O'Dea on his time at Reading

172 posts
st george

O'Dea on his time at Reading

by st george » 27 Jan 2010 18:23

Interesting interview from Darren O'Dea in the Evening Herald in Ireland.

"I am glad I went to Reading and I learned alot about the game in the time I was there."
"Brendan Rogers was a great manager and a good bloke , but there are other people at
club who were bringing it down. Brendan was one of the good things about the club and
I owe him a lot , it's just a pity that other people at the club were not helping , and I
think that Reading , as a club , will struggle until those people are gone . As a coach
and manager , Brendan taught me a lot and I still have a lot of time for him."

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: O'Dea on his time at Reading

by West Stand Flash » 27 Jan 2010 18:26

Nicky Hammond and Nigel Howe. That is fairly obvious.

Stevie G

by Stevie G » 27 Jan 2010 18:34

I really appreciate his honesty, but this is disgraceful if the club don't act, I mean he was an 'impartial visitor' to all intents, it must be obvious to others.

Or maybe he just didn't get the bigger 'ambitious' picture.

ROKERITE

by ROKERITE » 27 Jan 2010 18:36

st george Interesting interview from Darren O'Dea in the Evening Herald in Ireland.

"I am glad I went to Reading and I learned alot about the game in the time I was there."
"Brendan Rogers was a great manager and a good bloke , but there are other people at
club who were bringing it down. Brendan was one of the good things about the club and
I owe him a lot , it's just a pity that other people at the club were not helping , and I
think that Reading , as a club , will struggle until those people are gone . As a coach

How long before Ideal comes on to rubbish O'Dea's comments, and suggest that O'Dea and Rodgers were having an unconventional relationship, as the only explanation for Darren praising Brendan? Reading supporters are going to have a long time to regret the precipitate and indefensible decision to sack Rodgers. I was confident that Rodgers would have had Reading back in The Premier League within three years. Now, I'm not optimistic about your chances of being in The Championship within three years of May, 2010.

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 27 Jan 2010 18:36

Irish player in supports Irish manager shock! meaningless...............without facts!

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 27 Jan 2010 18:37

quite possible he means JM, he cant be talking about interference in team matters surely, tho does JM not poke his nose into the dressing room pre match sometimes.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 27 Jan 2010 18:42

Hang on didn't BR drop Odea after a few games.

Quagmire

by Quagmire » 27 Jan 2010 18:46

Harpers So Solid Crew Hang on didn't BR drop Odea after a few games.

Maybe a "pay per game" arrangement with Celtic - would stack up with what he said about others at the club being to blame.

rob9182

by rob9182 » 27 Jan 2010 18:50

I'm with ROKERITE on this one I think sacking Rodgers when we did was the wrong thing to do. I admit he had faults however every manager has. We should have sacked Rodgers either well before Christmas or given him a whole season because look at us now. Yes we can beat premier league teams but unfortunately for us FA Cup runs do not keep us in the league for another season!

st george

by st george » 27 Jan 2010 18:50

Did seem strange at the time , was one of our better performers at the back.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 27 Jan 2010 19:05

So at last a player with no obvious "keep your mouth shut when you leave" agreement, has spoken about the complete shambles that this club has become..................hope you had a nice holiday Sir John, a good cup match crowd against West Brom should guarantee you another nice one.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 27 Jan 2010 19:11

O'Dea's comments do make you wonder what the hell has been going on. He has no reason to be supportive of Rodgers given that he barely played...yet he backs him all the way.

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 27 Jan 2010 19:12

Shock, another story to show what a joke this club is. I'm surprised.................NOT

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 27 Jan 2010 19:17

Before anyone tries to claim the OP has made it up.

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/odea- ... 33806.html

"I am glad I went to Reading and I learned a lot about the game in the time I was there," he says.

"Brendan Rogers was a great manager and a good bloke, but there are other people at the club who were bringing it down. Brendan was one of the good things about the club and I owe him a lot, it's just a pity that other people at the club were not helping, and I think Reading, as a club, will struggle until those people are gone. As a coach and a manager, Brendan taught me a lot and I still have a lot of time for him.

"I was moved around a bit when I was at Reading, I played centre-half and full-back. I had no problem with that, Reading had a few injuries and they needed people to fill in, so it wasn't a problem to play left back or right back.

"It was a good experience for me just to try something different. I've been at Celtic since I was 15 years old. I was 18 or 19 when I made my debut. I have been at the club all along and didn't have loan spells when I was younger, before I went to Reading.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 27 Jan 2010 19:22

Rodgers was sacked when he made it known he wanted a transfer kitty and JM refused.

He couldn't carry on when the old school closed ranks.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 27 Jan 2010 19:29

Another damning verdict on how our club is being run and how Rodgers should never have been sacked.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 27 Jan 2010 19:37

st george Interesting interview from Darren O'Dea in the Evening Herald in Ireland.

No doubt the Madejski disciples will try to discredit O'Dea in a manner that would make Blair's spin doctors proud. He does, of course, have a hidden agenda and that is why he is saying such things. Must have been gutted to have had to leave the mighty Reading FC, such a magnificently run club with the best Chairman in the world.

What a shame that he wouldn't name names. Ego and his three dumb monkeys?

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 27 Jan 2010 19:38

The worrying thing is he wasn't the only player who said it. Noel Hunt said via his Twitter page something along similar lines about it not being Rodgers fault and someone else's.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 27 Jan 2010 19:38

Has nobody heard of the word 'Recession'?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 27 Jan 2010 19:40

Top Flight Has nobody heard of the word 'Recession'?

Yes - and unlike you I actually understand it.

172 posts