2010/11 Expectation reality checker

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

Re: 2010/11 Expectation reality checker

by TFF » 15 May 2010 11:33

It's beginning to look like, with the exception of Bertrand, we're going to be playing the same team that walked the league since Xmas steamrollering sides like Wednesday and Peterborough.

Even when we were losing every week we were losing to teams that I could see were eminently beatable. I can't see the standard improving massively over the summer

There's going to be the odd inexplicable performance (Ipswich, Watford) and there'll be the odd surprise package (Leeds?) but, to be honest, if this lot aren't in the top six all season there'll be something wrong.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 15 May 2010 15:16

Agreed, presuming the new LB is as good as expected
and we avoid a catalogue of injuries, if Noel comes back
at his best (or better because his knee is fixed) then sixth
is probably under-achieving.

Having said that Burnley say they have money and are
going for the immediate bounce-back. Not sure about
their manager, but they have a lot of good players

Royal_Delight
Location: In Madejski's Mansion counting the fans' season ticket money

by Royal_Delight » 15 May 2010 16:36

IMO, what we need now is to keep the team together. Unlike others, I find that if the team can't play attractive football and to 'dominate' this league, I rather that we not get promoted. Look at teams like Burnley, they promotion was rather a fluke IMHO. Playing shite football and look where that got them, 1 poor season in the Premier League and coming back down again.

The step up to the Premier League is a tough one and few can survive there for 1-2 years.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 15 May 2010 16:54

We did it before so why not again.

No one ever wanted excessive spending, went down not becuase of a lack of investment, but becuase we didn't spend the money avaliable and when we did spent badly.

I think JM wuld want sell as soon as we went up, he doesn't have the money anymore.

Don't think many clubs will be spending big, be a well run club shuld raise expectations rather than lower them IMO.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 15 May 2010 18:35

I do hope when Noel Hunt comes back that he won't of lost the skills he had before his injury. Is he a 20 goal a season man? I have my doubts to be honest.

I do believe a squad always needs freshening up in the summer, the signing of Williams (as well as hopefully Hunt's return), plus one or two more should do that.

I think a test will be when the side has a bad run of form. McDermott's managerial skills will be tested as i doubt we'll have a win at Anfield to be a catalyst for us again. This could be more of a case when teams are happy to come for a point or have worked us out, the challenge then is to break these teams down and perhaps win ugly.

under the tin

by under the tin » 16 May 2010 08:33

That Friday Feeling It's beginning to look like, with the exception of Bertrand, we're going to be playing the same team that walked the league since Xmas steamrollering sides like Wednesday and Peterborough.

Even when we were losing every week we were losing to teams that I could see were eminently beatable. I can't see the standard improving massively over the summer

There's going to be the odd inexplicable performance (Ipswich, Watford) and there'll be the odd surprise package (Leeds?) but, to be honest, if this lot aren't in the top six all season there'll be something wrong.

Fully agree with this view, particularly with regard to the general standard of the other sides in the league.
I believe you will find that it will be teams who can "grind out results" that will occupy the places near the top end of the table.

Providing we can secure a decent right back (Griffin please), then I have few worries about our solidity in defence, and defensive midfield.
Whether we are challenging up at the top hinges on, IMHO, our flair players reproducing the form we have seen from them in the second half of last season, and our front men. Noel has a had a very long lay off, and I think it might be a big ask to expect the bloke to hit the ground running.
Church will get better with more games, I expect Rasziak to go, so it puts a biggish responsibility on Long's shoulders. An injury or loss of form could prove damaging, but I expect BMcD has already got a new striker in his sights. We shall see.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 16 May 2010 09:30

A decent striker away from the play-offs in my opinion.

Mid-table with out current strikers

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 16 May 2010 09:35

I'm expecting a play-off final win against Bristol City. :wink:

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 16 May 2010 09:47

Super Kevin Bremner! For me you've got the banter, the piss ups, the pies, the something to do on a Saturday afternoon, the Hobnobbing, the footie rumours and gossip, the arguments about who's shit and who's not, the little bit of magic when your winger skins his full back, the LOLz when the same winger goes arse over tit trying to look like Pele, the ever increasing amount of teenage birds at games, train journeys back from Crewe etc etc etc.

