FAO Dellor

131 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: FAO Dellor

by Hoop Blah » 14 Dec 2009 14:04

midfield diamond He's spent more money than a lot of Championship managers and we're near the foot of the pile.

He also had to rebuild a team after all it's better players were moved on to cut the cloth etc.

He spent a decent amount, but the players he lost were far superior to the ones he was left with. No other club lost the heart of their squad in quite the way we did.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 14 Dec 2009 14:27

I still can't fathom why he spent £2 million on Mills and would rather he sat on the bench. :|

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 14 Dec 2009 14:38

He's one for the future, isn't he? :roll:

Murts-is-Lej

by Murts-is-Lej » 14 Dec 2009 15:17

The interesting thing about this whole episode is just how differently two people at the same game can look at a performance. Dellor had a complete downer on Cummings for the last 30 minutes of the game despite it looking to me like there were at least 2 worse defenders on the pitch. In fact I'd say the defending was marginally better collectively than against Palace for most of the match rather than worse. Dellor then really gets on his high horse about how abject the whole performance was when I think the team created far more chances than they did against Palace.

Actually when it came to the interview http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/readingfc he was far more restrained than in his commentary even though he was clearly "gobsmacked" that Rogers was being quite so positive despite throwing away another 2 points. He merely expressed his opinion that the team were worse than Tuesday which Rogers absolutely disagreed with. I suspect Rogers may have been trying to make a (poor) joke out of not wanting to let someone with Dellor's opinion or experience anywhere near the training ground but his comment about him "not being a supporter of the club" revealed a gross naivety in dealing with the press. God help the poor bloke if he ever got subject to the pressure his Special Dad ever faced...

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 14 Dec 2009 15:28

Royal Lady I still can't fathom why he spent £2 million on Mills and would rather he sat on the bench. :|

started to play
got injured
kept out of team due to good run and consistency attempts
hell be back soon enough at this rate

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 14 Dec 2009 15:47

Thaumagurist*
Dirk Gently ....... Currently we're only deficient in one area - and that's up front.

I like your post, Dirk. Though I'm not sure about your last sentence. We've conceded quite a few goals, so I'd say our defence is a concern too.

Thanks!

It certainly is a concern, but even the best defence in the world has lapses and lets in goals - ours more than most, yes, but I was trying to make the point that if one of our shots that hit the bar had gone two inches lower then no-one would be talking about the goal Scunthorpe scored. It's only because we missed so many chances that the defence becomes relevant.

BTW, a journo in Scunthorpe e-mailed me this morning and said
Don't quite know how we got a point on Sat ..... Think Lillis though will have had a few beers at the Christmas party that night - the crossbar was our second best defender!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 Dec 2009 15:50

Sometimes signings don't pay off. It's always a gamble bringing a player into a new squad of players, a new town, new way of playing etc etc.

I still think Mills looks alright and will hopefully come good, but his signing made a lot of sense and at just over a million so far he doesn't look poor value for money if he comes good. I'd certainly like to see more of him in the side, and unfortunately the way Ivar is playing at the moment I don't think he could do much worse.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 14 Dec 2009 16:56

brendywendy
Royal Lady I still can't fathom why he spent £2 million on Mills and would rather he sat on the bench. :|

started to play
got injured
kept out of team due to good run and consistency attempts
hell be back soon enough at this rate

He didn't play for a while at the beginning because, everyone kept saying, "he wasn't match fit". Good run my @rse.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Dec 2009 20:06

Thaumagurist* He's one for the future, isn't he? :roll:

Exactly, as is Short Cummings. :lol:

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Dec 2009 20:10

Basically Rodgers is a huge fan of Hollyoaks. Mills' girlfriend is Brenda's absolute favourite so in order to meet her he signed Mills.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 14 Dec 2009 22:40

Negative blokes are bad enough, but negative women really irritate me.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 14 Dec 2009 22:44

Well, unless things change for the better on the pitch RR, you'll have to get used to it. :wink:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 14 Dec 2009 23:53

Royal Lady Well, unless things change for the better on the pitch RR, you'll have to get used to it. :wink:

You'd be too busy posting shit on here to notice a change on the pitch anyway.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 15 Dec 2009 09:36

Royalee
Royal Lady Well, unless things change for the better on the pitch RR, you'll have to get used to it. :wink:

You'd be too busy posting shit on here to notice a change on the pitch anyway.

Look, I fully understand that we are polar opposites when it comes to our views on the team and the management of this club, but you really don't do yourself any favours at all when you just resort to insults towards me. If I post so much rubbish, I'm surprised you even bother to read it, let alone get worked up about it!!

