Old RFC Calendars full of pics

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

Old RFC Calendars full of pics

by STAR Liaison » 09 Jan 2015 19:15

We have a collection of 12 RFC calendars from between 1998-2011 full of glossy pics of the greats and others which we'd like someone else to have now, please.

Make us an offer. "I'll take them off your hands for nothing" could well be an acceptable and winning offer. Bidder to pick them up from STAR Base by 14th Feb (beats flowers from a garage forecourt!).

Email bids to media@star-reading.org please.

This message also appears in the Classified section of HNA.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Old RFC Calendars full of pics

by Forbury Lion » 12 Jan 2015 12:34

Why do you want to get rid of them?

Personally, I feel it's important for a Supporters Trust to help preserve the history of the club and one way of doing that is to keep an archive of things like this, plus video footage including season review DVD's.

Might I suggest asking Reading Museum if they are interested - They did have a worthy collection of Biscuitmen merchandise/historical items on display there the last time I visited. Maybe they can archive these away for 50 years if they are not currently old enough to warrant a place in the display cabinet.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 18 Jan 2015 15:42

Forbury Lion Why do you want to get rid of them?

Personally, I feel it's important for a Supporters Trust to help preserve the history of the club and one way of doing that is to keep an archive of things like this, plus video footage including season review DVD's.

Might I suggest asking Reading Museum if they are interested - They did have a worthy collection of Biscuitmen merchandise/historical items on display there the last time I visited. Maybe they can archive these away for 50 years if they are not currently old enough to warrant a place in the display cabinet.

Fair point, I will ask.

In our defence we kept two boxes of scrapbooks from the same source even though we've nowhere official to store this stuff. And the calendars are pretty tawdry stuff. But you're right, in 50 years time there might be someone who wants to know how different A Smith looked from N Smith.

Timmy

by Timmy » 19 Jan 2015 21:56

Forbury Lion Why do you want to get rid of them?

Erm, I'm guessing because the Supporters Trust doesn't have the space to keep all the tat the club generates these days. Not only the club, but every other chancer that's producing Reading FC "genuine" ephemera/memorabilia. If you think some tatty old calendars from 2000 are part of the clubs history then offer to house them yourself.

Personally, I think they're pretty much skip fodder, just like the programmes and all the other mass produced shite they churn out these days.

You're deluding yourself if you think that Reading Museum would be interested. The Reading memorabilia collection was a one off exhibition. It didn't include any mass produced year 2000+ calendars either.

The football club are even less interested in history, although to be fair, certain individuals have managed to change that a bit as is evident from the displays in the players bars and the corridors.

The Reading FC Society of Collectors and Historians (a Society open to all interested in the club's history btw, and with the help of STAR) are pretty much the only people that are interested in preserving historical stuff. If you feel so strongly about historical stuff, then get involved.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 20 Jan 2015 17:41

Good post

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 04 Feb 2015 16:38

Green Good post

Yeah.

Meanwhile ...

The bidding has yet to reach 0p.

Just ten days to go.

Whole new meaning to the phrase 'silent auction'.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 17 Feb 2015 09:12

Last chance today.

The skip yawns.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1