Davies and Mooney told to find new Clubs

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

Davies and Mooney told to find new Clubs

by rg6royal » 14 Jul 2010 10:33

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... reading_fc

I can understand about Mooney being told to leave as he has hardly been part of anything at the club since arriving.

However, Davies being told to leave is an absolute joke.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Davies and Mooney told to find new Clubs

by brendywendy » 14 Jul 2010 10:35

i just dont see thatt- its a shame, hes a real favourite of mine, and a good player, but with our midfield options, and gylfi playing so well in davies position, he has to go to further his career

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 14 Jul 2010 10:36

If Gylfi gets injured...Davies is the ideal replacement in the attacking-midfielder role.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 Jul 2010 10:37

To be fair I think McD has that spot on, in fact it's just what I posted yesterday or the day before.

For his own good, much like Tyson and Cox before him, he probably needs to move on to find a club where he'll play games and make a proper role in a team (that's not the same as just being somewhere on loan really).

It's a shame that it doesn't look like he can do that here, but we can't play everyone and he's not as good as the other midfielders. I think it's good that McD is honest and seems to have what is good for the player in mind as well as just keeping him around for the sake of it.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 14 Jul 2010 10:37

McDermott obviously didn't rate Davies as much as Rodgers did. Mooney should of been given a chance.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 14 Jul 2010 10:39

We can't play everyone, these players (expecially Davies who still has some potential to fulfil) need first team football to further their careers.

It's a shame it can't happen here, but there just isn't enough room in the squad, especially in midfield.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 Jul 2010 10:40

rg6royal If Gylfi gets injured...Davies is the ideal replacement in the attacking-midfielder role.

He's a different type of player though, and although he makes some storming runs he just gives the ball away too much.

In fact he's the exact opposite of Sigurdsson in that respect because we can get the ball to him and he'll look after it, beat a player or two and then do something contructive with it. Davies doesn't do that and it makes it more difficult for the likes of Kebe and McAnuff to join in the attacks if they break down too quickly.

I do think it's a shame though, but ultimately I don't think he's quite good enough (yet).

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 14 Jul 2010 10:42

Why does everyone r8 Davies so highly? He's done nothing for Reading and if he was going to break into the first team squad then he'd have done it by now.

I still think he can have a good league career etc but there's no point him hanging around Reading now.

Mooney, I think we all know won't take us to the next level. So good luck to him too.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 Jul 2010 10:43

LoyalRoyalFan McDermott obviously didn't rate Davies as much as Rodgers did. Mooney should of been given a chance.

Rodgers didn't really play him either though.

He gave him a chance, which he didn't really take, and then sent him out on loan. McD saw that and doesn't need to repeat it if he hasn't seen enough improvement or doesn't see his style of play fitting in to his plans.
Last edited by Hoop Blah on 14 Jul 2010 10:43, edited 1 time in total.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 14 Jul 2010 10:43

Hoop Blah
rg6royal If Gylfi gets injured...Davies is the ideal replacement in the attacking-midfielder role.

He's a different type of player though, and although he makes some storming runs he just gives the ball away too much.

Davies was always more like Gerrard than Gylfi is in that sense. :lol:

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 14 Jul 2010 10:57

Won't miss either of them will we? Good luck to them both.

Surprised Henry's not on the same list tbh.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 14 Jul 2010 10:59

Agree about Henry, just has not advanced as we would have wished. All could do a good job at Div 1 level.

Isaac Hunt

by Isaac Hunt » 14 Jul 2010 11:12

Makes perfect sense. We managed to cope well enough without either of them contributing this year. If it helps the wage bill and could allow the development of another youngster / allows us to bring in someone in now or January, then so be it.

Shame to see an academy player leave when he's shown the odd glimpse of something good, but doubt Davies will have a problem finding a club. Excellent League 2 player, decent League 1 player.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 14 Jul 2010 11:22

The production line of youngters graduating into the 1st team can't grind to a halt because of someone, who hasn't quite done it at the level we're at, blocking the way. Otherwise it all, well, grinds to a halt, and eventually the youngsters will start finding other clubs before they are ready to graduate.

Can't argue with the manager's judgement but still, it's a shame, I liked the look of him.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 14 Jul 2010 11:26

Yeah, I like Davies too but we have to trust Brian on this, especially with money being so tight. Priorities lay elsewhere - in defence, mostly.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 14 Jul 2010 11:37

Maguire Why does everyone r8 Davies so highly? He's done nothing for Reading and if he was going to break into the first team squad then he'd have done it by now.

I still think he can have a good league career etc but there's no point him hanging around Reading now.

Mooney, I think we all know won't take us to the next level. So good luck to him too.

It's hard to be remembered for doing anything in a Reading shirt when he's hardly ever been in one.

Last pre-season, he and Robson-Kanu were the only two consistent players, with Davies both scoring and assisting in volume. He started the league season in the first team, was man of the match on the opening day against 'Forest, and was unlucky not to score with a couple of his efforts (should've claimed an assist when he fired the ball across goal but the (at the time) hapless Kebe couldn't divert it in from a couple of yards out.

I don't think Davies was dropped from the team due to ability, but more the fact that Rogers was not getting results and was therefore constantly changing both our formation and personnel due to his cluelessness and desperation.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Jul 2010 11:55

Right decision. Mooney and Davies are quite clearly league 1 standard. Had chances to set world alight and not happened. If it ain't happenning for them here now it will never happen. Good luck to the both of them.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 14 Jul 2010 11:55

Thomas L'Heureux It's hard to be remembered for doing anything in a Reading shirt when he's hardly ever been in one

And do you not think there's a reason for that?

Davies did okay against Forest but then went totally missing away at Newcastle (tough fixture, admittedly), subbed at half-time against Swansea and never did anything again.

He's industrious and can hit a ball etc but I don't think his general touch and awareness is good enough for our level at this moment in time. He's like Sidwell-lite.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Jul 2010 11:55

Maguire Why does everyone r8 Davies so highly? He's done nothing for Reading and if he was going to break into the first team squad then he'd have done it by now.

spot on

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 14 Jul 2010 12:10

Maguire
Thomas L'Heureux It's hard to be remembered for doing anything in a Reading shirt when he's hardly ever been in one

And do you not think there's a reason for that?

Davies did okay against Forest but then went totally missing away at Newcastle (tough fixture, admittedly), subbed at half-time against Swansea and never did anything again.

He's industrious and can hit a ball etc but I don't think his general touch and awareness is good enough for our level at this moment in time. He's like Sidwell-lite.

I am sorry to see Davies go - but truthfully you are about right. He is industrious and will do well up to League 1 level - he may in time be Championship standard but if we are looking to be PL contenders he is unlikely to add enough at that level, so having thought about it - I think it is probably best all round if he establishes himself elsewhere.

Good luck to him and Mooney. Charlton are desperate for players so Mooney must have a chance of a permanent move there. I would think Davies would be welcome at Aldershot or Wycombe if he cannot find a League 1 club.