Marek's future

Dorset-Knob

Re: Marek's future

by Dorset-Knob » 18 Mar 2010 19:26

Can the people suggesting we should 'cash in' on Marek please have a stab at writing the ad:-

'For sale, promising, slightly used, enigmatic, Czech international footballer, three previous owners, very low mileage, prone to bouts of injury and failure to deliver and communicate on a meaningful level anyway, whilst at work, with his peers'

Doesn't sound like a moneyspinner to me!

:|

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 18 Mar 2010 20:22

juanpablo still the best passer in the club, if he had a run of games we would see that

I liken this to the kebe situation , kebe trys to take people on if he gets tackled 1 in 3 thats not good enough for Reading fans despite no other player (before Jobi) every taking anybody on. An example of who Reading fans expect would be Cristiano Ronaldo

Mareks searching balls dont always come off but then there isnt any other player in our squad trying those kind of balls. An example of who Reading fans expect would be somebody like Pirlo

we cant get world class players in a championship team with no budget but ill happily take players that can give us world class moments especially when mixed in with solid work horses (most of our squad)

Really good post. Kebe got slaughtered. Now look at him. I'd still like to see him given another chance.

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 18 Mar 2010 21:21

peterroyal76 I've just done a quick google check and it was alleged players went out partying after a defeat to Slovakia. The coach was sacked,the captain retired and six players were kicked out of the squad.
http://www.radio.cz/en/article/115105

Aside from Ujfaluši, who retired of his own volition following the scandal, some of those sacked players appeared more dispensible than others. Certainly, Svěrkoš and Baroš both get picked fairly regularly by Ivan Hašek. In other words, if Matějovský was really considered good enough for the squad, he'd be in it. A shame, we seem to have smothered his career by mistake.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 18 Mar 2010 21:22

Matejovsky has achieved the square root of bugger all in his time with RFC. Clearly talented, clearly unsuited to the english game. I forgot, I forgot, I forgot that he was here. I forgot that he was here.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Mar 2010 21:33

Yes, he's the best passer in the squad and has great vision but his all round game just isn't up to it. I can't see where he fits in. Doesn't have the all round game and goalscoring threat of Gylfi, doesn't have the experience and all round game of Howard, doesn't have the bite and tenacity of Tabb or Karacan and most crucially, he doesn't play to the strengths of the rest of the team. I wouldn't pick him ahead of any of those four because they all bring more crucial attributes to the team. So he can pick a great pass. Absolutely useless if 99 times out of 100 nobody reads it and he brings little else to the table. Which is a massive shame because he would make an excellent playmaker just about anywhere in Europe.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 20 Mar 2010 11:48

PEARCEY
juanpablo still the best passer in the club, if he had a run of games we would see that

I liken this to the kebe situation , kebe trys to take people on if he gets tackled 1 in 3 thats not good enough for Reading fans despite no other player (before Jobi) every taking anybody on. An example of who Reading fans expect would be Cristiano Ronaldo

Mareks searching balls dont always come off but then there isnt any other player in our squad trying those kind of balls. An example of who Reading fans expect would be somebody like Pirlo

we cant get world class players in a championship team with no budget but ill happily take players that can give us world class moments especially when mixed in with solid work horses (most of our squad)

Really good post. Kebe got slaughtered. Now look at him. I'd still like to see him given another chance.

Can I just point out that we've won 8 of the last 9 games.

It appears that the management have got something right. Included in that 'rightness' is a consistent non-selection of MM.

Tell me why they are soooo wrong and you're right.
:roll:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Mar 2010 11:54

The simple fact is, it is Marek or Sig. Sig has contributed more in his 20 odd games this season than Marek has in 2 years.

You simply can't play him in a position where he needs to work hard, cover ground, hassle and make tackles. Someone earlier said he's more mobile than Howard, which I find a hilarious suggestion. Mobile is definitely not a word I'd use to describe Marek.

He's good at reverse passes that set the wingers / strikers through. But he just can't keep up with the speed of the game over here. It's a shame, but he's a good player that doesn't fit.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 20 Mar 2010 12:31

Franchise FC
PEARCEY

Can I just point out that we've won 8 of the last 9 games.

It appears that the management have got something right. Included in that 'rightness' is a consistent non-selection of MM.

Tell me why they are soooo wrong and you're right.
:roll:

What the hell are you talking about... :roll: Read what people say before making such idiotic comments.
McD is doing an incredible job at the moment. It has not been suggested he has got anything wrong at all. However Kebe got slaughtered by many posters on here and has been tranformed under McD.The same could happen with Matejovsky.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 20 Mar 2010 12:51

PEARCEY What the hell are you talking about... :roll: Read what people say before making such idiotic comments.
McD is doing an incredible job at the moment. It has not been suggested he has got anything wrong at all. However Kebe got slaughtered by many posters on here and has been tranformed under McD.The same could happen with Matejovsky.

Actually, Mr High & Mighty.

