Royals no closer to Griffin capture, Khiz not coming back

140 posts
Royal_Delight
Location: In Madejski's Mansion counting the fans' season ticket money

Royals no closer to Griffin capture, Khiz not coming back

by Royal_Delight » 04 Jun 2010 10:08

Griffin was a massive hit with Royals' fans during a successful loan spell from January until the end of the season.

But while the 31-year-old says he would seriously consider a permanent transfer to the Madejski Stadium, he accepts there are a number of hurdles to overcome, not least a substantial fee as he has two years left on his Potters contract.

The biggest stumbling block appears to be the welfare of his young family who have followed him around the country during spells with Newcastle United and Portsmouth but are now settled in Barlaston near Stoke.

Griffin said: "The family is in Stoke, the children go to school around the corner, so I don't want to uproot the family.

"I'd have to look at Reading. The location is not perfect, but if that one was to progress further then it's something I would have to take into consideration.

"The bottom line for me is that I want to play football and I've got to say I enjoyed doing that again while I was at Reading."

Griffin had not played a first-team game in almost a year when he first came to Reading in January. The experienced full-back admitted regular football, especially in a winning side, gave him a 'new lease of life,' while his work with the young players in Reading's dressing room also struck a chord with the club's management staff.

"Reading manager Brian McDermott has said he would like me back and has let that be known," added Griffin.

"He knows me as a character and what kind of player I am, but we will have to wait and see what happens on that one.

"I'm not going to just dismiss an offer from them, but I'm not sure what will happen over the summer. I'll stay by the telephone and wait and see."

Royals are thought to have made Griffin an attractive offer and McDermott is not expecting an immediate answer.

However, he wants all his summer signings on board before they embark on pre-season tour to Slovenia on July 12.

If the Griffin move falls through, Royals do have alternative options in Julian Kelly and Shaun Cummings while Brynjar Gunnarsson and Jay Tabb have also played there.

However, McDermott clearly sees Griffin as his number one choice: "That's still ongoing, we're still talking and we're locked in negotiations," he explained.

"I would love him to come to us and we will have to see what happens. But Andy knows my feelings and so do Stoke.

"There are a lot of factors to consider not least his young family. He has a lot of things to weigh up but he knows where I stand. He'll make his own decision but at the moment he's a Stoke player and there are a lot of things to sort out."

Meanwhile, McDermott confirmed former Blackburn loan defender Zurab Khizanishvili will not return to Reading.

"He's back at Blackburn and I don't expect to see him with us again," he stated. "It's sad because he was an excellent player for Reading while he was here."

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport ... n-capture/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Puts a huge dent in the defense IMO. Without Khiz, we'll have to rely on Pearce or Ivar and without Griffin, there is only Cummings, Kelly and Bryn. ( I would say Tabb, but he failed in that position)

Not enough funds to buy players?
Last edited by Royal_Delight on 04 Jun 2010 11:07, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Royals no closer to Griffin capture, Khiz not coming back

by Thomas L'Heureux » 04 Jun 2010 10:16

Royal_Delight Meanwhile, McDermott confirmed former Blackburn loan defender Zurab Khizanishvili will not return to Reading.

"He's back at Blackburn and I don't expect to see him with us again," he stated. "It's sad because he was an excellent player for Reading while he was here."

Could we not just loan Khizanishvili for the season or is it not that simple? He wants to come here, Blackburn probably want to save on his (or part of his) wages, so if the only stumbling block is a transfer fee then we should look into this option because he was an excellent players for us but wouldn't get near the Blackburn first team.

W&E Royal

by W&E Royal » 04 Jun 2010 10:21

Just because we can't sign Griffin doesn't mean we won't sign someone else. If we can't get him we'll get someone else, there will be loads of players out there that don't cost the earth.

Royal_Delight

by Royal_Delight » 04 Jun 2010 10:23

W&E Royal Just because we can't sign Griffin doesn't mean we won't sign someone else. If we can't get him we'll get someone else, there will be loads of players out there that don't cost the earth.

But it's just a bit sad don't ya think? He was a great player and I personally would love to see him come back.

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 04 Jun 2010 10:26

We should just sign Kyle Walker/Naughton on loan for a season. I believe they're fast attacking right backs, and both spent time on loan in the Championship last season at Sheff U/Middlesbrough respectively.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 04 Jun 2010 10:37

This "story" was in the media about 2/3 weeks ago with exactly the same quotes so it's hardly "news"

Griffin would be the most important sigining of the three we had on loan IMO, but if Potters want us to buy him for more than 100k then I think that's the end of that.

Guess it comes down to how much we want him and what other movements out happen over the summer.

If it fails to happen then perhaps Heston can work his magic with Cummings, after all if you can get Kebe to look like a player then anything's possible....

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 04 Jun 2010 10:38

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 26 Jun 2010 01:58, edited 1 time in total.

Royal_Delight

by Royal_Delight » 04 Jun 2010 10:50

Thaumagurist* R_D, you really should say where you're quoting that from, otherwise you're making yourself look lame for trying to make out you wrote that stuff.

BTW, amazing that the Griffin quotes got recycled.

Well, I got it here : http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport ... n-capture/

Sorry to make myself look lame. :roll:

Sorry to be ignorant but isn't the Chronicle one of the more reliable sites tgt with the Reading Post?

