Fans Forum

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Fans Forum

by Geekins » 31 Jul 2013 16:24

Players all say the same thing don't they.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 31 Jul 2013 16:25

Alexander Litvinenko
Royal Lady But surely some reps from the club are in attendance and Adkins or whoever doesn't speak more freely really? He must be told in advance by the club what he can and can't say? Or at the very least, knowing there are club representatives there, he's not going to say 100% what he might like to say. Not saying he has any gripes at this stage in his RFC career, but you know what I mean, shirley?

I've read twitter reports of him being very open and anyone who thinks we're not trying to sign someone is very wrong, or words to that effect. But talk is cheap and it's actions I'm more interested in - we'll see at end of transfer window whether we've made the right choices/purchases I suppose....

That's not the way it worked in the past. Steve Coppell, for instance, was incredibly open at Fans' Forums. I remember once a forum when he waited 'til SJM had left, took his jacket off sat back and said "Right, now we can talk...."

And whilst I think there might be a club official hovering in the background to see what's said, they're in no way involved in the event - it's very much a STAR event and one of the few times that NA will say things without a minder.

There's an element of trust, of course, and the assumption that "all these people are supporters of the club so won't blab because that might damage the club".

It might be hard to believe for someone who's never been to one - but it's genuinely like that.

I went to a few in the late 90s and they were nothing like that.

I think some people just get off on the idea that what they're being told is exclusive and only for their ears, when really it's just the same story, albeit with less PR spin, than the club usually churn out.

Like going to a reserve game, there's also the inescapable feeling (added to by looking round the room at the fellow attendees, or worse still chatting to them) that you've taken your hobby into the uncomfortable realm of the obsessive. You've become an anorak.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 31 Jul 2013 16:41

Green I went to a few in the late 90s

STAR didn't exist until 2002.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 31 Jul 2013 16:42

A happier, simpler time.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 31 Jul 2013 17:01

Alexander Litvinenko

No but the supporters club did before then...

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 31 Jul 2013 17:24

Barry the bird boggler
Alexander Litvinenko

No but the supporters club did before then...

Quite a different beast, with quite a different MO and set of values.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 31 Jul 2013 17:49

Supporters' Club was all for the supporter you mean? :wink:

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 31 Jul 2013 18:13

I am about half way through a 2,500 blog that explains the exact difference - when I can get my arse in gear enough to finish it that'll cover it. But don't hold your breath.....

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 31 Jul 2013 19:18

Alexander Litvinenko
PieEater These rules seem to have changed a few years ago as there were pretty detailed reports from these forums before that, albeit after someone got around to tying up the Q&As.

I think players' forums are different (they hardly ever say anything interesting or debatable!), but certainly managers' forums have been published - but later, when the info isn't as "live" and with anything particularly secretive or contentious removed.

Any chance the managers' forums could be published several months down the line? They were always good to read. Some time ago now I remember coming across one with Coppell in the summer before the '106' season and he was talking about the future more than he would have realised at the time...

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 01 Aug 2013 12:45

KC Royal
Alexander Litvinenko
PieEater These rules seem to have changed a few years ago as there were pretty detailed reports from these forums before that, albeit after someone got around to tying up the Q&As.

I think players' forums are different (they hardly ever say anything interesting or debatable!), but certainly managers' forums have been published - but later, when the info isn't as "live" and with anything particularly secretive or contentious removed.

Any chance the managers' forums could be published several months down the line? They were always good to read. Some time ago now I remember coming across one with Coppell in the summer before the '106' season and he was talking about the future more than he would have realised at the time...

Members get to read the notes in the next Reading Matter but that will not be for a month or two.

I think the main difference in the FF occurred with the change in personnel at the club as it is only the last few years that RFC have had any representative there with the manager. AP and SC and BR all came to them alone. Even then STAR wanted the FF to be a benefit of membership so was less open than the Supporters Club had been. I was always aware that it is difficult for some members to benefit and we have looked several times at ways to allow exiles to benefit without an easy solution so it has to be wait for the notes to be published in Reading Matter.

Royals Mad

by Royals Mad » 02 Aug 2013 16:33

If only you had a email list you could use after the notes are written up

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 03 Aug 2013 11:17

Yeh one feels there must be a way. Telegram perhaps?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 03 Aug 2013 14:58

Carrier Pigeons?

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 03 Aug 2013 23:15

Yahoo! Groups, or ICQ chat

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 07 Aug 2013 05:51

'greed

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 18 Aug 2013 07:57

Might as well post this here but for anyone interested we had a chat with STAR's vice-chairman on The Tilehurst End Podcast last week, who tried to address some of the criticisms and questions raised here and in other threads.

The interview is around the 42 minute mark and lasts for around 8-9 minutes, though if you want to get to the HNA related bit, just go to 45.40ish.

http://www.thetilehurstend.com/2013/8/1 ... ikers-star

If you've got any other questions you'd like us to try and put to STAR in future then by all means email us at thetilehurstend@gmail.com or tweet us @thetilehurstend or if you really can't be bothered to open another window, PM me.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 26 Sep 2013 12:54

TBF I thought he gave a good account of STAR and was pleased to hear they are planning to start using hobnob again.

Slight chuckle at this:
STAR: We'd love people to get on the board
Wimb: How often are your elections, when's the next one?
STAR: (slight pause) So, the elections are closed for this season

But fair play every members/old boys club is much the same in this regard - you'd have nothing to talk about at the AGM otherwise! Anyone interested need only wait until next season, then begin an annual campaign for election involving a nomination and two seconders (all from within the organisation) then they could be on the board for the start of the 2015/2016 season. Simples.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 26 Sep 2013 19:52

Green TBF I thought he gave a good account of STAR and was pleased to hear they are planning to start using hobnob again.

Slight chuckle at this:
STAR: We'd love people to get on the board
Wimb: How often are your elections, when's the next one?
STAR: (slight pause) So, the elections are closed for this season

But fair play every members/old boys club is much the same in this regard - you'd have nothing to talk about at the AGM otherwise! Anyone interested need only wait until next season, then begin an annual campaign for election involving a nomination and two seconders (all from within the organisation) then they could be on the board for the start of the 2015/2016 season. Simples.

I thought you needed 10 people who are members of STAR to approve your application...

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 27 Sep 2013 08:17

Try your STAR agm thread, you quoted the answer in your first post.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 27 Sep 2013 17:28

Oh yeah

Would you like to help support the running of STAR as a Board Member?
STAR would welcome members putting themselves forward for election to the Board of Supporters’ Trust At Reading at its next Annual General Meeting in September 2013. In order to stand for election you need to be a fully paid up member of STAR and be aged 18 or over. You must be proposed and seconded by two other fully paid up STAR members and have the support of a further two fully paid up STAR members who are willing to back your candidacy

May as well have been 10 tbh! :oops: