FAO Dellor

131 posts
Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

Re: FAO Dellor

by Barry the bird boggler » 14 Dec 2009 09:41

Clodagh got it wrong, he should have just said "that's your opinion" and left it.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 14 Dec 2009 10:03

Royal Lady Hah! Because we occasionally text in our thoughts on the game, which aren't always the same as Dellor's?

If I'm particularly pizzed off, I'll text in and say what I felt about the game - no idea if they're ever read out tbh. don't care really - let's me vent a bit of frustration.

And having listened again this morning, BR didn't even say you're not a true supporter, he said "you're not a supporter of this club" - what an arrogant @rsehole he is - no wonder you like him Lee.

How is slagging them team off pre-match, coming out with the 'I told you so' line without actually providing a decent argument as to what he would do and then asking inflammatory questions in a post-match interview at a game we easily deserved to win 'supporting' the club. Perhaps he shouldn't be reacting to an ill-informed cricket coach with a big mouth and a silly over-reactionary lady who loves a good moan though - neither have a clue about football so it shouldn't matter what their opinions are.

WestCoast Life
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by WestCoast Life » 14 Dec 2009 10:40

My take on things.

I was at the game and after they scored listened to BBCRB whilst watching to hear what Dellor's take on things was. He was getting more worked up than me and those in the East Stand around me (who were mostly gob-smacked). What I didn't like or feel comfortable with was his rant at Cummings - describing him as the worst player ever who should never play for RFC again. Tim - Cummings played OK, in the 1st 1/2 he did well (by our standards). I thought he tired towards the end and should have been swapped for Armstrong before the equaliser (with Tabb going RB), that would have been a sensible substitution IMHO.

I heard the interview live in the bus and you could hear the gasps when BR said it was a good performance. No way was that a good performance against such a poor side. It's this comment that I think caused Tim to challenge him, and rightly so. If anything BR got off lightly as Tim backed down almost immediately. I thought BR's response was unprofessional, as we saw with his comments to the media on Tommy Smith, he is inexperienced in this area.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Dec 2009 10:43

Royalee
sandman
Southbank Old Boy So if you think he was wasting a spot by having him on there, who was the player he was leaving out to accomdate him?

It's an irrelevant question because I think he was fit enough to play for at least an hour from the start.Like I said, Stretch has played reserve games to build his fitness and I think he could have played.

Do you work with the players day in day out then?

He has played a few reserve games now to get himself up to a level of fitness that while not being 100% match fit he could still be considered to play apart from the start IMO. Armstrong has had this injury several times (even being told to give the game up a couple of occasions).If he didn't feel ready and with his history I doubt he would of felt able to even be on the bench.

I can speculate one way and you the other, the only person who really knows is Stretch. I'm not questioning his place in the match day squad.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Dec 2009 11:00

Royalee
Royal Lady Hah! Because we occasionally text in our thoughts on the game, which aren't always the same as Dellor's?

If I'm particularly pizzed off, I'll text in and say what I felt about the game - no idea if they're ever read out tbh. don't care really - let's me vent a bit of frustration.

And having listened again this morning, BR didn't even say you're not a true supporter, he said "you're not a supporter of this club" - what an arrogant @rsehole he is - no wonder you like him Lee.

How is slagging them team off pre-match, coming out with the 'I told you so' line without actually providing a decent argument as to what he would do and then asking inflammatory questions in a post-match interview at a game we easily deserved to win 'supporting' the club. Perhaps he shouldn't be reacting to an ill-informed cricket coach with a big mouth and a silly over-reactionary lady who loves a good moan though - neither have a clue about football so it shouldn't matter what their opinions are.

You are of course right, Dellor should of bowed to Rodgers superior football knowledge built up after a glittering playing career in which he won every trophy in the book :wink: .We dominated, we did not deserve to win the game because we DIDN'T take our chances. Plenty of texters thought the same thing Dellor just put the opinion of himself, and others (including Mick Gooding) across to Rodgers. Especially when the manager said it was a brilliant performance.

On Tuesday one man made the difference. Scunny didn't have a player of Moses ability so that IMO, makes it a more disappointing result.
Last edited by sandman on 14 Dec 2009 11:26, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 14 Dec 2009 11:24

Royalee

I know a fair bit about football actually. But when it comes to RFC it's different, because they're "my" team. I don't know why people bother responding to you, myself included. You'll never change your opinions, even with the strongest evidence against them. You hate Coppell, you love Rodgers. Such is life. And you're entitled to your opinions as much as the next man, or woman, doesn't always make you right, however. :roll:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 14 Dec 2009 11:36

sandman
Royalee

You are of course right, Dellor should of bowed to Rodgers superior football knowledge built up after a glittering playing career in which he won every trophy in the book :wink: .We dominated, we did not deserve to win the game because we DIDN'T take our chances. Plenty of texters thought the same thing Dellor just put the opinion of himself, and others (including Mick Gooding) across to Rodgers. Especially when the manager said it was a brilliant performance.

