NO TO TO GAM£ 39

STAR Voice

NO TO TO GAM£ 39

by STAR Voice » 08 Feb 2008 14:05

STAR, together with a multitude of other supporters' organisations, has pledged our full support to the FSF's "NO to GAM£ 39" campaign, launched today.

Further details are at : http://www.fsf.org.uk/news/news0095no-to-game-39.html

The text of this is below - at the bottom of the page you'll see what you can right now to support this campaign.

The Premier League have gone too far with their proposals to invent an extra fixture to be played abroad – and the time for football fans to stand up and be counted has arrived.

Under the banner of the NO TO GAM£ 39 campaign The Football Supporters’ Federation’s will co-ordinate strong, swift and decisive action, at both national and local levels, which will leave those seemingly intent on our destroying our national game in no doubt that we’ve had enough.

The fight back starts here – it’s time for us to reclaim the game from those intent on pimping it out to boost their already burgeoning bank balances.

The Premier League’s proposals to play games abroad has outraged supporters at every level, because the last thing the game in England & Wales needs is an even bigger wealth gap between the Premier League elite and the rest.

And, yet again, they’ve displayed a complete disregard for the interests of those without whom there would be no show – the fans themselves.

The FSF are planning local action at every Premiership club, inviting supporters of all teams to unite under the banner NO TO GAM£ 39. They’ve gone too far this time – and the time to do the right thing is right now.

Here are a couple of things that you, as a football fan, can do right now:

Write to, e-mail or phone your club chairman, and send a copy to the Premier League (30 Gloucester Place, London, W1U 8PL) and the Football Association (25 Soho Square London W1D 4FA) telling them what you think of the proposals.
Let the FSF know what you’d be prepared to do to protest against these plans, what ideas you have for a supporters' protest and what you can do to help. Email: notogame39@fsf.org.uk.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

Re: NO TO TO GAM£ 39

by The 17 Bus » 08 Feb 2008 15:06

Writing to major sponsors could also have an effect, dont bank with barclays, dont drive ford. and many other major advertisers on Sky.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 08 Feb 2008 15:08

The 17 Bus Writing to major sponsors could also have an effect, dont bank with barclays, dont drive ford. and many other major advertisers on Sky.

Those things are likely to be coming.

cheeryoleary

by cheeryoleary » 08 Feb 2008 15:48

I've e-mailed the press secretary asking for a statement on the official site.
Let me know if you need any placard waving idiots on the A33 / Outside Kyocera

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 08 Feb 2008 18:46

cheeryoleary I've e-mailed the press secretary asking for a statement on the official site.

:lol:

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 08 Feb 2008 20:35

Royal Lady
cheeryoleary I've e-mailed the press secretary asking for a statement on the official site.

:lol:

already there

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Feb 2008 00:55

Reading v Wigan in Saudi

or

Bolton v Fulham in New York

will hardly set the world on fire

......................and as for the world ending "carbon footprint busting" travel that will become necessary ro transport our Premier luvvies across the world..................i dispair

Worse still, we get relegated by goal difference because we lost 13-4 against Arsenal in Sofia

there is only one motivation for this hilarious (wind-up) idea..........£££££££££££

shove it where the FA never dare go

Symposium

by Symposium » 10 Feb 2008 10:15

Sebastian I think it's a terrible, terible idea - but the idea of a weekend's shopping in New York accompanied by Reading vs AN Other certainly is tempting!

Hm... now there's an idea! How about part of the deal being that the clubs have to fund flights, accommodation and tickets for their season ticket holders, up to a certain percentage of the capacity of the hosting stadium? The STHs could be selected by random from the clubs' databases. Never going to happen, but it would make the pill slightly less bitter, and slightly easier to swallow. :wink:

cheeryoleary

by cheeryoleary » 10 Feb 2008 10:42

Simon Heggie Thanks for the email. We don’t have any official statement as such to make on these proposals, but our Chief Executive, Nigel Howe, made reference to it on a piece on the website yesterday.

Please see the following link:

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/pa ... 56,00.html

Regards,

Simon Heggie

Press Officer

Reading Football Club

Tel: +44 118 968 1052
Mob: +44 7974 407034
email: sheggie@readingfc.co.uk

66DD

by 66DD » 10 Feb 2008 14:12

The clubs are unlikely to listen unless some kind of affirmative action is taken. Boycotting Premier League sponsors' products is a start. Also boycotting clubs sponsors' products and club official merchandise should be considered (including refusal to buy programmes and lottery tickets etc.). Boycotting the products of those companies that advertise at premier clubs' grounds. Boycotting the products of companies that advertise on television and radio stations during coverage of premier league football. If necessary, picketing of premier league and club offices and retail outlets should be considered as a further step; and home fans picketing home turnstiles on match days with a view to persuading other home supporters not to enter should not be discounted.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 11 Feb 2008 10:23

Today's Guardian covers just this subject : http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2255590,00.html

STAR Voice

by STAR Voice » 11 Feb 2008 19:35

The Regional Open Meeting to discuss this will be held next Monday - 18th February - at the Friends House, 173 Euston Road.

