Back from the Game: West Bromwich Albion

154 posts
handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

Back from the Game: West Bromwich Albion

by handbags_harris » 27 Mar 2010 17:35

That is annoying. A team we should have beaten comfortably comes away with a point with a last minute equaliser. We thoroughly outplayed the (apparently) best footballing side in the division. Cue promotion party at the end after they'd nicked a point. Lucky bastards.

Federici 8 - no errors, some good reaction saves, generally sound game.
Bertrand 8 - had the right winger in his pocket, did all that was asked of him. No faults.
Griffin 8 - Read Bertrand (only left winger)Thoroughly professional.
Mills 9 composed, calm, collected at the back. Cannot fault him.
Khizanishvili 9 - read Mills.
McAnuff 7 - great run for the goal but should have scored himself. Decent bit sometimes ineffective,
Kebe 7 - should have scored at 1-1. Generally a thorn in the side but could have done a bit more creatively IMO.
Howard 7 - A busy bee, butfor a generally sound player his passing skills leave a lot to be desired. Decent.
Gunnarsson 9 - excellent composed display from our most experienced player on view.
Sigurdsson 7 - should have scored 2. Decent first finish, but unbelievable miss for the one off the line. Great "professional foul" at the end :twisted:
Long 6 - worked hard to no avail really. I expected a lot more. No chances, tough is much better than it was though.

Subs:

Church 6 should have scored, did nothing else. End of.
Rasiak 6 - no opportunity to alter the path of the game.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Back from the Game: West Bromwich Albion

by Royal Lady » 27 Mar 2010 17:47

I'd have given everyone 8 or 9 personally - with exception of Church - who was a 6 maybe a 7. I remarked to Schards when he came on that I wouldn't have changed anything personally, but I don't know whether Long came off as he'd not been training due to birth of his baby or whatever. Long has changed so significantly for me - he's a much stronger player and holds the ball up well - I just hope he's not becoming the new "Leroy" and falling over on purpose, as it's just not worth it.

I thoroughly enjoyed that game and think everyone should be proud of their efforts, even the Reading fans!

Just heard on radio that Mr Angry managed to tell the referee assessors what they should be putting in their report! Good for him. I thought the standard of refereeing and the assistant refs was some of the poorest I've seen - and that's not sour grapes or anything - I'd have said the same if we'd won 7-0. A blatant foul throw from the hoardings and the number of times we were given offside and weren't, was laughable. However, Sig could have got a red card and Mills' looked like handball in the area - so West Brom are entitled to moan too!

Onwards and upwards.

URZZZZZZ

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 27 Mar 2010 17:51

Very good show 1st half

2nd half first 20 was ALL WBA, and we looked poor but started to get into it, even though WBA pressured again and again, chances from Kebe and Church (and Sig's header 1st half) should have won us the game, they didnt and im gutted :cry:

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Did I miss something?

by Chaney » 27 Mar 2010 17:55

Im convinced I must have missed a West brom goal when I went for a piss and we lost 2-1..how else can you explain the mass celebrations from their fans and a few players at the end?

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 27 Mar 2010 17:58

Was there a caller called Mr Angry on the radio, not sure there was?????

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Did I miss something?

by SLAMMED » 27 Mar 2010 17:58

I did find it funny that they celebrated as if they won. :lol:

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 27 Mar 2010 17:59

I'd have taken a draw this morning, so no complaints here. We played well and could have taken all three points, but we shouldn't moan in any way.

Except for the astonishing foul throw that kicked off the passage of play that led to the equaliser - if that lino ever picks up a flag again, it'll be too soon.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 27 Mar 2010 17:59

I don't like to break my rule of responding to you when you follow my comments around this forum, but I am 99.9% sure that the caller who called in to say he'd spoken to the referee assessors was Mr Angry. HTFH.

loyalroyaldaz

by loyalroyaldaz » 27 Mar 2010 18:00

Scott Carson had a good game for them but we should have scored more. Church missing the target completely was not good :cry: .
Great game though against a very good team lets not forget that and for large chunks of it we had them in a right old mess.
Well done Reading.

PS/ Officials were VVANK again ! :twisted:

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 27 Mar 2010 18:02

Well that was a really entertaining game and it says how far we have come that we are disappointed to get a draw against a team in automatic promotion spot.

