Tim Dellors Commentary

194 posts
Nudger

Re: Tim Dellors Commentary

by Nudger » 11 Jul 2012 11:54

BrockManson I like his voice, and his commentary is pretty decent as far as local radio stations go.

His punditry/journalistic 'prowess' however are dreadful. I loved his article about how McDermott is absolutely 100% dead on guaranteed to leave for Wolves, even though it was never going to happen in a million years. Dellor comes across an alright guy, he just knows absolutely sod all about football.

thats what Mick Gooding is there for

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 11 Jul 2012 15:06

Don't mess with the Dellor, he's entertaining and that's all that matters.... :o :?

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 26 Jul 2012 17:31

Tim is ok, Dellor senior is a total helm though.

".......and now off to Exeter where London are playing the Irish at Rugby......"

biscuitman

by biscuitman » 30 Jul 2012 21:43

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 19 Aug 2012 04:26

I'm in the anti-Dellor camp, though not massively so. I don't rate him as a pundit - I find his snidey sounding voice a bit annoying and I don't think he describes the details of what is going on on the pitch thoroughly enough - but I can tolerate him and won't be shouting for change. It is local radio, I don't expect too much and am just glad we have some commentary.

Royal Dee

by Royal Dee » 19 Sep 2012 22:59

Tim dellor is unique unlike so many other football commentators that repeat the same old cliches and sayings throughout the season, dellor adds new dimension to football punditry

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 20 Sep 2012 11:08

Tim also gets to cover other games for Radio5 so he must be doing something right somewhere.

biscuitman

by biscuitman » 20 Sep 2012 19:33

Tim also gets to cover other games for Radio5 so he must be doing something right somewhere.

So does Steve Claridge.

royalsroyalsroyals92

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 24 Sep 2012 00:20

Cannot stand his absolute love of Harte, and his seeming inability to realise that just because he was alright last year, means he's premier league quality! I made it 2 or 3 mistakes at least against spurs from Harte (and i only caught the last half hour), yet dellor things he did no wrong!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 26 Sep 2012 20:16

Probably because Harte is the only player Tim had heard of before he signed for Reading.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 30 Sep 2012 13:25

His lack of ability to have a discussion with callers is what irks me the most. Last night someone rang in saying Gorkss, McAnuff and someone else (maybe Leigertwood) should be dropped, tried to explain why and Dellor just said "no, you're absolutely wrong" before cutting him off. Admittedly the points were a little crazy but the manner in which he dealt with the caller was bordering on insulting.

Same a couple of weeks back when someone called up about Federici making mistakes - Dellor simply wouldn't have it that Federici had ever made a mistake in his Reading career and was in a sulk for about 10 minutes that the caller even had the temerity to suggest it. Again, the caller was dropped without a semblance of a discussion of the topic, just Dellor being right and the caller being wrong.

Credit to Ady in this who at least tries to understand the caller's point of view and takes a neutral standpoint in all this. He's got a lot better since he started out a couple years ago.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 04 Oct 2012 10:31

chilipepper91 His lack of ability to have a discussion with callers is what irks me the most. Last night someone rang in saying Gorkss, McAnuff and someone else (maybe Leigertwood) should be dropped, tried to explain why and Dellor just said "no, you're absolutely wrong" before cutting him off. Admittedly the points were a little crazy but the manner in which he dealt with the caller was bordering on insulting.

Same a couple of weeks back when someone called up about Federici making mistakes - Dellor simply wouldn't have it that Federici had ever made a mistake in his Reading career and was in a sulk for about 10 minutes that the caller even had the temerity to suggest it. Again, the caller was dropped without a semblance of a discussion of the topic, just Dellor being right and the caller being wrong.

Credit to Ady in this who at least tries to understand the caller's point of view and takes a neutral standpoint in all this. He's got a lot better since he started out a couple years ago.

first point- the bloke was being a bell end- after a game where all three had played well, and come away being robbed of 2 points by newcastle, couldnt back up his points, when dellor said so you didnt think mcanuff was brilliant today, the bloke said yeah, but id still drop him, he isnt good enough. he got a fair crack of the whip, spoke for a while, and imo deserved cutting off about 5 minutes earlier.adie, and gooding both said he was talking utter nonsense

the federici one- bloke said federici made ten awful mistakes last season, and couldnt name 1. also fair enough imo

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 04 Oct 2012 11:00

The point is someone who is performing his role needs to be be impartial (not about the club he supports but about the players in it.) He is employed to a be a communicator telling people what happened - not to broadcast his own opinions and to shout down people who disagree with them. It's unprofessional in the extreme that he has favourite players and presents his views and opinions to show them in a good light. Put more simply, he's not an authoritative source - his authority gets diluted by the weight of his opinions.

