Everyone's favourite tabloid journo confirmed for 23 Feb

302 posts
shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 23 Feb 2007 23:09

Arch
soggy biscuit Journalist 1-0 internet RFC fans
Whys is a national journalist in a contest with a bunch of football fans from one particular club int he first place? We're fanatics about Reading Football Club, and happy to spend hours debating every nuance. What's his excuse?

Very good point.

This evening, Oliver Holt got more of the publicity that he so clearly craves but it's all pretty hollow and I've said in another thread I doubt he goes to sleep at night feeling that proud of his endeavours. Well done to the STAR chap for giving it a go. Jon is passionate about RFC and that came across. Oliver Holt is a bandwagon jumper who probably cares deeply about very little.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 24 Feb 2007 01:32

a little disapointed with the fayre laid on for the banquet of Mr Holt tonight.

He came across as a "one trick pony" without any explanations nor technical reasoning for his anti-Reading comments.

I hold my hands up and apologise for my previous posts bigging O Holt for coming on and explaining himself.
Hoping that there may be a tiny bit of empathy for the bloke..............I heard nothing other than an unswaying predetermined negative opinion of us that can never be justified....
...... and could never be embraced by any football fan who has watched Reading this season..

Good effort Tim Dellor tho'

Thanks for letting us hear his whining voice, thus confirming his printed ignorance in the Daily Mirror (National Newspaper)

Boomer

by Boomer » 24 Feb 2007 03:38

I was expecting Tim Dellor to really roast him but he never got going.
Why was so little made of the comments regarding Hunt's challenge and the fact that his and Mourinho's inflammatory remarks led to death threats against our men.

Why did he not mention that it was not just a one off attack but has been revisited time and time again when there was absolutely no call for it.

Why didn't he ask him if he felt he should have a sense of responsibility to report accurately and unsensationally when he has been given a platform through his work, to influence thousands of people.

Why didn't he ask him whether he thought that this kind of gutter journalism was becoming of someone who proclaims himself to be the Sportswriter of the year? If so, what sort of garbage should we expect from the rest of the jornalists who obviously do not match his high standards and why had this not happened.

Why didn't he ask him if inflammatory and innaccurate remarks such as this set a good example to the young, highly impressionable readers of the paper. And whether his continuing to be employed as a sports writer was a sign of how low the standards in our schools really have sunk?

All in all I thought the interview was lame and limp.
Having said that I expected no more.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 24 Feb 2007 11:59

That's why the likes of Tim are destined for a career limited to local radio and voice overs on videos (made a pretty poor effort at that too!).

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 24 Feb 2007 12:04

I'm still kind of miffed after hearing the interview. Nothing has really been gained or lost and he's going to write more derogatory columns on Reading, that i have no doubt.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 24 Feb 2007 12:21

weybridgewanderer
Gav All mouth and no substance. Holt showed no fear in his preparedness and gave him every opportunity to challenge him properly. A real opening to take him to task, and it's a shame that what should have been the best possible representative of the supporters was nervous and unprepared.

absolutely

wasn't the best advert for STAR membership

I hope Jon is more prepared when he is "our" spokesperson when meeting with the club otherwise the club will walk all over him

Will?

weybridgewanderer
Rev Algenon Stickleback H
weybridgewanderer holt came across as aggressive and bullish

prepared to say what he thinks and stick by it
he didn't seem remotely aggressive to me, but he didn't need to be as the guy who rang in was just struck dumb and was unable to put a single coherent thought together.

... <snip>

Still, I suppose I could have rung in and said those things, but I didn't. I was hoping that more people would have got the chance.

the guy who "rang in" was invited on by bbc berks as he is the STAR representative

you could not have rang in yourself as the elected not to allow "jo public" to question holt, only that 1pre approved guest fan was allowed

ollie even ad a host of questions from hna? that he didn't read out till after the interview was over

In other words, the folk at BBCRB set all this up and then bottled it!

Hospital radio beckons!

Bring back JR and Steve Beddow - for that matter the Welsh Windbag himself would have given Holt a pretty good kicking!

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 24 Feb 2007 12:57

Spirit of Elm Park FWIW, I know Jon, and I certainly don't know any fan more commited to the club, I can understand that he had a million and one things that he wanted to say on the subject, but having been held up as the "mouthpiece" for "us", his emotions, which were plain for all to hear, got the better of him. Its hard to put emotions into words, and i am sure most people on here have suffered the same at one time or another.

Fair play Jon :wink: .

Maybe a few people on here should step away from the safety of their keyboard once in a while and try a little empathy.

I have empathy and am not attacking Jon personally. I've certainly lost the plot in a similar manner when I've been nervous.

My point was, STAR should have chosen someone more 'up to the task', so to speak.

Radio Berks should never have invited Holt on. They were aware of Holt's attitude before they booked him, through various other articles prior to this one. It was a battle we never would have won, and as it transpired, only served to make ourselves and the club look weak.

Holt gave us every opportunity to really dissect his claims about the club, and our responses had little substance beyond stamping our feet and telling him to 'stop being mean!'.

Boomer

by Boomer » 24 Feb 2007 14:33

That's because they focussed almost entirely on the latest article laying into Mr Mad, Steve Coppell and Brynyar but not actually peddling lies and slander.

