Burger Vans outside the MadStad

Billy The Fish

Burger Vans outside the MadStad

by Billy The Fish » 18 Aug 2010 19:20

After the Portsmouth game I purchased a "jumbo hot-dog and chips" from a local roadside vender of comestibles. The quality of sausage was in my opinion very good, the "jumbo" epithet was justified, the bread roll was tasty, fresh and soft, the chips were made from good quality potato and were not greasy, and the whole thing was piping hot and generally delicious. The cost? £3.50.

Now I have occasionally purchased items from the vans outside the Madejski, and I have found the food to be horrible and ludicrously over-priced.

My questions to you fellow nobbers are:
Are all the burger vans outside the Madejski licensed to be there by the club? Possibly Pompey is a free-for all as once outside the ground you are very much on public roads straight away.
Are all the vans outside the Madejski the same company? Can any of them be recommended?
Has anyone ever commented to the club about the food outside? Or is it just me that thinks it's Not Very Good.

Cheers!

North Somerset Royal

Re: Burger Vans outside the MadStad

by North Somerset Royal » 18 Aug 2010 19:35

The burger vans outside were included in the survey of supporters undertaken by the club at the end of last season. The results are on the OS.

see http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDet ... 22,00.html
& http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDet ... 73,00.html

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 18 Aug 2010 20:14

Billy The Fish After the Portsmouth game I purchased a "jumbo hot-dog and chips" from a local roadside vender of comestibles. The quality of sausage was in my opinion very good, the "jumbo" epithet was justified, the bread roll was tasty, fresh and soft, the chips were made from good quality potato and were not greasy, and the whole thing was piping hot and generally delicious. The cost? £3.50.

Now I have occasionally purchased items from the vans outside the Madejski, and I have found the food to be horrible and ludicrously over-priced.

Are all the burger vans outside the Madejski licensed to be there by the club? Possibly Pompey is a free-for all as once outside the ground you are very much on public roads straight away.
Are all the vans outside the Madejski the same company? Can any of them be recommended?
Has anyone ever commented to the club about the food outside? Or is it just me that thinks it's Not Very Good.

Cheers!

Isn't it weird how every time we play Coventry at home we boss the first half and miss a hatful of chances to only go 1-0 up at the break? Then, Coventry come out in the 2nd half like a completely different team and turn it round to win 2-1.

Magnus

by Magnus » 18 Aug 2010 20:26

*sigh*

oh to support a club which doesn't play in a soulless out of town stadium :(

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 19 Aug 2010 08:44

Also has to be mentioned that independant sellers in Reading Council area have to be licensed for a pitch, RBC insist on a licence even on privatre land within 50 meters of the highway, makes it difficult for independants to operate.

http://www.reading.gov.uk/environmentpl ... ngconsent/

appears to be over £2k for a years license.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 19 Aug 2010 11:35

Magnus *sigh*

Still plenty of decent reasonably priced food retailers within walking distance of the Mad Stad!

It really amazes me that people continue to pay way over the odds for the crap that is offered up in and around the Mad Stad.

Billy The Fish

by Billy The Fish » 19 Aug 2010 12:55

RoyalBlue It really amazes me that people continue to pay way over the odds for the crap that is offered up in and around the Mad Stad.

Good, not just me that thinks it's crap then!

RoyalBlue Still plenty of decent reasonably priced food retailers within walking distance of the Mad Stad!

Care to name some of them?

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 19 Aug 2010 13:12

World Turned Upside Down - £3.50ish get you a carvery
Deep Blue - 2.50 gets you large chips n jumbo sausage

There you go - theres 2

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 19 Aug 2010 13:43

Magnus *sigh*

If it is that important to you then none of us are stopping you from doing just that. :oops:

Magnus

by Magnus » 19 Aug 2010 13:44

Haven't been to a home game this century tbf - I'm doing ok.

havoc

by havoc » 19 Aug 2010 14:22

Been to three home games in the last two seasons.

complete waste of time and money when you're too busy cringing with embarrassment and face palming to watch the game

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 19 Aug 2010 14:26

Billy The Fish After the Portsmouth game I purchased a "jumbo hot-dog and chips" from a local roadside vender of comestibles. The quality of sausage was in my opinion very good, the "jumbo" epithet was justified, the bread roll was tasty, fresh and soft, the chips were made from good quality potato and were not greasy, and the whole thing was piping hot and generally delicious. The cost? £3.50.

Cheers!

Agreed. Sack the board. Madejski out.

boycey

by boycey » 20 Aug 2010 15:55

Never ceases to amaze me that people would even think about buying food at a football game.
its 3 o'clock for farks sake. not lunch. not tea.
are you that lardy that you have to shovel a cows nostril burger down you're gullet within minutes of arriving at a football match?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 20 Aug 2010 16:10

boycey Never ceases to amaze me that people would even think about buying food at a football game.
are you that lardy that you have to shovel a cows nostril burger down you're gullet within minutes of arriving at a football match?

:oops: :oops: :oops:

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 20 Aug 2010 16:16

boycey Never ceases to amaze me that people would even think about buying food at a football game.

I have to say that I can see where you are coming from here. Mind you, I have been known to grab a bite to eat at an evening game when rushing direct from work.

Magnus

by Magnus » 20 Aug 2010 16:20

Breakfast -> Pub -> Mad Stad -> Grub
doesn't seem an unreasonable way to plan your day to me.

And forgive me but who the pfuck are you to tell me what's a reasonable hour for my lunch?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Aug 2010 16:20

Matt de K World Turned Upside Down - £3.50ish get you a carvery
Deep Blue - 2.50 gets you large chips n jumbo sausage

There you go - theres 2

They are two of those that I would go for (Deep Blue even operate a loyalty/discount scheme!). And even the likes of McD, KFC and Pizza Hut serve up a higher quality of junk food for a lot less money.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 20 Aug 2010 16:54

i dont trend to wake up till late on saturdays, then i hve a quick brekkie, and straight off to the game, by the time it gets to half time im starved.
bit agreed- id rather go to any of the other retailers around the place

Ryn

by Ryn » 28 Sep 2010 15:15

I used to enjoy the proper Rollover hotdogs served up in the stadium concourse area, since they have done away with those and replaced them with gippo ones I don't eat at or around the stadium at all now.

Gloria Gooner
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gloria Gooner » 28 Sep 2010 17:27

It's all part of the match day experience for some people I get the train to Reading at 12:30 and I've never eaten before I get there (I get my lunch at M&S on the station, but if I didn't, I'd want something).