Secondly, the amount of stuff about football that he doesn't know - but insists he does, is excruciatingly embarrassing at times. So often he'll go off on a rant about something until he's corrected by Mick Gooding and then the whole subject is quietly dropped. A perfect example not so long ago was when he went off on one about the Fourth Official not allowing enough time, and he was adamant that it was the Fourth Official who decided how much time should be added on and then told the referee of his decision. He ranted for a good few minutes, Mick G corrected him, there was a muttered apology and then it wasn't mentioned again. This sort of thing is quite common, and very hard to listen to.

Not only do I think commentators need to authoritative sources, I think they need to know their stuff. Or, at least, if they don't know their stuff then to realise that they don't and don't use the airwaves to broadcast the depth of their ignorance.

Anyone who wants opinions, ignorance, conjecture and prejudices only has to talk to any other supporter - I want the key public service broadcaster to offer something a bit better than a fan with a microphone stuck in front of them. And in my book an excess of enthusiasm does not make up for a lack of expertise.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Oct 2012 18:36

...and (in the nicest possible way) some folk couldn't give a flying f11ck what you think

Some folk actually quite enjoy his gurns and gaffs (and the ensuing nagging from his co-host "experts")................if you don't like it, you can always seek out the alternatives....lol.

And besides, weren't you were a fine one to speak about "shouting down opinions" (Wembley National Anthem????) :lol:

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 04 Oct 2012 20:05

Alexander Litvinenko The point is someone who is performing his role needs to be be impartial (not about the club he supports but about the players in it.)

Its a READING (and area) Radio Station What do you expect?? :roll:

I for one would feel mightily peeved if he wasn't so biased.

I would expect BBC Radio Geordie commentators to be biased towards them?

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 04 Oct 2012 22:33

AthleticoSpizz ...and (in the nicest possible way) some folk couldn't give a flying f11ck what you think

Some folk actually quite enjoy his gurns and gaffs (and the ensuing nagging from his co-host "experts")................if you don't like it, you can always seek out the alternatives....lol.

Fair enough, that's the point of a message board like this - people expressing their opinions and there are bound to be different ones. Quite different from one person having control of the fader.....

AthleticoSpizz And besides, weren't you were a fine one to speak about "shouting down opinions" (Wembley National Anthem????) :lol:

Don't remember the incident, so do remind me ... but in any case, see above. How is it possible to shout someone down on a message board whgere everyone has equal access and equal ability to post?

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 04 Oct 2012 22:36

SHORT AND CURLY
Alexander Litvinenko The point is someone who is performing his role needs to be be impartial (not about the club he supports but about the players in it.)

Its a READING (and area) Radio Station What do you expect?? :roll:

I for one would feel mightily peeved if he wasn't so biased.

I would expect BBC Radio Geordie commentators to be biased towards them?

Errrrm ... that's exactly why I took the trouble to write out the bit in brackets. I expect a local radio commentator to be biased in favour of the local team - that's par for the course. What I don't like is the massive bias towards certain players, to the obvious detriment of other players.

Please, do let me know what you don't understand about the phrase inside the brackets?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Oct 2012 20:24

Alexander Litvinenko
AthleticoSpizz And besides, weren't you were a fine one to speak about "shouting down opinions" (Wembley National Anthem????) :lol:

Don't remember the incident, so do remind me ... but in any case, see above. How is it possible to shout someone down on a message board whgere everyone has equal access and equal ability to post?
oops.....you are now going to tell me that you aren't Svlad cello (or whatever it is) and I have made a bit of a twat of myself....I guess :oops:

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 20 Oct 2012 15:29

On one hand he moans we're giving the ball away and then he moans that Guthrie hold on to it for too long.

Royal Dee

by Royal Dee » 20 Oct 2012 21:38

peterroyal76 On one hand he moans we're giving the ball away and then he moans that Guthrie hold on to it for too long.

we can be doing both... what you want is fluid play where we retain the ball as a team i.e passing, not one player hanging around with the ball like guthrue was doing.

194 posts