Fan suing the club

126 posts
bloody Volvo driver

Fan suing the club

by bloody Volvo driver » 31 Jan 2011 14:20

Just been reading an article in 4-4-2 about a fan (or customer in new football speak) who is taking RFC to the small claims court.

The issue revolves round a shirt he purchased for his son back in August, and after hearing that the Sig "I'd be a fool to go anywhere else" ardsson had signed an extension to his contract decided to buy his boy an away shirt with the Sig on the back. 2 weeks later, Sig Foxtrot Oscars to Germany and the guy requests reimbursement. Naturally the club refused and hence his decision to go to Small Claims in order to get back his £45.

Legally, the club is totally within its rights to refuse to pay back the money / give him a "clean" shirt, but morally after banking £6.5m, a few replacement shirts (that I suspect cost the club at purchase price around £10-20) is hardly going to dent the bottom line, especially after making such a hullabaloo about Sig extending his contract.

I cannot quite work out in my head whether I think the guy is foolhardy (I won't allow my little one to get a name printed on his shirt until the window has closed so the least we will get is 4 months worth of "value") or the club is being a too hard nosed on its fans / customers.

Red
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Fan suing the club

by Red » 31 Jan 2011 14:40

I think the clubs got it right here TBF - it'd be a hell of a precedent to set otherwise.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 31 Jan 2011 14:40

Jeez.

That would just open the floodgates for similar claims everytime a player left.

The club didn't categorically state that Gylffi wouldn't be leaving - it just said they had extended his contract. If you knew your football, you'd know that it often is the way before a player leaves so the selling club can get more money. :|

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 31 Jan 2011 14:53

This has got to be a wind-up, surely!!! :roll:

I'm with the club on this...they don't force you to buy a shirt, likewise they don't force you to then have the name of a player printed on it...If a so called fan is foolish enough to shell out £45 then more fool them...can't be a season ticket holder as we all got a £10 off voucher for replica shirts :wink: so the £45 doesn't add up for a junior shirt!!!

:mrgreen:

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 31 Jan 2011 15:24

What a chump!

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 31 Jan 2011 15:30

lol

if he bough the calendar for christmas and a player left would he want his money back or a new calendar?

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 31 Jan 2011 16:14

I always have my shirts made up with Bremner or Friday or Senior etc. on the back so its never an issue!

Red
Hob Nob Regular

by Red » 31 Jan 2011 16:18

I either get my actual surname or my HNA? username.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 31 Jan 2011 16:37

How much compo would my Matejovsky tattoo be worth?

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 31 Jan 2011 16:38

It's as if no-one ever ever leaves so ner ner. Sad.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 31 Jan 2011 17:12

I heard about this article second hand, but doesn't this bloke live miles away, like somewhere in the North East. (and I thought it was a lot longer than 2 weeks after his purchase that Sig left)

bloody Volvo driver

by bloody Volvo driver » 31 Jan 2011 17:38

PieEater I heard about this article second hand, but doesn't this bloke live miles away, like somewhere in the North East. (and I thought it was a lot longer than 2 weeks after his purchase that Sig left)

According to the article, the guy lives in sunny Middlesbrough. It also states he had the shirt for 4 games, and seeing that Sig left after Leicester away, that would suggest he got it early August, so 2, maybe 3 weeks is about right.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 31 Jan 2011 17:55

The club's attitude would be that what he has bought is a souvenir of a moment in time - where do they make any guarantees about the name on the back?

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 31 Jan 2011 18:25

Schards#2 How much compo would my Matejovsky tattoo be worth?

Was it done at the club?

Super Royals

by Super Royals » 31 Jan 2011 19:12

bloody Volvo driver Just been reading an article in 4-4-2 about a fan (or customer in new football speak) who is taking RFC to the small claims court.

The issue revolves round a shirt he purchased for his son back in August, and after hearing that the Sig "I'd be a fool to go anywhere else" ardsson had signed an extension to his contract decided to buy his boy an away shirt with the Sig on the back. 2 weeks later, Sig Foxtrot Oscars to Germany and the guy requests reimbursement. Naturally the club refused and hence his decision to go to Small Claims in order to get back his £45.

Legally, the club is totally within its rights to refuse to pay back the money / give him a "clean" shirt, but morally after banking £6.5m, a few replacement shirts (that I suspect cost the club at purchase price around £10-20) is hardly going to dent the bottom line, especially after making such a hullabaloo about Sig extending his contract.

I cannot quite work out in my head whether I think the guy is foolhardy (I won't allow my little one to get a name printed on his shirt until the window has closed so the least we will get is 4 months worth of "value") or the club is being a too hard nosed on its fans / customers.

The club is right - the bloke should have bought his shirt after the transfer window had closed, to trust a football player's every word is Oxf*rd stupid!

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 31 Jan 2011 21:17

My lad's got Pearce on the back of his shirt. If Alex goes its no big deal.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 01 Feb 2011 11:31

Caveat Emptor.

Gloria Gooner
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gloria Gooner » 01 Feb 2011 12:19

Mr Angry Caveat Emptor.

Is he an Italian player?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 01 Feb 2011 13:52

I remember Dave Unsworth signed for Aston Villa but asked to leave within a month before the season even started, So they sold him to Everton. Something about him not realising how far away Birmingham was. Anyway, in that case the fans shirts were refunded/replaced, quite possibly at the expense of the player.

In this case, the club should probably stress further the risk fans take in getting a players name on their shirt. There are no guarantees they will stay at the club, no guarantees they will play and no gaurantees they will be involved in a scandal that will make you regret getting the name printed.

silas
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by silas » 01 Feb 2011 14:13

weybridgewanderer lol

if he bough the calendar for christmas and a player left would he want his money back or a new calendar?

Newcastle fans cueing up to claim their refunds on 2011 calanders!

126 posts