What they should have done is focus squarely on the character assassination of Stephen Hunt over at least three articles due to one accidental challenge and the inflammatory and irresponsible way in which they were written.

This has always been at the core of his attacks and this is what started the whole thing off.

I think his article last week was very clever. He knew he would be on the local radio and wanted to deflect our attention away from the real issue where we could have exposed him for what he is.

Harold

by Harold » 24 Feb 2007 15:54

Spoke to a couple of people who listened to it last night. They said some numpty from STAR was on and he was useless, stuttering all over the place.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 24 Feb 2007 17:01

Harold Spoke to a couple of people who listened to it last night. They said some numpty from STAR was on and he was useless, stuttering all over the place.

Really????

what a fountain of knowledge you are :roll:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 24 Feb 2007 22:18

Gav
Spirit of Elm Park FWIW, I know Jon, and I certainly don't know any fan more commited to the club, I can understand that he had a million and one things that he wanted to say on the subject, but having been held up as the "mouthpiece" for "us", his emotions, which were plain for all to hear, got the better of him. Its hard to put emotions into words, and i am sure most people on here have suffered the same at one time or another.

Fair play Jon :wink: .

Maybe a few people on here should step away from the safety of their keyboard once in a while and try a little empathy.

I have empathy and am not attacking Jon personally. I've certainly lost the plot in a similar manner when I've been nervous.

My point was, STAR should have chosen someone more 'up to the task', so to speak.

Radio Berks should never have invited Holt on. They were aware of Holt's attitude before they booked him, through various other articles prior to this one. It was a battle we never would have won, and as it transpired, only served to make ourselves and the club look weak.

Holt gave us every opportunity to really dissect his claims about the club, and our responses had little substance beyond stamping our feet and telling him to 'stop being mean!'.
BBCB should and did invite him on. Unfortunately, apart from Tim Dellor relaying some of the questions from here (hna) there was little that would ever trouble the guy....in fact, sadly........he will get even more mileage thanks to Stars best offerings.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 25 Feb 2007 10:42

What was that famous political quote?

'Like being savaged by a dead sheep'. On occasions such as the Holt 'phone in', you really need to replace the acceptable/reasonable face with a ruthless barsteward. I'm sure STAR must have one hidden away somewhere!

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 25 Feb 2007 12:48

RoyalBlue What was that famous political quote?

'Like being savaged by a dead sheep'. On occasions such as the Holt 'phone in', you really need to replace the acceptable/reasonable face with a ruthless barsteward. I'm sure STAR must have one hidden away somewhere!
I would have personally nominated Mr Angry, I think he would have been more than a match for Mr Holt.

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 25 Feb 2007 14:09

Boomer I was expecting Tim Dellor to really roast him but he never got going.
Why was so little made of the comments regarding Hunt's challenge and the fact that his and Mourinho's inflammatory remarks led to death threats against our men.

Why did he not mention that it was not just a one off attack but has been revisited time and time again when there was absolutely no call for it.

Why didn't he ask him if he felt he should have a sense of responsibility to report accurately and unsensationally when he has been given a platform through his work, to influence thousands of people.

Why didn't he ask him whether he thought that this kind of gutter journalism was becoming of someone who proclaims himself to be the Sportswriter of the year? If so, what sort of garbage should we expect from the rest of the jornalists who obviously do not match his high standards and why had this not happened.

Why didn't he ask him if inflammatory and innaccurate remarks such as this set a good example to the young, highly impressionable readers of the paper. And whether his continuing to be employed as a sports writer was a sign of how low the standards in our schools really have sunk?

All in all I thought the interview was lame and limp.
Having said that I expected no more.

Tim had to be careful otherwise the guy would've just hung up the phone and that would only serve to add fuel to his fire.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 28 Feb 2007 13:31

I have to say I'm surprised that Ollie and the boys have not been on here to justify the programme again. Ollie or Joel can't remember which was quite vociferous prior to the programme, but they seem to have realised that they shot themselves in the foot there. :roll:

Who's on this week?

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 28 Feb 2007 16:10

Royal Lady I have to say I'm surprised that Ollie and the boys have not been on here to justify the programme again. Ollie or Joel can't remember which was quite vociferous prior to the programme, but they seem to have realised that they shot themselves in the foot there. :roll:

Who's on this week?

Osama Bin Laden talks about life in the mountains, his love for Oliver Holt, and defends his belief that Tony Blair is Bush's bitch.

Fat Leather Jacket

by Fat Leather Jacket » 28 Feb 2007 21:21

I heard it was Uri Geller.

Harold

by Harold » 28 Feb 2007 21:27

bigmike
Harold Spoke to a couple of people who listened to it last night. They said some numpty from STAR was on and he was useless, stuttering all over the place.

Really????

:roll:

Still crying about Oliver Holt I see.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Feb 2007 21:37

Halibut
bigmike

Really????

:roll:

Still crying about Oliver Holt I see.
96 hours later, we've all found new fish to fry.

Congrats to Chelsea way back on the 25th btw

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Everyone's favourite tabloid journo confirmed for 23 Feb

by FiNeRaIn » 30 Apr 2010 07:14

Balls I missed the interview, what was said?

302 posts