See this link for more information : http://www.fsf.org.uk/game39/no-to-game-39-meetings.html

For exiles, links to the 4 other meetings next week are also given.

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 11 Feb 2008 19:41

The 17 Bus Writing to major sponsors could also have an effect, dont bank with barclays, dont drive ford. and many other major advertisers on Sky.

Oh dear, and there's RZR with his new avatar just having ordered his new Fiesta.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 11 Feb 2008 21:51

Y21_Royal

Oh dear, and there's RZR with his new avatar just having ordered his new Fiesta.

From a bloke wearing a "Destination Football" fleece.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Row Z Royal » 11 Feb 2008 21:52

Football's plan to play away is a real own goal
Chris Blackhurst

At a party last week, I was challenged by an academic as to whether it was possible to devise a successful business model which was not based on growth. In the end, several glasses of wine and canapes later, we agreed there always had to be some expansion but there didn't need to be a lot. It's avarice that makes them so big it ruins them.

In my car, on Thursday, this conversation came back to me as I was listening to the reports on the radio of the Premier League's plan to play matches overseas. There were the Premier League bosses, all smooth and insistent. There were the journalists who, for the most part, had swallowed the line it was a logical extension of the franchise, and then there were the paying punters, sorry, the fans, who were outraged.

For the life of me I can't credit what the Premier League is playing at. They really are in danger of killing the fatted calf. It's nonsense to say, as they did, that it was possible some clubs would make such a move without the Premier League's blessing. Who would they play? Who cares, because it wouldn't be a league fixture?

It was also palpable rubbish to cite the example of the National Football League. The Americans want to broaden the appeal of their sport, which remains entirely confined to their shores. It rankles with them that they think they've got a world sport and the rest of the world doesn't want to know. It's not money they're after by playing matches at Wembley, but fans.

Soccer already has the fans, so its plan is all about money. The Premier League chiefs are extremely blinkered and very stupid: history is littered with examples of businesses that put profit before service, return ahead of the consumer. They stagger on for a while and then they die.

But this lot believe they can reverse what is the business equivalent of the law of gravity. Richard Scudamore, the chief executive, says the idea is a chance for fans to combine travel and sport, as the Barmy Army does with the England cricket team. "We have to make sure fans want to go there and they are affordable," he said, of the foreign matches.

This is barmy, to borrow the word: he's blurring his market with another, one that has its own users and traditions; he's making it more difficult for his customers to enjoy his product. He wants to be taken seriously as a businessman but I suggest he consults Sir Terry Leahy or Sir Stuart Rose to find out what running a business really entails.

They would tell him that you mess with your brand at your peril, that it should stand for your values. In the Premier League's case they are simplicity, fairness and competitiveness. Start rigging those so that teams no longer play straight home and away against everyone else and you might as well pack up.

By all means, explore methods of strengthening those values. If you admire the US so much, why not consider a US-style draft system so all clubs get a chance of choosing the best players? That, of course, is unlikely to happen because it's not in the interests of the bigger, wealthier clubs. It's not something they need, so they won't sanction it.

The Premier League says it wants to export its product before Italy and Spain beat it to it. Even if the Italians and Spaniards were seriously considering such a scheme, which I doubt, that doesn't make it any more sensible.

It's a strange business, one that doesn't follow the maxim of putting the customer first. Correction, it's not strange but failed

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 12 Feb 2008 17:13

or we all buy 100 Fords each and Ford will think the car is so popular they don't need to waste money advertising it.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Row Z Royal » 12 Feb 2008 18:24

Forbury Lion
or we all buy 100 Fords each and Ford will think the car is so popular they don't need to waste money advertising it.

99 to go for me.

DavidM62

by DavidM62 » 12 Feb 2008 22:04

Guys,

Its really easy. Just get everyone to cancel their Sky subscriptions. That is the root of all evil in the Premier League.

Just pick up the phone and watch MOTD instead.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Row Z Royal » 13 Feb 2008 13:26

DavidM62 Guys,

Its really easy. Just get everyone to cancel their Sky subscriptions. That is the root of all evil in the Premier League.

Just pick up the phone and watch MOTD instead.

You were doing so well...

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 18 Feb 2008 10:13

I've still only had 2 replies to the email that was sent on my behalf after signing the petition. How rude of these clubs not to acknowledge receipt of it. :evil: