Where have all the fans gone?

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Where have all the fans gone?

by CMRoyal » 23 Aug 2010 14:47

Magnus
Royal Rother
Magnus ^ 'greed. I think whoever pointed out it's now 27 quid for a matchday ticket was closer to the money.

Jeez! My son and I can go to 3 Windsor & Eton matches for that. No traffic problems, free parking, cheap beer... proper football played by real men in a decent spirit, for the love of the game, where a high wage would be £100 a week. And you can often chat to the managers and players of both teams in the bar after the game.

The football might not be as good but it sure has its attractions.

Non league is the way forward, absolutely.

Turn up on the day, pay less than a tenner to get in, have a pint of real ale in the club house at half time.

TBF if you're that worried about watching high quality football you wouldn't be at the Mad Stad anyway.

It's a tenner at Basingstoke, and to be honest football-wise it's almost a complete waste of money. Yeah it's great to stand up, wander around, smell the turf and get a decent pint in at half-time. But I still wouldn't say it's better value than the Mad Stad in terms of entertainment.

Magnus

by Magnus » 23 Aug 2010 14:57

Depends what going to football is all about for you.

Like I say, if the quality of the football is the be all and end all, lets face it, you'd just stay at home and watch the premier league on the box. But going to football is more than that.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 23 Aug 2010 15:00

Magnus Depends what going to football is all about for you.

Like I say, if the quality of the football is the be all and end all, lets face it, you'd just stay at home and watch the premier league on the box. But going to football is more than that.

Fair point - I shouldn't have said "complete waste" because like you say it's not all about the quality. If I had to put a value on it, I'd say RFC is worth about £18 a ticket and BTFC about a fiver at the moment. So, I actually feel less hard done by at the Mad Stad than at the Camrose at the moment. Maybe I should try Aldershot...?

Magnus

by Magnus » 23 Aug 2010 15:03

CMRoyal If I had to put a value on it, I'd say RFC is worth about £18 a ticket and BTFC about a fiver at the moment.

I'd go along with that.

It is frustrating that non league football prices seem to have gone up by a similar amount in percentage terms as the football league, but I guess it's inevitable.

Think I paid £10 or £12 to go and watch Tooting and Mitcham last season. That was certainly overpriced, AFC Wimbledon is the same money I think and they're a league or two higher so it's better "value", but it's somewhat irrelevant at that level I think.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 23 Aug 2010 16:01

Magnus Depends what going to football is all about for you.

surely you go somewhere to watch football, cos you are a supporter
just oxf*rd off and watching non league team X isnt going to really help, cos they arent your team.

Magnus

by Magnus » 23 Aug 2010 16:21

Well I'll go against the grain here when I say for me you don't have to have a team for life.

Why do most of us support Reading? Because either we or a family member lived in the area. When you lose that tie, some people still drive 300 miles a week to watch their team but whenever I read of that I think why would you do that.

Let's say you move from Reading to Exeter. Would watching Exeter City every week be the end of the world? Ultimately you like going to watch football and that's gonna be the same wherever you are, and over time you build an affinity to a new side.

For me I'm happy enough dipping in and out of local non league games, because I prefer football at that level these days. I haven't really got a team, and only go about 2 or 3 times a season, but if I went more regularly I'm sure I'd start to "support" them easily enough.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 23 Aug 2010 16:23

People can sense the negativity of the board and chairman and know the clubs moving backwards, why would that encourage anyone to come?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 23 Aug 2010 16:46

Magnus Well I'll go against the grain here when I say for me you don't have to have a team for life.

Why do most of us support Reading? Because either we or a family member lived in the area. When you lose that tie, some people still drive 300 miles a week to watch their team but whenever I read of that I think why would you do that.

Let's say you move from Reading to Exeter. Would watching Exeter City every week be the end of the world? Ultimately you like going to watch football and that's gonna be the same wherever you are, and over time you build an affinity to a new side.

For me I'm happy enough dipping in and out of local non league games, because I prefer football at that level these days. I haven't really got a team, and only go about 2 or 3 times a season, but if I went more regularly I'm sure I'd start to "support" them easily enough.

no, because reading are already my team, and exeter would have no real draw for me as a result

if my mum had moved to exeter,before i had chosen reading as my team, then it would make sense, but she didnt, so it doesnt

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 23 Aug 2010 17:26

brendywendy
Magnus Well I'll go against the grain here when I say for me you don't have to have a team for life.

no, because reading are already my team, and exeter would have no real draw for me as a result

if my mum had moved to exeter,before i had chosen reading as my team, then it would make sense, but she didnt, so it doesnt

I spent 36 years in the Army and was very rarely posted close to Reading but I am still and always will be a Reading fan. Right now I live in Cirencester and am ST holder. My sons and duagther are all Reading fans too - and they have spent even less time living in or near the town. To be honest, if you are fickle enough to switch allegiance in the manner that you describe I would put it to you that you are not a fan of the club, merely a spectator who wants them to win?

Magnus

by Magnus » 23 Aug 2010 17:43

I had a season ticket for 5 years, and used to go to loads of away games, but I'm not going to get drawn into the I used to be a better supporter than you argument which I find so tiresome. Call me fickle if you like, I've been called far worse frankly. But in my mind I was most definitely a "supporter" in those days.

