New Stadium

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: New Stadium

by Hendo » 15 Nov 2021 20:28

Jagermesiter1871 I for one would never get public transport to Mad Stad. Would get public transport every week if in town.

Why? Where are you coming from? It’s pretty easy, tbf.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 16 Nov 2021 00:19

Hendo
Jagermesiter1871 I for one would never get public transport to Mad Stad. Would get public transport every week if in town.

Tilehurst. The buses from the ground in my experience are a nightmare. Either leave early, stand in a massive queue or miss them. Rammed. Take ages.

If the stadium was in town I'd jump on the 17.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Nov 2021 07:57

Jagermesiter1871
Hendo

Tilehurst. The buses from the ground in my experience are a nightmare. Either leave early, stand in a massive queue or miss them. Rammed. Take ages.

Could always jump on 17 and then get the football bus into town. The football bus from the station is pretty well run now.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 16 Nov 2021 09:53

Hendo
Jagermesiter1871
Hendo

Could always jump on 17 and then get the football bus into town. The football bus from the station is pretty well run now.

I live in Tilehurst and if I drive then I can leave the house at 2pm and still get a pint in at the Jazz cafe. If traffic levels are ok after the game i'll be home by 5:45. If I were to catch two buses then i'd probably have to add 1.5-2 hours to be journey and double the cost.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 16 Nov 2021 10:38

Elm Park Kid
Hendo
Jagermesiter1871

I live in Tilehurst and if I drive then I can leave the house at 2pm and still get a pint in at the Jazz cafe. If traffic levels are ok after the game i'll be home by 5:45. If I were to catch two buses then i'd probably have to add 1.5-2 hours to be journey and double the cost.

Precisely. Put the stadium in the town centre and we could probably leave home at 2:30 and still grab a prematch pint.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 16 Nov 2021 10:48

Jagermesiter1871
Elm Park Kid
Hendo

Precisely. Put the stadium in the town centre and we could probably leave home at 2:30 and still grab a prematch pint.

I wouldn't mind the travel if you could make more of a day out of it. But no one wants to drink at the ground and the upsey down is still a 25 min walk. Even if you meet your mates at midday, that's only a couple of hours of drinks and chat before you're then done for the day apart from a £5 half-time lager.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 16 Nov 2021 20:10

Elm Park Kid
Jagermesiter1871
Elm Park Kid

I wouldn't mind the travel if you could make more of a day out of it. But no one wants to drink at the ground and the upsey down is still a 25 min walk. Even if you meet your mates at midday, that's only a couple of hours of drinks and chat before you're then done for the day apart from a £5 half-time lager.

Christ it's depressing when you spell it out like that.

I came to the realisation a while ago you can actually forego the football and have a better day out.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 18 Nov 2021 10:31

Green
Elm Park Kid
Jagermesiter1871

Christ it's depressing when you spell it out like that.

I came to the realisation a while ago you can actually forego the football and have a better day out.

No wonder we're in FFP trouble. Sometimes I think this town doesn't deserve a football club.

Pat Butchers Ring

by Pat Butchers Ring » 01 Dec 2021 12:55

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... n-22316372

We'll no doubt respond with 'yeah but Luton is a shithole' but that doesnt make their point less valid. As an experience, a ground in the middle of nowhere is shite.

royalstevep68

by royalstevep68 » 09 Dec 2021 02:30

Pat Butchers Ring Has any one ever thought about what the football experience would be like if the club had built the SCL Stadium somewhere near the town centre. We always hear comments from visiting fans about the ground feeling 'soulless' and the fact its on an out of town industrial estate so it got me thinking about in the age of public transport where it would have been located if it was being built in 2021.

Completely hypothetical but i wonder if the club in the mid term future would consider moving the stadium back to the centre of town as part of another scheme. The benefits to the wider community (shops, ease of access) would be huge and I think overall football experience and attendance would improve.

I feel the stadium actually looks tired now so perhaps not beyond the realms of possibility.

Tired wtf, no

Go to southamptons ground and hasn’t aged well. Looks like they have big scoreboards from the 1980s

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 19 Feb 2022 13:54

Look at Oxford's situation at the moment. They don't own their ground, and the poor bastards have the Thai's who'll almost certainly look to asset strip where possible as they did here.

They're now looking for a new site to build a new ground, and that could easily be us in a few years.

We don't own anything any more. No stadium, hotel, land around the stadium, or the training ground. If Dai pulls his investment and sells up, we could be in a lot of trouble, and we may very well need a new stadium again. It happens, and it's happening down the road in Oxford.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 19 Feb 2022 18:24

PATRIQT Look at Oxford's situation at the moment. They don't own their ground, and the poor bastards have the Thai's who'll almost certainly look to asset strip where possible as they did here.

They're now looking for a new site to build a new ground, and that could easily be us in a few years.

We don't own anything any more. No stadium, hotel, land around the stadium, or the training ground. If Dai pulls his investment and sells up, we could be in a lot of trouble, and we may very well need a new stadium again. It happens, and it's happening down the road in Oxford.

I heard an interview with this investor who was looking at English clubs to buy. He did some investigation into Oxford but said that the stadium situation, and the lease they were tied into, was so bad that he wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 19 Feb 2022 19:21

Elm Park Kid
PATRIQT Look at Oxford's situation at the moment. They don't own their ground, and the poor bastards have the Thai's who'll almost certainly look to asset strip where possible as they did here.

I heard an interview with this investor who was looking at English clubs to buy. He did some investigation into Oxford but said that the stadium situation, and the lease they were tied into, was so bad that he wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

I believe it's due to expire soon. Check the link in General Football stadium thread, it must be a page or two back. One of the things they established early on was that the fans want four stands. :lol:

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 21 Feb 2022 20:15

Elm Park Kid
Hendo
Jagermesiter1871

I was naively hoping the Green Park station would mean a five minute train journey from Tilehurst to Reading main station and then a five minute service to the ground, breaking the journey in town for beers and food. Job done!