at Barnsley earlier in the season, unless you're referring just to home games.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 08 Nov 2009 10:59

We deserved the win based on 2nd half performance and blatant penalty shout (by the way who would be our penalty taker?)

Marek had a shocker

Pearce is awful, i thought tabb stood out performance wise and Mcanuff was decent 2nd half!

We need a striker on loan asap!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 08 Nov 2009 11:04

loyalroyal4life We deserved the win based on 2nd half performance and blatant penalty shout (by the way who would be our penalty taker?)

Marek had a shocker

Pearce is awful, i thought tabb stood out performance wise and Mcanuff was decent 2nd half!

We need a striker on loan asap!

Howard probably.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 08 Nov 2009 11:23

Very poor first half, much better second. I was disappointed at how we reacted to the poorly conceded goal (Rasiak and Ingi should both have done better), although having said that we still managed to carve out one or two decent chances despite our ponderous build ups and nervy work in the last third. Second half we got a bit of luck with the goal, although I have to note that Marek started the decent move that led to it, despite having not one of his better days as others have pointed out. After that, we deserved to go on and win, as we played with confidence and verve. Slightly disappointed at the reaction to Liam, but pleased for him that he played well although I wish he hadn't quite made so many vital blocks in their box.

Marks out of 10:-

Fed - 7; made at least two top notch saves
Tabb - 7; I'm a fan of his I admit, but once again he seemed to do no wrong and broke forward well on one or two occasions
Ingi - 6; has lost what little pace he had, and was at fault for the goal - really, Keane should have had a pacy forward on from the start
Pearce 5; I still can't believe how much poorer he looks these days - Ingi and Mills or O'Dea has got to be the way forward from now on
Bertrand - 7; impressive defensively, got forward well as the game opened up
McAnuff - 8; man of the match yet again - creative, and works really hard to get back
Marek - 6; as a fan of his, I was disappointed - rarely found the right pass, although Ipswich had done well to identify him as a danger and close his options quickly
Howard - 7; best performance yet from Brian - with this pairing we will constantly lose the midfield battle but get chances - a tricky roller-coaster of a midfield selection, but I hope BR sticks with it because it will bring goals
Gylfi - 6; a bit patchy but always a threat
Rasiak - 6; approach play was better, almost put away his one chance
Church - 7; improving all the time, this was one of his best games - intelligent running, learning to hold the ball up and bring others into the game - encouraging stuff

Long - 6; added some defence-stretching running, nearly scored and also deserved a pen
Cisse - 6; shored up the midfield
Kebe - 6; a decent threat with his pace

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 08 Nov 2009 11:47

According to the BBC stats, we had 4 shots on target compare to Ipswich's 6, but 14 off target compared to their 3.

Says it all really, we need some shooting practise to actually hit the target.

Pablo

by Pablo » 08 Nov 2009 12:02

We showed good character and were unlucky not to win it. We just need that wee bit of luck :)

I thought the performance was good but we still need more quality in the final third.

McAnuff, Tabb and Bertrand were very good.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 08 Nov 2009 12:05

Dirk Gently
Victor Meldrew Their goal-for what must be the 40th time or more during the last 3 years it was a case of defenders not taking responsibility,nobody wanted to clear the ball.

In my view it was a clear case of Federici failing to control his area, and staying rooted to his line.

Agree - that was Feds to take.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 08 Nov 2009 12:05

A couple of afterthoughts.
Cisse supposedly comes on to shore up the midfield (when we are drawing the game!!)but actually he usually doesn't.
Brendan -stop going on about luck.
We were lucky to play Coventry when they had just brought in a new keeper and their back 4 was just a bunch of kids including a 17 year-old right-back.
We were lucky yesterday that Siggy's shot which was going wide hit Church on the knee.

Yes we were unlucky not to get a penalty (BTW who would have taken it ?) so that evens things out as Church hit the bar and Priskin missed a sitter near the end as well as earlier heading straight at Fed when it was easier to score.
It's nothing to do with bad luck that we are in the relegation zone,it's more to do with bad defending and bad striking and I get the feeling that these players just aren't good enough and they just don't have a winning mentality.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Nov 2009 12:08

Awful 1st half.much better 2nd.that scrappy goal settled the nerves. Battered them after that,great tension and excitement.def a pen, hit bar 2 times, a million corners. Ivar at fault for goal, comedy'oh oxf*rd' spotted on highlights. Marek poor, howard and mcanuff the pick imo. Just need that striker. Br did say hed wait for the break b4 doing someting after leicester.

Pablo

by Pablo » 08 Nov 2009 12:09

Ian Royal
AthleticoSpizz
Ian Royal Howard's growing on me.

Not sure why Cissse came on instead of Karacan, saying that he didn't seem to bad from the telly, but Karacan is far better in every way, but height.
Howard (imho) had a good game today Ian.

Got well deserved applause when subbed

One c0ck-up that lost pocession, other than that....quite pleasing

(no doubt, this being Hobnob, some will slate him whilst praising his sidekick :roll: )

Think he's been at his best when not required to be the attacking creative one. He's definitely not a defensive midfielder but he's playing the supporting role to Marek pretty well. I still prefer Sig (another assist today according to beeb) though.

Sig has 4 assists from 11 games in the league and playing out of possition!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 08 Nov 2009 12:09

People seem to be forgetting that we DREW at HOME to the BOTTOM side. Does no-one else share my view that we are right royally in the poo if we can't beat these sorts of teams? The only good thing to be taken from recent games is that, finally, Rodgers appears to have settled on a team, and we've managed to get 4 points from 2 games in a 2 game run! We're still in trouble at the moment, and the closer it gets to Christmas, the more worried I become...

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 08 Nov 2009 12:11

Royal Lady People seem to be forgetting that we DREW at HOME to the BOTTOM side. Does no-one else share my view that we are right royally in the poo if we can't beat these sorts of teams? The only good thing to be taken from recent games is that, finally, Rodgers appears to have settled on a team, and we've managed to get 4 points from 2 games in a 2 game run! We're still in trouble at the moment, and the closer it gets to Christmas, the more worried I become...

Thanks for giving us all a bit of perspective RL.

It's not like we drew against the bottom club at home last yea........oh.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 08 Nov 2009 12:15

Royal Lady People seem to be forgetting that we DREW at HOME to the BOTTOM side. Does no-one else share my view that we are right royally in the poo if we can't beat these sorts of teams? The only good thing to be taken from recent games is that, finally, Rodgers appears to have settled on a team, and we've managed to get 4 points from 2 games in a 2 game run! We're still in trouble at the moment, and the closer it gets to Christmas, the more worried I become...

Somebody else on here has pointed out that Ipswich have only lost 1 game in their last 7 now. They're improving all the time and don't expect them to be in the bottom 3 come May. In fact don't expect them to be in the bottom 3 come Christmas.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 08 Nov 2009 12:16

Platypuss
Dirk Gently
Victor Meldrew Their goal-for what must be the 40th time or more during the last 3 years it was a case of defenders not taking responsibility,nobody wanted to clear the ball.

In my view it was a clear case of Federici failing to control his area, and staying rooted to his line.

Agree - that was Feds to take.

No way, not with two big men in there who could have cleared it.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 08 Nov 2009 12:21

rhroyal

Somebody else on here has pointed out that Ipswich have only lost 1 game in their last 7 now. They're improving all the time and don't expect them to be in the bottom 3 come May. In fact don't expect them to be in the bottom 3 come Christmas.

Okay, so where do you expect us to be come Christmas?

194 posts