Your Own Words on a Platter: An HNA? AnthoLOLogy

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

Your Own Words on a Platter: An HNA? AnthoLOLogy

by RoyalChicagoFC » 12 Apr 2010 03:51

Righto --I'm a big fan of putting people's words up there for accountability's sake (to say nothing of the LOLz)...I mean, I know that this is teh Innernetz not real life and all of that, but whatever, I don't care.

So I've done some keyword-searching and sifting for some prime threads that have lain fallow for a while --and not, it emerges, without reason. :lol:

So here's a select few, and I'll chuck more in here as time permits. Feel free to post your own, and I'll add 'em to this post so to have a more complete LOLibrary of tribulation.

Also copy/paste some of your fave posts from other threads in here. Right, then --leading us off:

Are we going down? saw the indefatigable TBM taking a pause --albeit a necessarily brief one-- from his "Make Anything Else Something upon Which We All Someday Will Look Back with Pride [read: post count!]" campaign to put it plainly to The Team board just six weeks out of the starting blocks on Thursday 17th September (which was the day that followed our heroes' 0-1 home defeat to Cardiff City that left us in 18th place on 6 points from our first seven league matches and, in other business, knocked out of the League Cup at the second hurdle with a 1-2 home defeat to Barnsley on 25th August)

The Positive Thread, started by forum denizen Victor Meldrew on 29th December of last year, didn't quite have the juice to get into 2010. Not at all bad for an appetizer and harbinger of what was not long in following.

I think Reading may be relegated this season. saw occasional contributor ROKERITE give direct and explicit expression to the vague pull of angst then rippling amidst the massive. Posted on Sunday 10th January --a week after the home draw with Liverpool in the Third Round of the Cup, immediately after the postponed Newcastle fixture of the day before and just days before Anfield.

ROKERITE signed off with this dire warning by way of concluding the initial post:
If Reading start February in the bottom three then it is too big a gamble not to bring in Ian Dowie

Despite a 1-0 beating of Barnsley on the penultimate day of January, our hooped heroes stood in 22nd place at month's end, on 26 points and three adrift of Ipswich above the drop zone. Would it be Dowie to the rescue come February?

BRIAN McDERMOTT SIGN HIM UP, started by shoey (and soon thereafter merged by a vigilant mod with an offering from rfcjoe entitled I'm not saying this because of tonight's result....), followed in the immediate wake of the massive result at Anfield on Wednesday 13th January; 'nuff said right there, football fans!

Reading Cut Adrift in Bottom Four sees the ever cheerful, optimistic and above all clairvoyant Sir Dodger Royal get the ball rolling after the league defeat away to the ten men of Nottingham Forest back on 16th January with, in his own words...
Real Facts from the Main Man. You know it makes seseeeeeeeeeee [sic]

Keepin' 'em honest as ever, that SDR --a name at the mere mention of which liars, cheats and thieves slink away for the nearest hole or pile of dead leaves

Bottom 3 is how, three days on, West Stand Flash baldly laid out the predicament confronting Manager Brian McDermott and his charges. In particular, WSF drew a parallel between Sheffield Wednesday appointing a new manager at midseason and immediately hauling themselves out of the bottom three at the next time of asking, whereas Reading replaced their own manager with "a Scout" --but it wasn't McDermott who found himself in the crosshairs as WSF placed the blame squarely where it belonged:
Well done Mr Madejski, Nigel Howe and Gimp Hammond!!

One had to know then that this would not end well.

colours to the mast NOW saw the 'Nobber's continental of choice, LUX, put the question squarely upon the midday of Tuesday 26th January, with a league match away to Sheffield United on tap for that evening; to wit:
Will we stay up? Yes or no?

Let the merriment ensue as only HNA? can bring it!

HOW ARE WE GONNA GET OUT OF THIS SH*T-ST8? is how, with his flair for understatement, The Team board mainstay floyd___streete posed it in the immediate wake of a thumping three-nil league defeat suffered that same evening of 28th January away to Bramall Lane. Nothing says "passion" quite like supporters in full throat after an embarrassing defeat, and RFC's position was as parlous as ever in the wake of that ugly pasting. floyd___ himself said it as well as anyone else in his initial post, which he edited six minutes after he originated the thread to read:

With a setup piece of the kind, what more really needed to be said --ahhh, but then this is Hoob Noob Nation of which I speak...

