Should Dellor Be Sacked?

156 posts

After his altercation on Saturday, and general negativity.

yes
21%
no
79%

Total votes: 174
Cookie

Re: Should Dellor Be Sacked?

by Cookie » 14 Dec 2009 19:48

He's OK, bit of a public school nob though.

I don't like the way he gets on Shaun Cummings' case.
The boy is still only 20 and looks a good athletic well balanced youngster who will prove the sceptics wrong very soon. But he is desparately lacking in confidence, not helped by Dellor whipping up criticism of him.
"The worst player ever to wear a Reading shirt" I think not Mr. Dellor.
Let's judge him in two year's time.

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 14 Dec 2009 19:49

Ah poor old Brenda, the pressure really is getting to him isn't it. He couldn't have sounded much more of a childish little tw@ if he possibly tried in that interview.
The next 6 games we have I can see 6 defeats, if that doesnt get that our c*ck of a Chairman to pull his finger out & sack this buffoon then I don't know what will.

I cant remember a time when Football has been any more depressing. Rodgers/Madejski have sucked away anything good this club has. Now we have players that fans cant relate too, a manager who is too busy fisting his own asshole to see the clearer picture, and a chairman who simply has no clue.

Supported Reading since 1993 and dont remember it much more depressing than this season.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 14 Dec 2009 19:53

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=95055&start=40#p2425608

In the BBCRB thread, I posted this but I think it's relevant to this thread :
Dirk Gently Sorry, but I can see exactly where BR is coming from on this one.

The biggest issue - especially when playing at home - is the confidence of the players, especially the youngsters, where confidence is everything. I'm not surprised he jumped to their defence when Dellor went steaming in, on the air, with a rant which wouldn't have looked out of place on "The Team" board. The Sig, for instance, may not be perfect yet - but he's learning all the time, and the one way you can be sure he won't get better is to keep telling him how crap he is and how many chances he missed - especially in public. That's basic psychology!

Anyone who is given a public platform also has a responsibility to be objective and fair - and TD steaming in with all his "just not good enough" will do as much damage to the team as a chorus of boos from the East Stand. Regardless of whether it's true or not, do it enough and it will be a self-fulfilling prophesy, as sure as eggs is eggs.

From that point of view, BR is right in saying he's "not a supporter". Anyone who has the best interests of Reading FC at heart and is lucky enough to be given a public platform has to be tempered and measured, not to go sailing in with an "everything is crap"-type rant like Dellor did. I don't blame BR in the slightest for being defensive of his players - I think any manager worth his salt would do the same.

And before that I was disagreeing with TD anyway - that was a much better performance than against Palace - in everything except in front of goal. We should have been 4 or 5 up by half-time, in which case the sloppiness at the back would have been completely ignored. Yes the back four do make silly mistakes - if they didn't they'd not be at Reading. But every team does - score enough goals and that don't matter. Currently we're only deficient in one area - and that's up front.

I really do think the constant negativity and sniping is actually making things much worse - these players are real people, with feelings and confidence that needs to be built up and nurtured - they're not icons in a game of Championship Manager. And broadcasting to them just how crap they were is the worst possible way to get good performances out of them.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 14 Dec 2009 19:56

The club reap what they sow. Are you really saying the local media should go easy on them just because they've got themselves in a mess? Even if Dellor is a supporter, his job as a reporter is to ask the club employees the questions that supporters/listeners want an answer to. As has been stated, he did just that.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 14 Dec 2009 20:09

I wonder what our manager would have said if Dellor had been more pointed in saying:-
"In the light of Barnsley,Plymouth,Sheff Wed and Peterboro having sacked their managers already this season because of where they are in the league do you think you are on borrowed time?"
No doubt he would have chinned Dellor and asked for his head to be chopped off for treason to the Royals.
As I heard the interview Dellor was saying that fans would be asking etc.,etc which is valid interviewing especially the way things have gone in this poxy season.
Brendan,there was nothing "outstanding" on Saturday apart from a couple of McAnuff runs.
There certainly was no outstanding defending nor outstanding finishing which are both significant aspects of the game.
He really does make Pardew sound low-key by comparison and that takes some doing.

John Peel

by John Peel » 14 Dec 2009 20:10

Having looked at the transcript I don't think either BR or TD were massively out of order. I do agree that comparing Saturday to Palace is a little odd, but I think he just making a point. I.e. that he's sick of the club's (not just BR) Comical Ali-esque statements - building for the future, that it's just that 'wee bit' of extra up front or wherever on the pitch, or whatever else. If it's not working now then you need to worry. And just because we're playing well means f*ck all. Only thing that matters is killing the game off and getting all three points. Southampton played some excellent football last season and look what happened to them.

So they do reap what they sow. Just because everyone isn't in agreement with BR/the club it means they're not true supporters? That's boll*cks and, actually, the kind of tosh that one-party states usually come out with.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 14 Dec 2009 20:13

Agree to a certain extrent Dirk but in any sporting arena there will be those who will get criticised for screwing up in any situation. This is the public domain and yes, players are young and learning their trade. They are paid very well in comparison to the general public. That is a given in relation to actual playing career.