Royal1983

by Royal1983 » 15 Dec 2009 11:11

At the end of the day the bloke is a t**t some people agree with this some don't so is the way of the world! SC was a great manager but will not return so people need to get over it. BR is doing the best of what he can with the lack of players and money for buying and wages thanks to NH and JM, he should not have reacted the way he did but fair play to him, I don't believe that Dellor likes BR or RFC for that matter as he is always negative, everyone is entitled to their oppinions at the end of the day and mine is Dellor should not be commentating on the matches if he doesn't want to be there. It's sad that supporters that say it is their team have ago at the manager and team rather than just continuing to support them, it's heart breaking to see but at the end of the day what the hell can anyone do - you can't exactly write in to JM telling him to f**k off can you so get over it!!! :roll:

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 15 Dec 2009 11:23

My mate Watford Tom has read this thread and his views are as follows:

Watford Tom A very interesting reaction from Rodgers. I had a look at HNA regarding this and was surprised that some fans thought the question inappropriate. Surely if someone sees a performance that wasn’t good and then hears the man in charge banging on about how good the performance was, then surely it is the mark of a fan to say that he can’t believe anyone could say that was good. Fair enough, the phrasing could have been better but Rodgers should be used to tough questions, especially after his decision to leave Watford for Reading.

What really struck me was how nasty the tone of his voice got – he really took offence to it and his reaction was petty. The journalist tried to get the interview on track by asking about preparations for Bristol City and Rodger’s response of “we’ll be preparing away from you” was just as embarrassing as it was nonsensical. To say he’s not a fan of the team because he questioned whether the performance was exceptional sets a very dangerous precedent in that does that statement apply to fans who think the team is playing cr@p?

All in all, I’m sure it’s an interview that Rodgers may regret in the months to come, especially if the fans continue to be lukewarm to him.

While I think about it – the HNA poster Royalee – what’s he on? He’s surely got to be Rodgers in disguise?

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 15 Dec 2009 11:54

I had never heard of this Dellor bloke until this week. Does he know anything about football? Should he ever land the big job, say at BBC Radio Manchester, would he have the bottle to confront Sir Alex Ferguson in this way? Out of all the prominent present day football radio presenters who does Dellor most closely resemble? Jacqui Oatley?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 15 Dec 2009 12:11

Negative_Jeff I had never heard of this Dellor bloke until this week. Does he know anything about football? Should he ever land the big job, say at BBC Radio Manchester, would he have the bottle to confront Sir Alex Ferguson in this way? Out of all the prominent present day football radio presenters who does Dellor most closely resemble? Jacqui Oatley?

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 15 Dec 2009 14:19

Negative_Jeff I had never heard of this Dellor bloke until this week. Does he know anything about football? Should he ever land the big job, say at BBC Radio Manchester, would he have the bottle to confront Sir Alex Ferguson in this way? Out of all the prominent present day football radio presenters who does Dellor most closely resemble? Jacqui Oatley?

he didn't confront anyone. He asked if Rodgers could see how some people thought it a worse performance than Tuesday night. It's not as if he was asking him if he would resign or saying the team were a disgrace.

ps, given how "The special One" reacted to criticism at the weekend, it seems Rodgers has been taking notes.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 17 Dec 2009 08:22

handbags_harris My mate Watford Tom has read this thread and his views are as follows:

Watford Tom A very interesting reaction from Rodgers. I had a look at HNA regarding this and was surprised that some fans thought the question inappropriate. Surely if someone sees a performance that wasn’t good and then hears the man in charge banging on about how good the performance was, then surely it is the mark of a fan to say that he can’t believe anyone could say that was good. Fair enough, the phrasing could have been better but Rodgers should be used to tough questions, especially after his decision to leave Watford for Reading.

What really struck me was how nasty the tone of his voice got – he really took offence to it and his reaction was petty. The journalist tried to get the interview on track by asking about preparations for Bristol City and Rodger’s response of “we’ll be preparing away from you” was just as embarrassing as it was nonsensical. To say he’s not a fan of the team because he questioned whether the performance was exceptional sets a very dangerous precedent in that does that statement apply to fans who think the team is playing cr@p?

All in all, I’m sure it’s an interview that Rodgers may regret in the months to come, especially if the fans continue to be lukewarm to him.

While I think about it – the HNA poster Royalee – what’s he on? He’s surely got to be Rodgers in disguise?

LOL

Tim Dellor is a legend and sacking him would upset more people than sacking Rodgers has done

Dellor > Rodgers. In fact, I reckon Dellor would have done just as well as Rodgers if he was manager for the past 20-odd games.

131 posts