Would it be a tragedy if we went down? is how regular contributor and all-around good guy Archie's Penalty rather wistfully put it to the massive on Thursday 28th January, as the boys stood at their absolute nadir in the wake of that mauling at the hands of Sheffield United at Bramall Lane in midweek. With dear old RFC now on just 23 points won from 26 league matches but also somehow having earned its way into the Fifth Round of the FA Cup, HNA? did not disappoint in tackling A P's philosophical poser nutshelled thus:
I don't want us to go down but I don't think it would be a tragedy if we did. What do you think?

Choose your three to go down came the direct charge from regular contributor and hail-fellow-well-met PEARCEY in the wake of a home victory over Barnsley on Saturday 30th January, and he added a poll after the fact. What it sez on the tin.

play-offs? dared East Stand Ste to wonder on Wednesday 10th February (yours truLOLy's birthday, with this thread being a gift that's kept on giving ever since and indeed to this day) in the wake of two more league wins on the trot over Donny Rovers away on the Saturday and then Plymouth at home in midweek (and I don't know what the boys' league position was in the wake of it, as the link to the HNA? match report thru the main page here is dead --mods/admin please heLOLp!).

It was a question well worth asking at the time and one that remains unresolved (although the answer, of course, is "not likely in the least, but we're waiting for the last dog to die and are in no hurry).

So that's your lot for now. Feel free to bring to general notice any threads of the kind --I'll pop 'em into this post-- and to copy/paste any individual posts that have come to your notice and from which you've wrung particular enjoyment.
Last edited by RoyalChicagoFC on 12 Apr 2010 21:44, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Your Own Words on a Platter: An HNA? AnthoLOLogy

by Mike Hunt » 12 Apr 2010 06:20

As I said before - it is easy to say this now when we look back at it.

But when it was at its worst - I think that each and every RTG has a sinking feeling. I know I did.

And then Big Mac Daddy, the FA Cup Run, and the team really playing for each other happened, and I believe that these 3 things were major factors in the massive run that left the Royals at the top of the Form table. Add with that the super impressive form Kebe hit, and Gylfi's inability not to find the back of the net - it was a complete turn-around, and one that even the most optimistic sod could have imagined.

I know that some of these guys were OTT (WSF, SDR) threads from FS really opened ones eyes and really explained the deep sht we found ourselves in.

I am just so happy that this happened - and made 2009 feel like a bad dream.

Roll on next season!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 12 Apr 2010 07:50

Chi, you have far too much time on your hands! :lol:

My words on this subject all season have been :
Dirk Gently As to relegation - if we're relegated this season I'll happily stand bollcok-naked on the centre-spot at the MadStad before a game and dance on a Reading shirt.

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=92279&st=0&sk=t&sd=a#p2321007

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 12 Apr 2010 08:04

Dirk Gently Chi, you have far too much time on your hands! :lol:

Dirk Gently As to relegation - if we're relegated this season I'll happily stand bollcok-naked on the centre-spot at the MadStad before a game and dance on a Reading shirt.

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=92279&st=0&sk=t&sd=a#p2321007

THANK-YOU Brian! :wink:

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 12 Apr 2010 11:11

Good work, Chi. There's always a lot of negativity if Reading are not doing well, but as soon as Reading starts doing well, the nay-sayers shut up pretty quickly, don't they?

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 12 Apr 2010 11:15

I think my thread (colours to the mast is the best, natch). I said that we'd go down, I admit it. But look who else did..............

ps so happy to be wrong, of course.

pps I am an enigma, a pessimistic RTG.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 12 Apr 2010 12:44

Knee-jerkers, emotional clowns.
Silly tits.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 12 Apr 2010 12:55

Dorset-Knob

THANK-YOU Brian! :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 12 Apr 2010 13:10

A few months ago I said words to the effect of "we're looking like we're doomed" (which we were), "we should get rid of Todger" (which we did), "things look a whole lot better under McD" (which they continue to do).

I also made critical comments about Shane, McA, Kebe and Cummings. All justified at the time.

Conclusion - no regets with any of these comments.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 12 Apr 2010 13:20

RTGs will always win in the end. Hindsight wins every argument.

When things go badly, the STGs can say "I told you so" in which case we can reply "You wish you were wrong though. Stop being a smug oxf*rd."