Royal_Delight

by Royal_Delight » 04 Jun 2010 10:52

NR_Royal We should just sign Kyle Walker/Naughton on loan for a season. I believe they're fast attacking right backs, and both spent time on loan in the Championship last season at Sheff U/Middlesbrough respectively.

Or Nat Clyne from Palace as they are currently selling players. Scored a cracker against us last season too.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Jun 2010 10:55

Royal_Delight
Thaumagurist* R_D, you really should say where you're quoting that from, otherwise you're making yourself look lame for trying to make out you wrote that stuff.

BTW, amazing that the Griffin quotes got recycled.

Well, I got it here : http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport ... n-capture/

Sorry to make myself look lame. :roll:

Sorry to be ignorant but isn't the Chronicle one of the more reliable sites tgt with the Reading Post?

think it was the fact that it wasnt in quotes, or the source quoted

but thats just spacey being a pedant

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 04 Jun 2010 10:56

It's also illegal not to source it, just saying.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 04 Jun 2010 11:57

The Ep and Chronicle are hardly 'reliable', rare they report anything not either well trailed elsewhere or quoted directly from the club.

The Griffin deal has obvioulsy not moved, and probably no reason to expect it would for a while.

I bet we'll keep monitoring Zurab and will go back in again later, they'll be wanting him shifted and if they don;t get the 6 figure sum quoted they will drop their asking price.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 04 Jun 2010 12:27

Today's EP says we're fighting Cardiff for Griff's signature and that we will not be pro-active in the deal but wait to see what develops and react accordingly. We certainly have committed our interest to the "silver ghost" and are still hopeful.

So I guess the club want to see everyone's cards on the table before making their next move....

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 04 Jun 2010 12:33

ZacNaloen It's also illegal not to source it, just saying.

Call the cops.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 04 Jun 2010 12:37

Murty is without a club at the moment.......... :wink: :wink:

HTH

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 04 Jun 2010 13:20

Barry the bird boggler Today's EP says we're fighting Cardiff for Griff's signature and that we will not be pro-active in the deal but wait to see what develops and react accordingly. We certainly have committed our interest to the "silver ghost" and are still hopeful.

So I guess the club want to see everyone's cards on the table before making their next move....

Indeed...

Royals fight Cardiff City for Andy Griffin

Reading FC are still confident of landing Andy Griffin despite interest from Championship rivals Cardiff City.

Dave Jones’s beaten play-off finalists have the financial edge on Royals, who have been trying to sign the Stoke City right-back since he ended his successful spell on loan at the club last month.

Although Reading are unwilling to pay a fee, director of football Nick Hammond could offer the promise of a cash windfall if Griffin helped the club win promotion next season.

Arsenal youngster Francis Coquelin has also been linked with a loan move to Madejski Stadium, but Royals boss Brian McDermott is looking for experienced heads to complement his squad.

And assistant manager Nigel Gibbs, who is Watford’s record appearance holder with 475 games at right-back, told getreading that everything is being done to wrap up the Griffin deal.

Gibbs said: “We’ve always got lists of different players we’re interested in. But we have thrown our hat into the ring with Andy Griffin and it’s no secret how much we want him.

“We will react to the situation regarding him for now rather than being pro-active. Andy was a great signing when we brought him on loan in January. He was one of the most reliable players we had.

“His positional awareness was fantastic and I remember when I went to see him play for Stoke reserves writing exactly that in my notes.

“Brian’s knowledge of players from his scouting days is second to none. You’re never 100-per-cent sure about any signing until they come to the club.

“But we had a lot of good references on Andy from other people. He is a total professional and his experience was vital for the group.”

Reading still have right-back Shaun Cummings, who was was signed for £300,000 by former Royals boss Brendan Rodgers.

But Cummings has fallen out of favour since joining from Chelsea on transfer deadline day last summer.

The 21-year-old is still regarded as being some way off first-team standard and Royals played midfielders Jay Tabb and Brynjar Gunnarsson ahead of him last season.

Gibbs, however, maintains that Cummings still has a future at the club.

He added: “Shaun Cummings will be in the squad fighting for his place as will Julian Kelly.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dave Jones’s beaten play-off finalists have the financial edge on Royals :shock:

Surely that can't be true!
Last edited by ScottishRoyal on 04 Jun 2010 13:21, edited 1 time in total.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 04 Jun 2010 13:21

well if griffin has a choice of reading of cardiff helps us out a bit

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 04 Jun 2010 13:28

ScottishRoyal
Dave Jones’s beaten play-off finalists have the financial edge on Royals, who have been trying to sign the Stoke City right-back since he ended his successful spell on loan at the club last month.

Although Reading are unwilling to pay a fee,

Dave Jones’s beaten play-off finalists have the financial edge on Royals :shock:

Surely that can't be true!

I assume the "financial edge" bit comes from the fact Cardiff would be willing to pay a fee up front for him.

A bid of £1 is still better than a free transfer....

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 04 Jun 2010 13:33

By the sounds of things he just wants to play! The stumbling block will be a fee and whether his family will want to relocate. Not an easy decision but he knows whats best.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 04 Jun 2010 13:36

I think the club are trying to see how little they can get away with paying to secure Griffin to then know how much is left in the pot to work out how much to spend on Khiz.

140 posts