Incident after the game at Manchester

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

Incident after the game at Manchester

by STAR Liaison » 18 Feb 2007 11:16

STAR are asking for witnesses of the incident when one of our members on coach 5 was manhandled by a policeman as he got to the buses. We have several already but welcome more especially anyone who has a photo on their camera phone as we understand that someone did capture the event.

PM me or STAR TRAVEL or send details to info@star-reading.org travel@star-reading.org.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 18 Feb 2007 12:13

Bloody trouble makers that STAR lot :wink:

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 18 Feb 2007 12:51

Did you hear the police before the game saying STAR must get everyone on the coaches and away immediately afterwards or they must leave without them :?

cheeryoleary

by cheeryoleary » 18 Feb 2007 13:03

Do you know why the coaches didn't take the M4/A34 or M4/A404 to get to the M40 and decided to head through Reading town centre, Caversham, then the back roads to oxf*rd ?

Was there an accident somewhere?

Legend

Re: Incident after the game at Manchester

by Legend » 18 Feb 2007 13:13

starliaison STAR are asking for witnesses of the incident when one of our members on coach 5 was manhandled by a policeman as he got to the buses. We have several already but welcome more especially anyone who has a photo on their camera phone as we understand that someone did capture the event.

PM me or STAR TRAVEL or send details to info@star-reading.org travel@star-reading.org.

Give them a 3 year ban. :roll:

STAR TRAVEL

by STAR TRAVEL » 18 Feb 2007 14:16

cheeryoleary Do you know why the coaches didn't take the M4/A34 or M4/A404 to get to the M40 and decided to head through Reading town centre, Caversham, then the back roads to oxf*rd ?

We have answered this many times before.
This is a tried and tested route that we use on many occasions, M4 A34 is an alternative. On many occasions we have been grateful that we have not been on the A34 when it has been completely closed by an accident as happened last season.

Mrs Butler
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Mrs Butler » 18 Feb 2007 14:29

M4 Junction 11 Did you hear the police before the game saying STAR must get everyone on the coaches and away immediately afterwards or they must leave without them :?

we had that at Everton.. disgraceful IMO

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 18 Feb 2007 14:40

Mrs Butler
M4 Junction 11 Did you hear the police before the game saying STAR must get everyone on the coaches and away immediately afterwards or they must leave without them :?

we had that at Everton.. disgraceful IMO

The police need to take a long hard look at themselves.

cheeryoleary

by cheeryoleary » 18 Feb 2007 14:58

STAR TRAVEL
cheeryoleary Do you know why the coaches didn't take the M4/A34 or M4/A404 to get to the M40 and decided to head through Reading town centre, Caversham, then the back roads to oxf*rd ?

This is a tried and tested route that we use on many occasions, M4 A34 is an alternative. On many occasions we have been grateful that we have not been on the A34 when it has been completely closed by an accident as happened last season.

I do apologise. I don't know this, and neither did a few others on the coach. Mind you, this was my first time on the coach, so I'll know better for next time. I thought it odd as one would have expected that the coach company might listen to traffic reports before setting off, or perhaps have some sort of traffic master system in one of the coaches. I know that when I head north to Cumbria, the first thing I do is listen out for accidents and plan which route to take.

STAR TRAVEL

by STAR TRAVEL » 18 Feb 2007 15:33

cheeryoleary
STAR TRAVEL

I do apologise. I don't know this, and neither did a few others on the coach. Mind you, this was my first time on the coach, so I'll know better for next time. I thought it odd as one would have expected that the coach company might listen to traffic reports before setting off, or perhaps have some sort of traffic master system in one of the coaches. I know that when I head north to Cumbria, the first thing I do is listen out for accidents and plan which route to take.

Horseman's are a professional coach company who do use Traffic Master and listen to traffic reports. Our regular drivers, even up to the time of departure, double check all reports. Our regular drivers are very conscientious people whom we trust, they are also Reading fans and are highly regarded by STAR. :D

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 20 Feb 2007 15:06

Having been half an hour late for an appointment in Oxford today because of the contra flow at Chilton I can only say it was quicker when I came back the Horseman way!

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 20 Feb 2007 16:07

any chance we could get the DVD working on each of the coaches next time :roll:

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 20 Feb 2007 18:12

starliaison

Having been half an hour late for an appointment in Oxford today because of the contra flow at Chilton I can only say it was quicker when I came back the Horseman way!

With long term road works on the A34 and A404, it probably wasn't a bad choice.

RIP ELM Park

by RIP ELM Park » 20 Feb 2007 19:47

cheeryoleary
STAR TRAVEL

From the stadium traffic master always routes via the route the coaches took, if you can achieve the maximum speed limit on each route, the Horseman way is quicker, I make the journey up to Birmingham 3-4 times a week and always use this route. If both routes are traffic free it is the quicker of the two.

royalflush

by royalflush » 21 Feb 2007 08:35

Would anyone be kind enough a bit more detail about this route? I travel to Brum from Reading about once a month so this could be a nice little time saver :wink:

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 21 Feb 2007 08:55

probably for peoples own good, i expect there would of been a mob of about 200 barmies/men in black looking for some Reading fans :wink:

Symposium

by Symposium » 21 Feb 2007 12:54

royalflush Would anyone be kind enough a bit more detail about this route? I travel to Brum from Reading about once a month so this could be a nice little time saver :wink:

There are a number of ways you can get up to the M40... I used to travel to/from Yorkshire twice a week, so got to know all of the routes well so that my journey had a bit of variety!

• Peppard Road through Emmer Green, Nettlebed, Watlington, then join the M40.
  • A4074 from Caversham until it joins up with the A34 at Oxford, then carry on to the M40.
  • A4074 from Caversham until Warborough (just after Benson), head through Stadhampton towards Thame, then join the M40.

And there are a few more than that too. I would normally do the second option if it's late at night (i.e. no traffic), or the third if it's going to be busy around Oxford.

66DD

by 66DD » 21 Feb 2007 13:46

Symposium
royalflush Would anyone be kind enough a bit more detail about this route? I travel to Brum from Reading about once a month so this could be a nice little time saver :wink:

There are a number of ways you can get up to the M40... I used to travel to/from Yorkshire twice a week, so got to know all of the routes well so that my journey had a bit of variety!

• Peppard Road through Emmer Green, Nettlebed, Watlington, then join the M40.
  • A4074 from Caversham until it joins up with the A34 at Oxford, then carry on to the M40.
  • A4074 from Caversham until Warborough (just after Benson), head through Stadhampton towards Thame, then join the M40.

And there are a few more than that too. I would normally do the second option if it's late at night (i.e. no traffic), or the third if it's going to be busy around Oxford.

I regularly use your first route although, if travelling in the morning in order to avoid the traffic bottleneck in the centre of Watlington, I tend to turn off and go through Christmas Common and then join the A40 down the hill to the M40.

STAR Voice

by STAR Voice » 21 Feb 2007 13:49

I don't want to appear churlish, but Horsemans will continue to use the route that they prefer without any advice fromposters on HNA.

Now this thread has turned into "what's the best route to Oxford" I'm locking it - please feel free to continue geographical discussions in Anything Else.

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1