North Stand smoking policy

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

North Stand smoking policy

by Huntley & Palmer » 14 Aug 2006 10:10

STAR, I'd like you to answer the questions if possible or forward them onto the club for consideration.

Had the opportunity to test the new no smoking policy in the North Stand at the friendly on Saturday. Spoke to one of the entrance staff on Gate 6, he knew nothing about the rules surrounding the new policy. He suggested checking with one of the tango stewards inside. Spoke to two of them, they had no idea on the rules surrounding the policy.

At half time I managed to find one of the older, more experienced yellow stewards. He explained that both Gate 5 & 6 will allow people out to smoke. Fine, no problem. When asked about taking alcohol out there he was slightly more vague, allowed us to do it on the day but was not sure if this would apply for the whole season.

This was a question I raised with the club directly when the new policy was put forward, still never had any response.

Interestingly enough, the older steward stressed the importance of not being any more than 5 minutes over the start of half time or we would be locked out. I noticed that there was only one man on the gate, having to manually open the turnstile for re-entry.

Seeing as the North was less than half full and there were at least 100 people outside having a cigarette I can foresee many problems on Saturday when the full compliment of smokers are in attendance. Will an announcement be made by the stewards warning people that the turnstile will close in the next X minutes? How will they cope with hundreds of people trying to squeeze through two turnstiles?

I fear the club have made a huge cock up here and will leave many a person disgruntled early into the season in the North Stand. Any comments appreciated

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 14 Aug 2006 10:20

Should have stayed in the East! :lol: :wink:

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 14 Aug 2006 10:45

Your input is not required, the East Stand is shit anyway :wink:

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 14 Aug 2006 10:52

Huntley & Palmer Your input is not required, the East Stand is shit anyway :wink:

What made you move from the East?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 14 Aug 2006 10:58

They banned smoking there :shock:

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 14 Aug 2006 11:00

bobby1413
Huntley & Palmer Your input is not required, the East Stand is shit anyway :wink:

I didn't enjoy watching the football where I was, it was cheaper in the North and you could still smoke in the concourse

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

Re: North Stand smoking policy

by STAR Liaison » 14 Aug 2006 13:28

Huntley & Palmer STAR, I'd like you to answer the questions if possible or forward them onto the club for consideration.

Not something we can answer but will pass on your concerns for response before the Middleboro game I hope :roll:

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 14 Aug 2006 14:17

I am not surprised that the club have let it go this far without confirming anything

STAR Voice

by STAR Voice » 14 Aug 2006 18:32

Huntley & Palmer STAR, I'd like you to answer the questions if possible or forward them When asked about taking alcohol out there he was slightly more vague, allowed us to do it on the day but was not sure if this would apply for the whole season.

This was a question I raised with the club directly when the new policy was put forward, still never had any response.

ISTR we got an answer for this a while ago - I was sure it had been posted but if not then apologies. The answer is we were given is "no". The club's premises licence only covers the area inside the stadium, the outside is not licenced, so they are not able to allow alcohol outside. The area outside the East stand is licenced, a that is an enclosed area (in the same way that a pub garden is).

Huntley & Palmer Seeing as the North was less than half full and there were at least 100 people outside having a cigarette I can foresee many problems on Saturday when the full compliment of smokers are in attendance. Will an announcement be made by the stewards warning people that the turnstile will close in the next X minutes? How will they cope with hundreds of people trying to squeeze through two turnstiles?

I fear the club have made a huge cock up here and will leave many a person disgruntled early into the season in the North Stand. Any comments appreciated

I will raise this, but everyone is snowed under at the moment (by press queries alone) so can't proise a quick answer. In a lot of ways this is experimental, so everyone will be watching what happens and how it works over the season, and we need to know of problems.

Royal Monk

by Royal Monk » 14 Aug 2006 19:13

Smoking is a disgusting habit and you should give it up ..... problem solved :D

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 14 Aug 2006 19:31

easy answer would be to fence off the outside of the North stand same as in the East.

I do not smoke but there is no way that the club should alienate those that do.

though seems fair to have the West no smoking totally so long as warning is given.

I would also make the home side of the South non smoking and then fence off an area outside the away bit so they can puff away, might actually save on stwarding costs at the end of the game as those lines of yellow might not be needed so often.

STAR Voice

by STAR Voice » 14 Aug 2006 21:30

Don't forget that it is almost certain that in the next couple of years smoking in a public place will be banned, similar to Scotland and Ireland.

The club are anticipating this move, becuase they have had countless complaints about the amount of smoke in concourses.

I can't see the outside of the North stand ever being cordoned off, becaue it's not got a fence along the length of the stand, as the East stand has.

Let's be honest, the easiest (and cheapest) thing for the club to do is to ban smoking altogether. They would say that making provision for people to smoke outside at half time is more than they actually need to do.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 15 Aug 2006 06:50

things will change when they extend anyway,

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 15 Aug 2006 09:18

STAR Campaigns ISTR we got an answer for this a while ago - I was sure it had been posted but if not then apologies. The answer is we were given is "no". The club's premises licence only covers the area inside the stadium, the outside is not licenced, so they are not able to allow alcohol outside. The area outside the East stand is licenced, a that is an enclosed area (in the same way that a pub garden is).I will raise this, but everyone is snowed under at the moment (by press queries alone) so can't proise a quick answer. In a lot of ways this is experimental, so everyone will be watching what happens and how it works over the season, and we need to know of problems.

So the club broke the government licensing laws on Saturday, nice. I don't think any of the staff have a real idea as to the exact requirements of this new procedure. I expect mayhem and a lot of very aggresive people expecting to take their beers outside on Saturday, I will report back on what happens. If they do not put more than two people on each turnstile then God knows what will happen

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 15 Aug 2006 12:48

Yeah, I can see that riot taking off well, there'll be a 5 yard dash/stampede then everyone will be doubled over coughing and wheezing.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 15 Aug 2006 13:37

I'd best get in training

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 16 Aug 2006 02:27

Huntley & Palmer
bobby1413

I didn't enjoy watching the football where I was, it was cheaper in the North and you could still smoke in the concourse

i have a fire extinguisher at the ready....horrible selfish habbit.....i avoid the concourse because of selfish smokers

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 16 Aug 2006 02:28

Royal Monk Smoking is a disgusting habit and you should give it up ..... problem solved :D

i agree...its selfish too esp in a confined space.......which is why i dont go into the concourse at half time

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 16 Aug 2006 13:53

Confined space, it's not like the concourses are that small. Blame the club for not bothering to put ventilation in

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 16 Aug 2006 13:58

I think everyone would agree with that - if they built the stadium now the concourses would be very, very different.

Much more space, far more catering outlets, higher ceilings (where possible) etc.

We suffer from the MadStad being a (relatively) early design of new generation stadium - since then the recommendations for space etc in concourses have moved on considerably.

For instance, Wembley will have masses of concourse space - when complete!