Is our academy really shining now?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Is our academy really shining now?

by Millsy » 19 Apr 2010 15:05

I suspect the answers may be very obvious, but I've never been afraid of askng obvious questions to get a discussion going :)

For as long as I remember we fans have been moaning about the lack of talent coming through from our academy despite it always being hailed as a great academy.

But right now we have so many fantastic players suddenly coming out the academy.

Is it because with the time lag of developing these players we happen to be entering the period where we're now finally reaping the rewards?
If so does this mean we can now start expecting a constant turn over?

More importantly, ...

Might we develop a great reputation in the footballing world for taking and developing players?
Will this snowball into getting even better players in and developing even better players in the future?
As a decent championship club will we possibly be even *more* attractive to youngsters than Prem clubs because we'll be more likely to play them (the standard needed to start in the Prem is far higher obviously)?
At a cost of £1million/season (if that's accurate) is it worth the output we're getting?

OR

Is it just that we're kind of forced to play thee guys because Mad won't spend any money and we happen to have a manager who can get the best out of anyone?

The future is quite possibly looking bright.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

Re: Is our academy really shining now?

by ZacNaloen » 19 Apr 2010 15:15

Are there young (i.e not reached full potential yet) affordable and better players on the Market than Karacan, The Sig, Church, Pearce and even Henry?

I'd be very surprised if we could go out and buy players who could replace them like for like with players in the same age range.

Pulling the stats out of my arse here but if for every 10 league 1/lower championship quality player our academy produces we produce one premiership quality player, our academy can probably rate itself amongst the best in the country.

Still Hate Futcher!

by Still Hate Futcher! » 19 Apr 2010 15:23

It certainly looks like the current batch of academy graduates are making all that investment pay off. I just hope we get to keep and further develop the likes of Gylfi, Church and Karacan for a good while yet (before selling them on for a small fortune).

Any ideas who's next likely to make the breakthrough? I've heard a few people mention Obita and McCarthy?

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 19 Apr 2010 15:25

No doubt a little bit of turning to the war chest happened. BUT if those players coming through weren't deemed strong enough to cope with the Championship then they were simply loaned out or never seen again. I think a combination of good fortune that players coming through actually held their ground in the team, and the necessity to utilize these players is probably closer to the truth. A good combination as we can see from the outcome.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 19 Apr 2010 15:29

cant deny that we have 4-5 products who look of championship standard now.1 who looks prem bound for sure
and a whole new set ready to start breaking through, id say yes, its shining like a beacon

Royal_Delight
Location: In Madejski's Mansion counting the fans' season ticket money

by Royal_Delight » 19 Apr 2010 16:26

Still Hate Futcher! It certainly looks like the current batch of academy graduates are making all that investment pay off. I just hope we get to keep and further develop the likes of Gylfi, Church and Karacan for a good while yet (before selling them on for a small fortune).

Any ideas who's next likely to make the breakthrough? I've heard a few people mention Obita and McCarthy?

Bell-Baggie and Taylor may be next in line for a debut. Both promising youngsters and scoring goals for fun in the reserves.Lawson D'Ath and Jacob Walcott may also appear next season. Rave reviews about them from Eamonn Dolan. Looking forward to their debuts during pre-season. :D

Murts-is-Lej

by Murts-is-Lej » 19 Apr 2010 16:31

The list of 1st team graduates makes interesting reading: http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/AcademySquad/0,,10306~1427545,00.html

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 19 Apr 2010 16:40

It makes me laugh that they include shane long as an academy graduate.

We signed him the same year he got his first start.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Is our academy really shining now? Players re

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 19 Apr 2010 16:49

Think the reputation is already cemented.Players chose us over the biggest clubs going. Espcially now English kids feel their chances could be limited by foreign players even at academy level.

Do think we have been lucky this season in that this bunch was protected not played until they were really ready and doubt too many grads will have 1st seasons like Sig and Church.

What I have picks up is that the standard for getting a pro deal is very Very high. No one got one last yr with the idea being that though there were one or two who were ok and could hab got one year deals, that is not good enough and u have to be really good to get a pro deal.

I would say our academy is already Considered one of the best and long may that continue.

Apologies if this post makes no sense at all am posting on an iPhone for first time!!

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 19 Apr 2010 16:57

It's certainly bearing fruit. I'd also highlight that depth of quality we have on the goalkeeping front too. We currently have 3 20-21yr old goalkeeprs getting rave reviews. Hamer was the best 'keeper in League 2 last year, Andersen is currently doing really well at League 1 Bristol Rovers (a Gashead tells me they really want to sign him) and is an U21 international, and McCarthy who is rarely mentioned who is also in League 1 and in the england U21 setup!