However, when things go well, we can say "O ye of little faith" or words to that affect and the STGs are delighted for us to have been right.

Of course both sides will be right sometimes. I never got as far as accepting relegation or resigning to it. I was bricking it though.

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 12 Apr 2010 14:34

^ That, the tag-end right there.

I might've done better to be clear on the point that the purpose and spirit here isn't to rub a mistaken prediction in anyone's face --good or bad in the end, a guess is a guess, educated or otherwise-- and of course we can have a spot of fun with them (our own included, although I try to steer clear of making predictions myself because...well, they're guesses, and guessing wrong makes me no more of an imbecile than guessing right makes me a genius; it's pointLOLess IMO, but if others want to make them, well, then I can always tap my upbringing for the enduring lessons about just averting my eyes and keeping my mouth shut about it if I don't like it :idea: ).

Just to come clean --since I don't really dabble in the business of making predictions, although I'll say what I gotta in my own way, and the matchday chat gang will back me up on what I'm about to say-- I never truly believed that relegation was on despite my, er, let's call it "acute concern for the well being of the affairs of Reading Football Club, both those on the pitch and with a eye on its intermediate-term future." Call it faith in the true sense --belief in the absence of evidence, and belief indeed in the face of compelling evidence to the very contrary of what you hold true.

League One is something that I think of as an absolute prison in footballing terms, and there's just no telling when you're going to haul yourself out of it once you land there (yeah, there's Norwich, but then there's also Leeds; in between, there's Charlton --and in any case, no fanx), and so I was properly terrified at the prospect but never really believed that relegation would be our lot. I tried to wrap my mind around it and found that I just couldn't envision away days at Brunton Park, Layer Road, Huish Park and Boundary Park being on the dance card for 2010/11, and as a matter of actual performance that decides these things, I found the effort put forth against Liverpool at home on 2nd January in the Cup to be, while vaguely unsurprising, persuasive and restorative.

The effort subsequently put forth at Anfield eleven days later and the result that it deservedly garnered was convincing, and it's worth noting that things got worse before they got better (which I suppose would've made me a genius or something if I'd been a bit more explicit in my optimism, and in any case I'll say again what I've said in these boards and the matchday chat: that rearrangement of the 9th January Newcastle fixture, perhaps motivated by an overabundance of caution and ultimately not a necessary thing as a practical matter, was an absolute blessing both at the time and ever since).

Nor do I see anything wrong with one or more persons who care very deeply about something over which they have no ultimate control having a right old rant in reaction to things not going well (this is nothing like the process of raising children or going about one's daily work, when at least some control over events accrues and poise is absolutely essential). I remind myself often that many here invest a good deal of their valuable and limited time and money in this --much more than I, of course, and on both counts-- and if it were necessary to do so in order to "earn" an entitlement to have a go in a fansite messageboard (which it isn't), then there can be no doubting that such individuals have done so to the point of overkill.

It's all good AFAIC, so long as somebody doesn't come off as a condescending knowitall jackass in smugly making "facts" of guesses and "correcting" the opinions of others --with that I do take issue, and they've been served up steaming hot for ya right here if you're willing to do a bit of browsing... :lol:

Oh, and I need to add at least one more thread --Relegation Watch, which subsequently got renamed "Play Off watch, edit courtesy of a Mills finger to League 1"

Originated by regular hand Tails on Saturday 6th March --in the very midst of the day's action in the Football League Championship, and the day before our own FA Cup Sixth Round encounter with Villa-- the thread got rolling at a point by which we'd scooted clear of the bottom three positions (our guys had demolished Sheffield Wednesday 5-0 upon the preceding Saturday) but were racking up games in hand on those around, below and above us owing to our extended Cup run and the aforementioned weather-/travel-related postponement of the Newcastle fixture.

And then this...

Au contraire, my good man --not nearly enough ;)

Dirk Gently My words on this subject all season have been :
Back on 17th September, the day after our guys suffered a 0-1 home defeat to Cardiff and were sat 18th in the table on 6 points from 7 games, Dirk Gently
As to relegation - if we're relegated this season I'll happily stand bollcok-naked on the centre-spot at the MadStad before a game and dance on a Reading shirt.

As I say, not nearly enough --cheers for the find on that thread from which you quote yourself; I'll add it to the master list.

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1