It invites passion and vitriol, but if the players really are that fragile in their own abilities and mental well being, then it is up to the individual and the club to turn this around. It's surely about self belief, humility, arrogance, and the willingness to prove themselves, gain the experience, develope and eventually reach a level where they can suss out and read the opposition and therefore the game.

One minute a player on top of his game and in the next instance they can srew up. It's a fine line but not a personal attack in the individual, just on that particular moment in time within the game.

Negativity can be turned around and used in a contructive manner.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Dec 2009 20:23

Cookie He's OK, bit of a public school nob though.

The boy is still only 20 and looks a good athletic well balanced youngster who will prove the sceptics wrong very soon. But he is desparately lacking in confidence, not helped by Dellor whipping up criticism of him.

Short Cummings is the new John Halls. I would also suggest that our manager decision to subject him to wave after wave of attacks by Jerome Thomas against West Brom without any protection would damage his confidence more than the comments of a journo.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 14 Dec 2009 20:50

Dirk Gently And broadcasting to them just how crap they were is the worst possible way to get good performances out of them.

Well, I never knew they had Radio Berkshire piped into the dressing room after the game 8) .

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 14 Dec 2009 20:56

Anywhere we can hear the interview?

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 14 Dec 2009 21:03

sandman
Cookie He's OK, bit of a public school nob though.

Short Cummings is the new John Halls. I would also suggest that our manager decision to subject him to wave after wave of attacks by Jerome Thomas against West Brom without any protection would damage his confidence more than the comments of a journo.

But Dellor doesn't just criticise a player for what they do on the pitch, he goes on and on about them - 'worst player ever to wear a Reading shirt' being just one of his OTT comments. That's fine if you're Royalee or Ideal posting on here, but he's being broadcast out as some sort of expert on RFC and as such he's a bad influence on his listeners.

PardewsLoveChild

by PardewsLoveChild » 14 Dec 2009 21:29

Dellor's a prick,BUT he does have the right to ask any question he wants,BUT Brendan has the right to reply to it anyway he wants aswell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 14 Dec 2009 21:43

PardewsLoveChild Dellor's a prick,BUT he does have the right to ask any question he wants,BUT Brendan has the right to reply to it anyway he wants aswell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No he doesn't! I suspect his boss could well do without him further fanning the flames with such petulant responses.

A considered approach would have been to have acknowledged Dellors/the fans frustrations but to have pointed out that going on witch hunts, being overly negative etc. won't help, particularly when so many of the players are young and relatively inexperienced. He could have stressed that it is his job to support his players, to emphasise the positives and to try to maintain/restore confidence and that to do otherwise would equally leave him open to criticism from the fans.

He could really do with some coaching on how to handle difficult media situations but definitely not from those who allow Madejski to strut his stuff in front of the media!!

I can recommend http://www.impactfactory.com/p/media_sk ... 76432.html and a bargain at under £500!

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 14 Dec 2009 21:50

Having listened to both the "interview" on the dreadful "Peachy" show and read the comments on here. I can conclude that's it's a storm in a teacup. Dellor asked a question... Brendan got a bit defensive. Erm, that's it really. Feel free to slate away. I couldn't give an arseholes.

davis69

by davis69 » 14 Dec 2009 21:55

Should dellor be sacked errr NO

Should brendan rodgers be sacked YES

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 14 Dec 2009 22:06

davis69 Should dellor be sacked errr NO

:roll:

Forever Reading
Location: We are the boys of the Elm Park Choir, Singing on a Saturday keeps us fit....

by Forever Reading » 14 Dec 2009 22:07

John Peel Having looked at the transcript I don't think either BR or TD were massively out of order. I do agree that comparing Saturday to Palace is a little odd, but I think he just making a point. I.e. that he's sick of the club's (not just BR) Comical Ali-esque statements - building for the future, that it's just that 'wee bit' of extra up front or wherever on the pitch, or whatever else. If it's not working now then you need to worry. And just because we're playing well means f*ck all. Only thing that matters is killing the game off and getting all three points. Southampton played some excellent football last season and look what happened to them.

So they do reap what they sow. Just because everyone isn't in agreement with BR/the club it means they're not true supporters? That's boll*cks and, actually, the kind of tosh that one-party states usually come out with.

where is the transcript???

Rax

by Rax » 14 Dec 2009 22:08

Ideal

+1

+1000

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 14 Dec 2009 22:09

Rax
Ideal

+1

+1000

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 14 Dec 2009 22:31

Wow, journalist upsets football manager shock. This stuff happens all the time, a more highly strung manager would have probably stormed out of the press conference.

They disagreed, end of story. Let's not forget BR is a Reading fan as well and I'm sure his emotions were running high after the game. Nobody needs to get sacked and I'm sure if there's a decent result this week they'll kiss and make up.

156 posts