Like I said I know it goes against the grain for many football fans, but for me, not living in the area, with the club uprooting to a new soulless out of town all seater stadia, I just don't feel the need to go there anymore.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 23 Aug 2010 18:31

jumpers for goalposts
Magnus ^ 'greed. I think whoever pointed out it's now 27 quid for a matchday ticket was closer to the money.

8)

Pointed this out ages ago in the season ticket thread.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 Aug 2010 19:04

Magnus I had a season ticket for 5 years, and used to go to loads of away games, but I'm not going to get drawn into the I used to be a better supporter than you argument which I find so tiresome. Call me fickle if you like, I've been called far worse frankly. But in my mind I was most definitely a "supporter" in those days.

Like I said I know it goes against the grain for many football fans, but for me, not living in the area, with the club uprooting to a new soulless out of town all seater stadia, I just don't feel the need to go there anymore.

To a certain extent I can identify with what you are saying and when my son started playing semi-pro football last season and his matches clashed with Reading's, family loyalty won out without too much grieving for RFC and our empty season ticket seats!

Tad Showbiz

by Tad Showbiz » 23 Aug 2010 20:36

The most sensible point is made by the Boro fan whose comment from 606 is on the article about getting their chairman to reduce admission prices, not the comments made by Stracho.

The reason football players are the only ones with money is they are paid far too much, clubs get a fair amount of that through gate receipts so to pay players wages clubs need to increase their admission costs which in turn leads to those with less of a disposible income stop going.

I can't be bothered to research how much Boro charge to get in but it is probably about the same as Reading.

It is time for football to introduce some kind of salary cap although the authorities should take a share of the blame for introducing all seater stadiums which was always going to increase costs of attending matches to the supporters. I'm certain if there was a law introduced that safe standing areas would be allowed at football grounds like in Germany we would be paying a lot less to watch football.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 23 Aug 2010 20:47

Tad Showbiz It is time for football to introduce some kind of salary cap although the authorities should take a share of the blame for introducing all seater stadiums which was always going to increase costs of attending matches to the supporters. I'm certain if there was a law introduced that safe standing areas would be allowed at football grounds like in Germany we would be paying a lot less to watch football.

i agree with the salary cap bit

safe standing would decrease the occupancy of an area withn the stadium by about 10% so arguable would increase the cost of a ticket

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 23 Aug 2010 21:06

My first Reading game was in 1971. My first ST in 1983/84 in the 4th division. In 1986/87 I managed to see every home and away first team game. I had a ST every season thereafter until 2000 when I moved abroad. Since 2002, when I came back, There have only been 2 seasons when I did not buy a ST. Last season was my last with a ST.

Quite frankly, it was getting to the stage that I was getting bored of the whole thing. Being tied to going to football when I could have done other things. Having seen about 6 or 7 non league games last season I found myself getting home with a real, proper high. I had suddenly found what I was missing. I would be buzzing all evenng because I had started to rediscover the game that I fell in love with.

So far this season, I have been to Binfield, Camberley, Windsor and Fleet. Anyone who complains about the anonymous nature of out of town stadia could do themselves a favour and go and visit a non league ground. No stewards, no police, no queues, decent toilets, well appointed clubhouses, free car parking and some great banter to boot. It feels good going into work on a Monday not having had the rest of my weekend ruined by an overpaid bunch of prima donnas.

royal-biscuit-man

by royal-biscuit-man » 23 Aug 2010 21:51

havoc
pea Didn't forest fill their stand last year?

cant be arse to resize

09/10

10/11

What part of the ground is your second picture havoc? I like the look of it. :shock:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Aug 2010 22:41

Terminal Boardom It feels good going into work on a Monday not having had the rest of my weekend ruined by an overpaid bunch of prima donnas.

:D Very nicely put, but it seems at odds with your criticism of SJM. I'd have thought you'd have been happy to see your club buck the spend trend.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 23 Aug 2010 22:48

Royal Rother
Terminal Boardom It feels good going into work on a Monday not having had the rest of my weekend ruined by an overpaid bunch of prima donnas.

:D Very nicely put, but it seems at odds with your criticism of SJM. I'd have thought you'd have been happy to see your club buck the spend trend.

My problem with the daft old coot is that he spouts more nonsense than me! He hates the concept of anyone he believes to be his social inferior being successful. Thing is, in business, if you want to employ the best then you have to be prepared to pay market rates. He chooses to ignore this when it comes to football. But that is his perogative. I quite like the idea of a small Dominos Pizza for £2 at half time. How much are the pies in the Mad Stad these days?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Aug 2010 22:57

No good asking me mate... But a Sue Burger has gone up to over £3 though I think. Mind you, that's damn good value because after one of those you can't eat for the rest of the day. It just sits half way down like a boulder.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 24 Aug 2010 12:12

He hates the concept of anyone he believes to be his social inferior being successful.

made up spurious nonsense anyone?

the bloke was the son of a single mother- back when it wasnt ok, from a poor back ground, then had a polish step dad.
hes so far from socially superior to anyone, and i doubt very much that he thinks he is.