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 19 Apr 2010 16:59

Alex Haddow

Looked useful at Division 3 level but never cut it and disappeared quickly into non league via Carlisle I think

Ricky Allaway

Never made an appearance for the first team and was released, played subsequently for Slough and Basingstoke. Now plays at Southern League South & West level

Adam Lockwood

For some reason never given a run out, but did well at Yeovil and now Doncaster where he's still getting games. however he's progressed with the side he's joined snd perhaps Reading were a little too advanced for him at the thiem of his development for him to make any impression.

Darius Henderson/Nathan Tyson/Simon Cox/Jamie Ashdown

Could have made it at Reading if they'd have been willing to bide their time and stay and fight for their place but obviously they all took the option to move down a league to get more experience and they've done well for themselves.

Chris Smith/Andre Fashanu/ Pierre Joseph-Dubois/Curtis Osano

Never quite good enough.

Andre Boucard

Promised a lot, never quite good enough to make it here, dropped a league or two for Peterborough and then dropped again into the Conference (not sure where he is now).

Jonathan Hayes

Looked to be going places but very quickly faded and went onto Leicester and then Cheltenham and now?

Darren Campbell/Peter Castle

Lot of promise, no real delivery. Peter is now in the Southern League with Bashley I think, not sure what happened to Darren

Jamie Young

Good solid keeper, nothing really spectacular and possibly unfortunate with his timing here, now doing OK at Aldershot.

Still here….

Shane Long
Mikkel Anderssen
Alex Pearce
James Henry
Oliver Bozanic
Jem Karacan
Julian Kelly
Gylfi Sigurdsson
Daniel Spence
Simon Church
Alex McCarthy
Scott Davies
Hal Robson-Kanu
Ben Hamer
Nicholas Bignall

Interestinlgy the OS omits Phil Hadland and Sean Allaway.

bracknell_royal15

by bracknell_royal15 » 19 Apr 2010 17:23

Tom Hately, who we released from our academy last year, has established himself as a regular for Motherwell in the scottish prem. At only 20 he could be a player we let go too early? I no the standard of scottish football isn't the best but Motherwell aren't far off qualifying for europe this year, maybe he could of offered us something?

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/players/player.php?id=255

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 19 Apr 2010 17:50

Actually Ashdown was in our first team for the last 7 or 8 games of 03/04 due to Marcus' injury and his own form. He accepted a contract offer from Pompey that summer and has since had opportunities limited.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 19 Apr 2010 17:57

bracknell_royal15 Tom Hately, who we released from our academy last year, has established himself as a regular for Motherwell in the scottish prem. At only 20 he could be a player we let go too early? I no the standard of scottish football isn't the best but Motherwell aren't far off qualifying for europe this year, maybe he could of offered us something?

Are you 15 years old?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 19 Apr 2010 18:02

Barry the bird boggler Andre Boucard

Promised a lot, never quite good enough to make it here, dropped a league or two for Peterborough and then dropped again into the Conference (not sure where he is now).

Kettering Town.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 19 Apr 2010 18:31

And 10 years later Nathen delivers his potential...

bracknell_royal15

by bracknell_royal15 » 19 Apr 2010 18:46

SpaceCruiser
bracknell_royal15 Tom Hately, who we released from our academy last year, has established himself as a regular for Motherwell in the scottish prem. At only 20 he could be a player we let go too early? I no the standard of scottish football isn't the best but Motherwell aren't far off qualifying for europe this year, maybe he could of offered us something?

Are you 15 years old?

no, are you?

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 19 Apr 2010 18:52

*steps in to answer for Spaccer*

Yes, mentally, he is 15 years old or less.

The academy boys are stuck in the st8s atm on tour. Wont be back until next monday minimum, because of the spunk in the sky from the volcano.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 19 Apr 2010 19:20

Just to throw a dampner on things, just how many of our Academy starlets would have got a chance had we got promoted back to the Prem? Also, keeping things in perspective, only The Sig has taken his chance from the Academy this season. Church and Karacan are still very much work in progress as neither can be considered first choice in their positions.

What I would say is that it is starting to look as if SJM is finally getting some sort of return on the not so small investment.

How many of the youngsters previously mentioned commanded a fee on leaving Reading?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 19 Apr 2010 20:22

2 world wars, 1 world cup I suspect the answers may be very obvious, but I've never been afraid of askng obvious questions to get a discussion going :)

For as long as I remember we fans have been moaning about the lack of talent coming through from our academy despite it always being hailed as a great academy.

But right now we have so many fantastic players suddenly coming out the academy.

Is it because with the time lag of developing these players we happen to be entering the period where we're now finally reaping the rewards?

Yes and no.

No, because the answer is not as you suggest but, yes, because it should be obvious.

Give yourself a coconut if you have the right answer which is....................................Steve Coppell used to be our manager, now he isn't.