RFC email data breach

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

RFC email data breach

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jan 2023 16:34

FYI, RFC just emailed all 'International' Royals TV subscribers CC rather than BCC, so email addresses have been been exposed.

They've tried to recall it, but that basically doesn’t work for external emails.

So watch out for any up tick in phishing or ID theft if you're effected.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RFC email data breach

by muirinho » 19 Jan 2023 18:41

Snowflake Royal FYI, RFC just emailed all 'International' Royals TV subscribers CC rather than BCC, so email addresses have been been exposed.

They've tried to recall it, but that basically doesn’t work for external emails.

So watch out for any up tick in phishing or ID theft if you're effected.

FFS!!

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 19 Jan 2023 18:56

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 19 Jan 2023 18:57

Any comedy reply alls yet?

"Please remove me from this mailing list"

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 19 Jan 2023 20:07

So someone's got a group of email addresses signed up to Royals International?

I don't think anything too bad is going to happen.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 19 Jan 2023 21:08

Interesting take - to take it further it could perhaps be the shot in the arm the expat royals community needs. Galvanise the troops, get the socials going again.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Jan 2023 08:10

Was moderately surprised by how few of us there are - wasn't expecting tons but surprised there were less than 300 who have signed up to watch the matches.

And yes, there were a couple of people replying all to try and drum up interest for Whats App groups, most just ignored it and we've since had an apology from the club.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jan 2023 08:49

Green Interesting take - to take it further it could perhaps be the shot in the arm the expat royals community needs. Galvanise the troops, get the socials going again.

Someone has already tried to do that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jan 2023 08:50

Stranded Was moderately surprised by how few of us there are - wasn't expecting tons but surprised there were less than 300 who have signed up to watch the matches.

And yes, there were a couple of people replying all to try and drum up interest for Whats App groups, most just ignored it and we've since had an apology from the club.

Same. Especially because some of them will be in the UK and using a VPN.

State of the club's systems to be c+ping a list of emails into an outlook email bcc field. :roll:

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 20 Jan 2023 09:37

Stranded Was moderately surprised by how few of us there are - wasn't expecting tons but surprised there were less than 300 who have signed up to watch the matches.

How many have unsubscribed to emails though (assuming that was respected - maybe that's a stretch!)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Jan 2023 09:44

Green

How many have unsubscribed to emails though (assuming that was respected - maybe that's a stretch!)

It's not a newsletter, the club, following feedback from some people that it wasn't always clear if a game was going to be available or not, took it on themselves to start sending out emails confirming if a game was on RoyalsTV or if it was blackouted due to being on another channel.

Can't see anyway to unsubscribe on the emails, which is probably a breach of GDPR or some such law.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 24 Jan 2023 11:50

Does GDPR apply for foreign based peeps?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 24 Jan 2023 12:04

Silver Fox Does GDPR apply for foreign based peeps?

It started life as an EU thing, so certainly it applies across most of Europe.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 24 Jan 2023 12:09

I thought I saw something on the news about us leaving the EU?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 24 Jan 2023 12:22

Silver Fox I thought I saw something on the news about us leaving the EU?

Yep, but (unlike regulations on clean water, working hours, health and safety etc etc etc) we decided to retain GDPR.

All the EU GDPR regulations were merged into the UK-specific Data Protection Act 2018 - informally known as the "‘UK GDPR".

But still, any UK organisation that offers goods or services to, or monitors the behaviour of, EU residents still has to comply with the EU GDPR and reflect this in its process documentation.

Conservative_dad
Hob Nob Regular

by Conservative_dad » 25 Jan 2023 14:29

tinpot club

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 25 Jan 2023 15:14

Elm Park Kid So someone's got a group of email addresses signed up to Royals International?

Don't be so sure of that. For starters the club (or whoever Royals TV is outsourced to) will now have to report that data breach to the Information Commissioner's Office within 72 hours of it occurring.

Talking to someone who is used to working with mailing lists and mail outs, it's apparently harder to cock this sort of thing up than get it right if you are using a decent program!

And if the full list was sent out then just 248 international subscribers seems a really low number but perhaps people have got fed up with the number of matches that are blacked out for TV broadcasts leaving just the audio commentary.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jan 2023 10:42

RoyalBlue
Elm Park Kid So someone's got a group of email addresses signed up to Royals International?

Don't be so sure of that. For starters the club (or whoever Royals TV is outsourced to) will now have to report that data breach to the Information Commissioner's Office within 72 hours of it occurring.

Talking to someone who is used to working with mailing lists and mail outs, it's apparently harder to cock this sort of thing up than get it right if you are using a decent program!

And if the full list was sent out then just 248 international subscribers seems a really low number but perhaps people have got fed up with the number of matches that are blacked out for TV broadcasts leaving just the audio commentary.

That number being basically zero if you can be bothered to get a vpn.

I reckon there's a pretty strong chance RFC hasn't reported the breach to the ICO.

And given it happened because someone copied emails into an outlook cc rather than bcc field, they don’t have a program for it in the first place.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 02 Feb 2023 13:29

Snowflake Royal
RoyalBlue

I reckon there's a pretty strong chance RFC hasn't reported the breach to the ICO.

And given it happened because someone copied emails into an outlook cc rather than bcc field, they don’t have a program for it in the first place.

If so, then we definitely deserve the 'tinpot club' label in some respects.

As for decent VPNs, some of us have them but still don't begrudge paying our club some money to watch coverage of games. Mugs we may be but at least we're doing our bit to try to ensure the club we support gets some revenue from the games.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Feb 2023 17:42

RoyalBlue
Snowflake Royal
RoyalBlue

If so, then we definitely deserve the 'tinpot club' label in some respects.

As for decent VPNs, some of us have them but still don't begrudge paying our club some money to watch coverage of games. Mugs we may be but at least we're doing our bit to try to ensure the club we support gets some revenue from the games.

The VPN doesn’t give you free access. It allows you to spoof your location and pay the club directly to watch games as an International fan. Iirc it's £140 to stream most league games. I'd probably pay double that tbf.

I expect most clubs have utterly dreadful IT systems.