We had numerous 1 on 1 chances and squandered every one, we could really of won this game 5 or 6 nil. West Brom played some good football, particularly in the second half but I think they scored from their first shot on target that half with a few minutes to go. Even then Kebe could of won it with another 1 on 1 but somehow managed not to dribble around the keeper and fluff his shot.

The ref was poor, but Gylfi should have gone for hauling down Dorens right at the end. The lino will get slated but yet again Church really was OFFSIDE for the majority of decisions, from what I could see the lino only got one wrong.

A special mention the worst foul throw decision you will ever see, Thomas vaulted the advertising hoardings whilst simultaneously taking the throw in - in mid air. From my limited knowledge of the rules you have to have both feet on the ground - he had none. They scored shortly afterwards that makes it particularly grate.

But overall a highly entertaining game and on reflection a point is not that bad.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 27 Mar 2010 18:03

Royal Lady I don't like to break my rule of responding to you when you follow my comments around this forum, but I am 99.9% sure that the caller who called in to say he'd spoken to the referee assessors was Mr Angry. HTFH.

I had exactly the same thought!

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 27 Mar 2010 18:05

Was that like the exact same second they equalized in the cup game? lol

Should have won, absolutely woeful finishing and I really think we need a 20 goal + striker in the team if we are to make play-offs next season.Can't see Church, long, rasiak are Hunt coming close unfortunately. You can't miss that many chances playing that sort of quality opposition.

Feels like a defeat but could have been if Sig hadn't done a solksjaer on dorrans haha, how was that not a straight red? Worst referee i've seen for a long time.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 27 Mar 2010 18:06

PieEater A special mention the worst foul throw decision you will ever see, Thomas vaulted the advertising hoardings whilst simultaneously taking the throw in - in mid air. From my limited knowledge of the rules you have to have both feet on the ground - he had none. They scored shortly afterwards that makes it particularly grate.

Indeed, but LOL at all those people saying we didn't win because of that decision. We didn't win because we didn't take our many chances.

Oh, and a very big LOL to the twat who texted BBCRB saying words to the effect that "Federici was outstanding but Church is rubbish." So, to recap, when we don't score it's because we're rubbish, but when they don't score it's because of the brilliance of our keeper. Yeah, right....

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 27 Mar 2010 18:07

Also thre extremely cyncial and deliberate fouls on players who were breaking though - by Bertrand, Mills and Sig.

Most un-Readinglike and not sure I approve.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 27 Mar 2010 18:10

They played Reading, and they didnt lose.

I'd celebrate that to be fair.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 27 Mar 2010 18:11

I am buzzing about that display. Every player gets a 9 or 10. Superb.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 27 Mar 2010 18:12

Dirk Gently Also thre extremely cyncial and deliberate fouls on players who were breaking though - by Bertrand, Mills and Sig.

I do. As everyone else does it to us. It would have been a travesty had dorrans gone through and scored a winner after they were lucky to get a point, I yelled for someone to take him down and was delighted when they did.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 27 Mar 2010 18:13

What an entertaining game that was, best overall game at the Mad Stad for quite a while. Also credit to our fans, felt the whole stadium was in good voice today and another positive and fun atmosphere.

Game wise I agree with the above, we should have taken our chances and that is what cost us 3 points. Really solid display though with plenty of guts and courage and I left the ground feeling so positive for next season.

Only negative was the utter garbage from D'urso and co. Honestly the bloke is trying SOOOOOOOO hard to be a Premier League ref that he misses the point of his job, which is to let the game flow. I've not seen a more inconsistant display from a ref in a long while :| As for his assistants, ALOL at the foul throw and 2-3 of the offside decisions.

Still onwards and upwards again!

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 27 Mar 2010 18:16

SouthDownsRoyal They played Reading, and they didnt lose.

I'd celebrate that to be fair.

+1 :lol:

Loved the big time tossers on the coaches giving it the V signs and oxf*rd gestures as they left the ground :roll:

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 27 Mar 2010 18:20

Dirk Gently Also thre extremely cyncial and deliberate fouls on players who were breaking though - by Bertrand, Mills and Sig.

"Professional foul" - I'd hate it if it happened against us, but it's perfectly acceptable if it's one of our players that's on the receiving end 8) It's one of those things Dirkers. An individual player needs to do what is best for his team.

As for the foul throw, I completely missed that. But I do vividly rememer saying, as the corner came in that led to their equaliser, "a good team scores round now and gets away with a result". Post hit, rebound rammed home. Proven right. Although West Brom were not particularly good today...

154 posts