On Tuesday one man made the difference. Scunny didn't have a player of Moses ability so that IMO, makes it a more disappointing result.

No, Dellor should have put his questions across in a more respectful manner and also engaged in some debate and put forward what he'd actually do without prancing about saying 'look at me, I told you so' without actually saying what he'd have done and who he'd have signed. He doesn't know this if course because he has no knowledge of the game or understanding of the situation we find ourselves in because he's a jumped up toff.

We deserved to win the game - we hit the woodwork twice and their keeper was man of the match.

Gooding has said throughout the season that Rodgers should be given time and is building a team when he's been allowed a word in over Dellor. Gooding will have said it was no better than Palace in terms of a result and how good it is for us in terms of league position, but ask him about the performance and he'll say we passed it much better. Dellor against doesn't understand this though because he's a crown and a joke short of a Christmas Cracker.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 14 Dec 2009 11:38

Royal Lady
Royalee

I know a fair bit about football actually. But when it comes to RFC it's different, because they're "my" team. I don't know why people bother responding to you, myself included. You'll never change your opinions, even with the strongest evidence against them. You hate Coppell, you love Rodgers. Such is life. And you're entitled to your opinions as much as the next man, or woman, doesn't always make you right, however. :roll:

You don't - don't flatter yourself.

I don't 'hate' Coppell, I just get very agitated when I see how overrated he is by our fan base as he seemingly can do no wrong despite his obvious flaws. I also don't 'love' Rodgers and feel he could have done some things better like drop Ingimarsson and Kebe a lot quicker, but I feel that overall what he's trying to do is positive. You seem to 'love' Coppell and 'hate' Rodgers though, based purely on interviews and nostalgia.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 14 Dec 2009 11:41

Sorry, but I can see exactly where BR is coming from on this one.

The biggest issue - especially when playing at home - is the confidence of the players, especially the youngsters, where confidence is everything. I'm not surprised he jumped to their defence when Dellor went steaming in, on the air, with a rant which wouldn't have looked out of place on "The Team" board. The Sig, for instance, may not be perfect yet - but he's learning all the time, and the one way you can be sure he won't get better is to keep telling him how crap he is and how many chances he missed - especially in public. That's basic psychology!

Anyone who is given a public platform also has a responsibility to be objective and fair - and TD steaming in with all his "just not good enough" will do as much damage to the team as a chorus of boos from the East Stand. Regardless of whether it's true or not, do it enough and it will be a self-fulfilling prophesy, as sure as eggs is eggs.

From that point of view, BR is right in saying he's "not a supporter". Anyone who has the best interests of Reading FC at heart and is lucky enough to be given a public platform has to be tempered and measured, not to go sailing in with an "everything is crap"-type rant like Dellor did. I don't blame BR in the slightest for being defensive of his players - I think any manager worth his salt would do the same.

And before that I was disagreeing with TD anyway - that was a much better performance than against Palace - in everything except in front of goal. We should have been 4 or 5 up by half-time, in which case the sloppiness at the back would have been completely ignored. Yes the back four do make silly mistakes - if they didn't they'd not be at Reading. But every team does - score enough goals and that don't matter. Currently we're only deficient in one area - and that's up front.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 14 Dec 2009 11:43

perhaps we should have a poll to see how certain posters come across. I think RL would come out of it better .

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 14 Dec 2009 11:51

Royalee

No, Dellor should have put his questions across in a more respectful manner and also engaged in some debate and put forward what he'd actually do without prancing about saying 'look at me, I told you so' without actually saying what he'd have done and who he'd have signed. He doesn't know this if course because he has no knowledge of the game or understanding of the situation we find ourselves in because he's a jumped up toff.

Dellor is a reporter, he does not have to tell anyone what 'HE' would do in the managers shoes, he is there to ask questions about performances and choices from the manager and the players.. You really are losing big time on this issue royalee.

There have been times when Dellor has come out with some very bizarre and reactionary comments after games, that is also not his job IMHO, it is not up to him to say Cummings should never paly again for RFC, that is disrespectful, and does no good at all.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 Dec 2009 11:52

Well put Dirk.

I quite like Dellor, and his double act with Gooding is worth listening to for me as they often talk a lot of sense. I think the BBC reporter should be putting a few tough questions Rodgers way, but I do agree they need to do it in the correct manner, but Rodgers response wasn't what it should've been.

Rodgers should've taken it in his stride a bit more but on the positive side I guess it can be argued that it shows he cares about the team, as well as his job I suppose! His comments came over as too defensive, aggressive and petty, but I don't mind the manager showing a bit of passion and reacting with a bit of emotion now and again. If that was Holloway, Strachan or O'Neil we'd probably be applauding him for putting the jouro in his place.

A bit more class and humour would've gone down well though, but don't forget this is the guy who's hero and mentor is Jose Mourinho so this isn't totally unexpected is it?

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 14 Dec 2009 11:52

Good post Dirkers.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Dec 2009 11:54

Dirk Gently Sorry, but I can see exactly where BR is coming from on this one.

