Curtailed Royals Footy Shows

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Curtailed Royals Footy Shows

by RoyalBlue » 28 Oct 2008 13:33

Just what is happening with the Footy Show? Coverage of the last two home games (Doncaster & QPR) has been halted abruptly part way through a half hour time slot. Since when have shows been scheduled to finish at 18 minutes past or 18 minutes to the hour?! Are budgets at BBC Local Radio now so tight (or is Mick Gooding paid so highly :wink: ) that you can no longer afford to pay the presenters to complete a full show?!

After the QPR game the show finished at 7.42pm! This was seemingly so that listeners could have the pleasure of joining a BBC South syndicated broadcast featuring the ancient and (IMO) decrepid Dave Cash!! (just look at his website to see why!! http://www.davecash.co.uk/) To add insult to injury he welcomed BBC Radio Berks listeners by wondering what the Reading result had been. :twisted:

Prior to that, listeners to the footy show had been asked on several occasions to ring or text in with their views on the game and particularly the 'penalty' incidents. Yet not one call was taken and no texts were read out. Why bother to ask for calls and texts if you have no intention of including them but would rather clear off home early and leave your loyal listeners at the mercy of Dave bl*ody Cash?!!

Twice now, I have been forced to sacrifice my principles and retune to 107FM in order to get proper post match coverage!

What's more, according to the BBCRB website, you're not going to bother with any coverage of tonight's game at Burnley. Instead we will be able to enjoy Roger Day with an hour of jazz from 9.00pm. Probably a cock up on the listings but it's really not good enough! :twisted:

Come on guys, sort yourselves out. RFC may have been relegated from the PL but that's no excuse for you offering distinctly non-league level broadcasting!!

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Curtailed Royals Footy Shows

by Barry the bird boggler » 28 Oct 2008 15:08

Quite agree, last week after Doncaster it was ended rather sharpish when normally it goes onto at least the half 10 mark then Saturday was quite incredible - esp as a lot of the programme around the game seemed to concentrate on the Premier games happening that and the next day.

As an aside it also irritating that apparently clubs below the level of Basingstoke and Maidenhead don't exist and so we get no round up of the senior non league scores in Saturday's programme - yet we get a round up of what LI did today (come to that local rugby is also ignored whereas we at least used to get scores of Henley, Reading, Bracknell etc..)...

Come on BBC please do better.

cheeryoleary

by cheeryoleary » 28 Oct 2008 20:11

This forum. Why?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 28 Oct 2008 23:06

cheeryoleary This forum. Why?

Your question. Why? What? :?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 29 Oct 2008 12:26

its not like they have thousands of people lining up waiting for their dull country music showafter the game, theres only 20 people listening FFS!
the footy phone in should go on until people stop calling in!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 29 Oct 2008 15:56

brendywendy its not like they have thousands of people lining up waiting for their dull country music showafter the game, theres only 20 people listening FFS!
the footy phone in should go on until people stop calling in!

Quite, I should imagine Dave Cash's 'dulcid' tones prompted a mass switch off/over. Good job the BBC doesn't really have to worry about listening figures!

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 17 Nov 2008 12:21

Mick and Tim went home at quarter to 6 on Saturday, another curtailed show of Reading content!

Also, nice to see the BBC remembering this Forum exists....

John 3:16

by John 3:16 » 01 Dec 2008 13:28

This forum was set up in the days of Ollie and he used to browse HNA? quite regularly. The Dellor and others don't, quite simply, and they don't care. So, turn of, tune out, cop out is my advice.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 01 Dec 2008 13:29

Especially as about 50% of each programme seems to be a recording of highlights from this game, last game, a game last season, etc - often repeated at 10 minute intervals.

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 02 Dec 2008 16:06

I used to like hearing what the players had to say. I also despise that bloody noise they play during the highlights reel. BZZZZT.

John 3:16

by John 3:16 » 02 Dec 2008 16:34

willz_royal I used to like hearing what the players had to say. I also despise that bloody noise they play during the highlights reel. BZZZZT.

Oasis?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 02 Dec 2008 17:13

Dirk Gently Especially as about 50% of each programme seems to be a recording of highlights from this game, last game, a game last season, etc - often repeated at 10 minute intervals.

Agreed - far too many boring repeated fillers. Shorten the show so it starts 20 minutes before KO, and finishes 30 minutes after the game. Do away with the tedious texters' rubbish.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 02 Dec 2008 20:48

Do they still have the callers who ring in and say "I wasn't at the game, but I think Coppell should have done so and so and x player was rubbish?"

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 02 Dec 2008 22:44

John 3:16 This forum was set up in the days of Ollie and he used to browse HNA? quite regularly. The Dellor and others don't, quite simply, and they don't care. So, turn of, tune out, cop out is my advice.

It's almost getting to that point now. Last night's show was so crap I was almost glad they curtailed it (10.22 pm I believe, to join some crappy syndicated BBC South show mid sentence). What a classic the 'overheard' interviews with Coppell are - guess the question asked by another journalist and then try to make out what Coppell is saying into someone else's microphone!

Next time Dellor, do us a favour and stay in Cardiff if you can't be bothered to put a bit more effort into the show. Not that you'll ever read this, of course.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 02 Dec 2008 22:50

10.10 pm :
The text macchine has broken down - it's overheated from the weight of texts coming in, so we can't read out any texts.

10:16 pm :
Keep sending those texts in....

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Dec 2008 13:12

RoyalBlue Next time Dellor, do us a favour and stay in Cardiff if you can't be bothered to put a bit more effort into the show. Not that you'll ever read this, of course.

That's a bit unfair. I should imagine broadcasting live in the freezing cold for 3 hours then rushing to grab interviews with all and sundry ain't exactly a cakewalk.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 03 Dec 2008 13:13

Royal Rother
RoyalBlue Next time Dellor, do us a favour and stay in Cardiff if you can't be bothered to put a bit more effort into the show. Not that you'll ever read this, of course.

That's a bit unfair. I should imagine broadcasting live in the freezing cold for 3 hours then rushing to grab interviews with all and sundry ain't exactly a cakewalk.

Maybe, but he's not doing it for nothing.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 06 Dec 2008 15:05

Useless ****ing BBC barstewards. Have just switched off the on-line transmission, even though kick-off at Barnsley has been delayed by 15 minutes!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Dec 2008 00:43

RoyalBlue Useless ****ing BBC barstewards. Have just switched off the on-line transmission, even though kick-off at Barnsley has been delayed by 15 minutes!
that's a shame

The radio broadcast was spot-on (once again) today

Ollie

by Ollie » 07 Dec 2008 08:23

RoyalBlue Useless ****ing BBC barstewards. Have just switched off the on-line transmission, even though kick-off at Barnsley has been delayed by 15 minutes!

A tad harsh. The online stream blocking is operated centrally for all BBC local radio stations from Birmingham, and usually runs to a schedule laid down weeks or months in advance. (As soon as the fixtures are out and TV swaps accounted for, normally.)

So it's not somebody sat in the studio at 3pm on Saturday, stubbornly switching the online stream off even though they know there's still 15 mins before kick-off. Given the almighty number of hoops to be jumped through to get Birmingham to go into their schedule and reset it for 15 minutes later, by the time they got it changed, it'd be 3.15pm anyway.

John - I still do browse HNA regularly! I just don't have the power to supply Tim with comedy texts any more...