A HISTORY OF PRE-SEASON FRIENDLIES

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

A HISTORY OF PRE-SEASON FRIENDLIES

by handbags_harris » 24 Jul 2010 21:43

Bit of a geek thread alert :roll:

Many Nobbers are aware of the face that I have a continuing spreadsheet detailing all of the first team matches that I have attended and up until now I haven't had a pre-season friendly page. Spending a quiet Saturday night attempting to detail the pre-season friendlies I've attended, I'm struggling to find any detail of pre-season fixtures, particularly the earlier ones I attended (ie 1992 onwards). Anyone able to recall any friendlies they attended and the scorers? Any help appreciated.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: A HISTORY OF PRE-SEASON FRIENDLIES

by floyd__streete » 24 Jul 2010 21:48

It's all about Reading 2-4 Dnepr Dnepropetrovsk, summer of 1991. Two nil up then ultimately rinsed by the proverbial crack eastern european outfit from behind the iron curtain. The game that launched a user name. Strasvitcha!

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 24 Jul 2010 21:53

Reading 0-3 Steaua Bucharest. Rinsed by the proverbial crack eastern european outfit from this side of the iron curtain. Ceauşescu's remains have recently been exhumed, the bum-raped carcass of the Reading team buried that evening is beyond saving.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 24 Jul 2010 22:00

Reading 1-0 Real Sociedad. Tapas-eating Toshack-managed dagos are rinsed by the proverbial crack south east of England outfit. Daley Thompson plays 20 minutes and is voted best Gold Medal winning RFC player since Herbert Smith.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Jul 2010 22:43

floyd__streete Reading 0-3 Steaua Bucharest. Rinsed by the proverbial crack eastern european outfit from this side of the iron curtain. Ceauşescu's remains have recently been exhumed, the bum-raped carcass of the Reading team buried that evening is beyond saving.

1995? Shaka starts in goal, Sheppard takes over for the second half, but is replaced by Williams before the end of the game... Remember them being dirty bastards, but it was a while back and only my second ever game.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 24 Jul 2010 22:45

Sheffield Wednesday. Last game at Elm Park. Won 1-0. dug up the pitch and dismantled the goal posts.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 24 Jul 2010 22:52

Leatherhead 0 Reading 1. D Thompson. 1995?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 24 Jul 2010 22:57

Reading 1-7 Melchester Rovers. Reading surprisingly lead early on through a Phil Stant toe-poke, but Racey's rocket levels it for Rovers and the player-manager scores further goals either side of half time and a Duncan McKay header. Geoff Giles and Mervyn Wallace add further strikes before a Blackie Gray penalty rounds off an emphatic win for the crack First Division outfit.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 25 Jul 2010 01:49

floyd__streete Reading 0-3 Steaua Bucharest. Rinsed by the proverbial crack eastern european outfit from this side of the iron curtain. Ceauşescu's remains have recently been exhumed, the bum-raped carcass of the Reading team buried that evening is beyond saving.

That was mid-season, innit :?:

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 25 Jul 2010 07:09

Bracknell Town 0-3 Reading in 1984, first appearance of Micheal Gilkes

Camberley 1-2 Reading in about 1996

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 25 Jul 2010 09:27

Aldershot Town 1 Reading 0 July 1968

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 25 Jul 2010 09:35

Maguire

25 July 1995.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 25 Jul 2010 09:37

handbags_harris Bit of a geek thread alert :roll:

Many Nobbers are aware of the face that I have a continuing spreadsheet detailing all of the first team matches that I have attended and up until now I haven't had a pre-season friendly page. Spending a quiet Saturday night attempting to detail the pre-season friendlies I've attended, I'm struggling to find any detail of pre-season fixtures, particularly the earlier ones I attended (ie 1992 onwards). Anyone able to recall any friendlies they attended and the scorers? Any help appreciated.

I don't have much from 1992 to about 1996 in the way of PSF details, but have kept quite a few reports from 1997 onwards. What games are you particularly interested in? BTW, there are some reports on HNA from past years.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 25 Jul 2010 09:58

... very very vague memory of a pre-season jaunt to Lancaster Close (?) Thatcham - just before their move to Waterside so was probably pre-92 - was some fellah's testimonial - can't yet be @rsed to dig out any progs from that era to check - may have been around the time we had that grotty 'landscaped' Yellow covered one?

... might have been 2-0/3-0 to us - was a Hot Air Balloon Funfair games etc

... only other pre-MadStad one I can recall attending was early 70s A vs Ramsgate - though this might have been pure daydream - I'm sure 'The Biscuitmen' toddled down to the seaside as part of a deal following the offload of Swain and Flannigan to 'The Rams'?

... and wasn't there a pre-season at EP when we played Spuds and/or Wet Sham and then the @rse in quick succession - needless to say the latter ripped holes in us but think we performed Ok in the other(s).

... retreats silently back to 'General Football' :oops:

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 25 Jul 2010 10:17

strap
Maguire

25 July 1995.

That'd be a no then 0 could have sworn we had some random Friday night friendly in the middle of the season once.

Maybe that was the Spurs game. Dunno - have the teamsheet at home though.

We played West Ham in about 95ish I think and lost 2-0. I remember Robbie Slater (?) scoring in front of the Town End. Kicked off massively in town afterwards.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 25 Jul 2010 10:57

2-2 v Newcastle Utd 1999. It was shit, free entry and still wasn't value for money. 2 hrs stuck in the car park and I vowed never to go to a pre season friendly again.

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 25 Jul 2010 11:21

From Despair To Where? 2-2 v Newcastle Utd 1999. It was shit, free entry and still wasn't value for money. 2 hrs stuck in the car park and I vowed never to go to a pre season friendly again.

You broken this vow?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 25 Jul 2010 12:16

Maguire
That'd be a no then 0 could have sworn we had some random Friday night friendly in the middle of the season once.

My vague memory is of an Italian team, as the season was winding down.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 25 Jul 2010 12:53

Was there a pre season competition called the group cup in the early 1980's?

Remember Kerry Dixon scoring a hat-trick at Aldershot

Twix

by Twix » 25 Jul 2010 14:37

I remember going to a pre-season friendly against Bournemouth in the mid-nineties, the only reason I remember the game was due to it being the smallest crowd I've been a part of. I think there was less than 500 people there and a lot of us sat down on the terraces (I was young so may be exaggerating how few were there).

The score might have been 1-1, I know this post isn't that useful but it might jog somebody else's memory.