The same could only happen for Matejovsky if BMcD changed the team, and probably the style to accommodate MM. WHY WOULD HE DO THAT WHEN THE TEAM ARE CURRENTLY THE SECOND BEST TEAM IN EUROPE ? (see the OS)

The facts about Kebe are that, despite being a three-legged bambi on drugs on ice at times, he managed to cause such confusion that players around him could pick up the pieces. I don't remember MM doing that. I don't remember MM using his pace to run past anyone either - with or without the ball.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Mar 2010 13:13

PEARCEY What the hell are you talking about... :roll: Read what people say before making such idiotic comments.

He'd have to play him, which isn't going to happen whilst Sigurdsson is fit. And quite rightly so.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 20 Mar 2010 13:35

Franchise FC

Actually, Mr High & Mighty.

The same could only happen for Matejovsky if BMcD changed the team, and probably the style to accommodate MM. WHY WOULD HE DO THAT WHEN THE TEAM ARE CURRENTLY THE SECOND BEST TEAM IN EUROPE ? (see the OS)

The facts about Kebe are that, despite being a three-legged bambi on drugs on ice at times, he managed to cause such confusion that players around him could pick up the pieces. I don't remember MM doing that. I don't remember MM using his pace to run past anyone either - with or without the ball.

You are the one trying to be high and mighty sunny Jim.
Once again I suggest you read my posts before coming out with inaccurate drivel. I have not said McD should change the side to accommodate Matejovsky. However at some stage there will be injuries/suspensions and I would like to see him given a chance. As I have said he may be rejuvenated under McD and perform like Kebe has done.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 20 Mar 2010 14:26

Sig was given a chance and took it. How many chances does an established international actually need? As Mr Franchise stated quite clearly, 8 wins in 9 speaks volumes. Why should BMcD drop Sig - who is flying, for a misfiring 1980s Skoda in Marek?

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 20 Mar 2010 14:34

Terminal Boardom Sig was given a chance and took it. How many chances does an established international actually need? As Mr Franchise stated quite clearly, 8 wins in 9 speaks volumes. Why should BMcD drop Sig - who is flying, for a misfiring 1980s Skoda in Marek?

...and who has said that Sig should be dropped....bizarre thing to say.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 20 Mar 2010 14:39

PEARCEY
Terminal Boardom Sig was given a chance and took it. How many chances does an established international actually need? As Mr Franchise stated quite clearly, 8 wins in 9 speaks volumes. Why should BMcD drop Sig - who is flying, for a misfiring 1980s Skoda in Marek?

Well, IMHO, Sig is playing the role that Marek should be doing. Is Marek an all hustle and bustle merchant like Karacan, Tabb, Howard or Boris? No. Would you rather have Marek play the holding role? The only way that Marek would get a game is by dropping Sig or playing Sig wide. Not so bizarre really is it.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 20 Mar 2010 14:44

Terminal Boardom
PEARCEY

Well, IMHO, Sig is playing the role that Marek should be doing. Is Marek an all hustle and bustle merchant like Karacan, Tabb, Howard or Boris? No. Would you rather have Marek play the holding role? The only way that Marek would get a game is by dropping Sig or playing Sig wide. Not so bizarre really is it.

As I've said earlier I would like to see Matejovsky given another chance but certainly not ahead of Siggy no. However when Siggy was injured Matejovsky wasn't brought into the side although admittedly I think Siggy was being played wide at the time.
I still think Marek's still worth another chance but not necessarily in central midfield. Maybe he has to drift wider.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 20 Mar 2010 14:52

But how many chances does he need? Seeing how BMcD is getting the best out of an ordinary bunch, I would have thought that if anyone can get Marek to deliver then BMcD could. And he has had more injuries that I have had hot dinners.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Mar 2010 14:56

Marek wider!? That's a horrific idea IMO.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 20 Mar 2010 14:58

Terminal Boardom But how many chances does he need? Seeing how BMcD is getting the best out of an ordinary bunch, I would have thought that if anyone can get Marek to deliver then BMcD could. And he has had more injuries that I have had hot dinners.

True but how wany chances did Kebe and Long have? I think McD is Matejovsky's last chance at Reading no doubt about it...but I have seen periods in games where Matejovsky does look the part.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 20 Mar 2010 14:59

Ian Royal Marek wider!? That's a horrific idea IMO.

I just knew you'd say that Ian. I don't see why it is so horrific. I'm not talking out and out winger but certainly drifting to one side. It means that one of his eaknesses in tackling is not so exposed.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Mar 2010 15:02

PEARCEY
Ian Royal Marek wider!? That's a horrific idea IMO.

I just knew you'd say that Ian. I don't see why it is so horrific. I'm not talking out and out winger but certainly drifting to one side. It means that one of his eaknesses in tackling is not so exposed.

He doesn't beat players which is a key part of playing wide IMO. And from what I remember he has been horrendus when played wide once or twice. His strength is playing through balls from the centre of midfield. Drift wide and he can't do the only thing he's shown he's really good at.