^ This. What he said.

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 16 May 2010 11:08

Gordons Cumming I'm expecting a play-off final win against Bristol City. :wink:

Would Love it :P

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 16 May 2010 12:33

Really don't know what to expect, but I do agree with those that say we're lacking a striker. I really hope NHunt is that man (as Forster was after a long layoff) but others like Butler have shown us you don't always return to your best.

Honestly don't know quite what to predict yet, but really looking forward to August :D

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 16 May 2010 13:31

Do those who say they will be happy with mid table realise what that means? It means a frustrating, aimless season of the sort recently experienced by QPR, Derby, Ipswich ... It will necessarily include a lot of defeats.

I want to see Reading competing among the top 8. Given our recent results against Ipswich and Watford, I don't see us as top two contenders (our brilliant run was maybe too good to expect again). I think we need a decent first-choice striker, because Long and Church, whatever statistics say, just can't be relied on to do the business game after game. (I wouldn't want to pin too much hope on Noel, considering his injury record.)

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 16 May 2010 15:07

under the tin
That Friday Feeling It's beginning to look like, with the exception of Bertrand, we're going to be playing the same team that walked the league since Xmas steamrollering sides like Wednesday and Peterborough.

Fully agree with this view, particularly with regard to the general standard of the other sides in the league.
I believe you will find that it will be teams who can "grind out results" that will occupy the places near the top end of the table.

Providing we can secure a decent right back (Griffin please), then I have few worries about our solidity in defence, and defensive midfield.
Whether we are challenging up at the top hinges on, IMHO, our flair players reproducing the form we have seen from them in the second half of last season, and our front men. Noel has a had a very long lay off, and I think it might be a big ask to expect the bloke to hit the ground running.
Church will get better with more games, I expect Rasziak to go, so it puts a biggish responsibility on Long's shoulders. An injury or loss of form could prove damaging, but I expect BMcD has already got a new striker in his sights. We shall see.
Massively massively important. Flair players are, for the most part, inconsistent. The ones who aren't play for top Premiership sides. McAnuff had a reputation for it at previous clubs. Kebe. Siggy was consistent most of the season so lets hope he can reproduce. Our 05/06 team was so good because of the brilliant form of Little and Convey, previously inconsistent players. A decent defence and a hard working honest bunch of lads is the base. A striker who can put away chances is important in turning you into a top half side. Flair players, on form who can give him all the chances is the key difference between the best and the rest. If McAnuff, Siggy, Kebe and to an extent Howard keep their recent form going for the entire season next year I expect us to be top 6 minimum. I have my doubts....

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 16 May 2010 15:11

No reason why we should have to settle for mid-table, as far as I can see theres not anyone who can run away with the title, like WBA or the Toon. We finished as the 3rd best form team behind the two just mentioned. Keep everyone and Noel Hunts fit and imho I think top 4.
None of the teams coming down pose a threat IMO because of finances, not sure about Burnley but they will need to rebuild and also Laws is not doing great there.

so top 4 for me.

Ryn

by Ryn » 16 May 2010 16:25

The quality of the Championship next season is going to be pretty poor. Mid table obscurity for us next year is going to mean some pretty dire football in all honesty; we will have to have a massive downturn in form to end up in 10th place next year.

I think playoffs are a realistic ambition for us.

Cookie

by Cookie » 16 May 2010 18:30

Super Kevin Bremner!
For me you've got the banter, the piss ups, the pies, the something to do on a Saturday afternoon, the Hobnobbing, the footie rumours and gossip, the arguments about who's shit and who's not, the little bit of magic when your winger skins his full back, the LOLz when the same winger goes arse over tit trying to look like Pele, the ever increasing amount of teenage birds at games, train journeys back from Crewe etc etc etc......

I know but I want more than that - er actually no, you have the pies and I'll have the Premier League! :)

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 16 May 2010 22:55

A couple of defenders and a striker away from play-off contention I feel.

The odds on the Continued implosion of Portsmouth as they struggle with even the restructured debt repayment and Hull following the same way is going to make for a weak division.

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 17 May 2010 01:04

RFC fans have a gem in their club, whether or not they are in the PL. Keep the finances in order, keep the squad competitive, and keep Y25 singing. That is gold.