The biggest issue - especially when playing at home - is the confidence of the players, especially the youngsters, where confidence is everything. I'm not surprised he jumped to their defence when Dellor went steaming in, on the air, with a rant which wouldn't have looked out of place on "The Team" board. The Sig, for instance, may not be perfect yet - but he's learning all the time, and the one way you can be sure he won't get better is to keep telling him how crap he is and how many chances he missed - especially in public. That's basic psychology!

Anyone who is given a public platform also has a responsibility to be objective and fair - and TD steaming in with all his "just not good enough" will do as much damage to the team as a chorus of boos from the East Stand. Regardless of whether it's true or not, do it enough and it will be a self-fulfilling prophesy, as sure as eggs is eggs.

From that point of view, BR is right in saying he's "not a supporter". Anyone who has the best interests of Reading FC at heart and is lucky enough to be given a public platform has to be tempered and measured, not to go sailing in with an "everything is crap"-type rant like Dellor did. I don't blame BR in the slightest for being defensive of his players - I think any manager worth his salt would do the same.

And before that I was disagreeing with TD anyway - that was a much better performance than against Palace - in everything except in front of goal. We should have been 4 or 5 up by half-time, in which case the sloppiness at the back would have been completely ignored. Yes the back four do make silly mistakes - if they didn't they'd not be at Reading. But every team does - score enough goals and that don't matter. Currently we're only deficient in one area - and that's up front.

Dellor did not rant at Rodgers (If anything it was the other way round), he asked a question that a lot of the fans asked and a view shared by Mick Gooding who knows far more than you or I do about the game.

Rodgers should have taken Dellor to task off air if he didn't agree with him.Unfortunately, the only thing Rodgers appears to have learnt from Moronho is how to be crass and classless.

Also if Rodgers loves Reading so much why did he poach players like Lyskov and others (including trying to take Henry) when at Chelsea? We are the true supporters of this club and we'll be here long after Rodgers.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 14 Dec 2009 12:04

+ 1

By saying Dellor "isn't a supporter of this club" for questioning his comments, BR is saying the same to a lot of us, who pay his ruddy wages and turn up week in, week out to watch the drivel on display.

zummerset

by zummerset » 14 Dec 2009 12:23

Royalee I like your stuff normally but this weekend your railing is madder than a foaming mouthed Daily Mail reader.

Why should a journalist (or anyone else) seeing another piss poor result that leaves us at the foot of the table be respectful of the mini me 'Special One'. You yourself have been worked yourself into fits of back stabbing rage when SC was cocking things up in your opinion - better the manager gets it in the neck when he tries to palm us off with jam tomorrow when the evidence points towards any hoped for jam being rather thinly spread and of the budget variety.

fridays child

by fridays child » 14 Dec 2009 12:40

All the cr@p about his 'project' getting the right DNA..

Yes we played better than against Palace but once again incapable of putting chances away and closing up shop at the back.

TD had every right to press BR on this, maybe could have put it better but then it's a subject he cares about, as do we.

You don't get points for effort, and we're a long way from being too good to go down.

midfield diamond

by midfield diamond » 14 Dec 2009 12:50

zummerset Royalee I like your stuff normally but this weekend your railing is madder than a foaming mouthed Daily Mail reader.

Why should a journalist (or anyone else) seeing another piss poor result that leaves us at the foot of the table be respectful of the mini me 'Special One'. You yourself have been worked yourself into fits of back stabbing rage when SC was cocking things up in your opinion - better the manager gets it in the neck when he tries to palm us off with jam tomorrow when the evidence points towards any hoped for jam being rather thinly spread and of the budget variety.

Yes let TD say what he thinks and put the alternate view.
Football is a results business. BR is getting few results. He's spent more money than a lot of Championship managers and we're near the foot of the pile. He has an excuse each week ... we'd have won if we'd taken our chances (well we don't) ... we'd have won if we didn't give away silly goals (well we do).... AFed is in his first full season (so what)...... the team is youthful (well it usually isn't).
He gets an easy ride from the press generally because they don't want to lose access to the manager or players for interviews etc. Mick Gooding is a bit reserved because I think he doesn't want to sound like a grouchy ex manager who thinks he could do better but I'd be interesdted to know what he really thinks given the shambles we've seen so far this season.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 14 Dec 2009 12:53

It appears they are both saying the same thing: - we played well in the middle but couldn't take our chances at the end that mattered and lost concentration at the back. It's just that Rodgers chooses to look at the performance of the team as a whole whereas Dellor chooses to concentrate on the negatives. Rodgers has to look after the wellfare of the team, whereas Dellor's job is to create news. I imaagine to Rodgers, Dellor is quite a pest.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 14 Dec 2009 13:45

Dirk Gently Sorry, but I can see exactly where BR is coming from on this one.

I like your post, Dirk. Though I'm not sure about your last sentence. We've conceded quite a few goals, so I'd say our defence is a concern too.

131 posts