Kit - Hoops All The Way Round?

145 posts

Would you like to see the hoops go all the way round the shirt?

YES
84%
NO
3%
DON'T CARE
12%

Total votes: 201
STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Kit - Hoops All The Way Round?

by STAR Liaison » 13 Feb 2012 08:23

RoyalBlue
Only plastics of the very first degree would need to complain about not being able to read names and numbers! :twisted:

You may well be right - but they do not just put up with it they complain - there is a lesson.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 13 Feb 2012 08:27

M U R T Y
starliaison
M U R T Y Good stuff, as many votes as we can and then send the results to the club - perhaps Star could get involved in this one if there is overwhelming fan support?

We regularly ask and apart from there being no way they will allow a public vote, it is a fact that they get more complaints about not being able to read the names and numbers than complaints that the hoops don't go all the way around.

So maybe rather than voting in this poll you would have more effect if you complained directly to the club.

I would have thought if Star presented to the club the result of an online poll stating that 89% (as it currently stands) of Reading fans want to see a return to hooped shirts, that would have a far greater impact than just one or two complaints to the club?

Quite agree but the current number of 53 means the percentage would be laughed at. If there were possibly thousands they would take more notice but there is an inbuilt suspicion of anything on here because of the anonymity. Hence do yourself a favour and complain direct rather than wanting someone to do it for you. That has so much more impact as the club then believes you mean it rather than jsut following the crowd.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 13 Feb 2012 08:33

Muguire
Friday's Legacy
starliaison
We regularly ask and apart from there being no way they will allow a public vote, it is a fact that they get more complaints about not being able to read the names and numbers than complaints that the hoops don't go all the way around.

So maybe rather than voting in this poll you would have more effect if you complained directly to the club.

so why can't the club have a small square patch with the number on then? There can still be a hoop above the square and below it. best of both worlds, but there is absolutely no need for a whole plain back panel on the shirt.

i certainly wont buy a shirt that has a 12 month life span for £40, and looks completely different from the front and back.

personally i can't believe we have any more moaners than any other club, and the likes of sunderland and qpr don't bother with a blank back panel - sunderland especially considering their fanbase vs ours.

honestly, i don't know how qpr fans cope with shirts like this. i mean, how do they read that.. it's like.. REALLY BLOODY CLEAR!!

AND IF YOU ARE A PROPER FAN THAT ATTENDS GAMES OFTEN, YOU DON'T EVEN NEED TO LOOK AT THE NAME AND NUMBER ON A SHIRT.

star are a complete waste of space. MURTY is spot on as well as Friday's Legacy, the fact is you take a no far to easily and walk away instead of trying to do something the majority of fans actually do want. You have no use except coach travel, and quite frankly I'd rather get the friggin' train.

If you want my membership/financial contribution, earn it :!:

That is your right. STAR do take this up with the club and every October when the decision is made - to the extent that we get sighs and 'not that again'. But I am just telling you what they have told us, if not explicitly, complain to them direct on this subject as they have more complaints from those who can't read the numbers.

You forget that they are very keen to keep as many new supporters as they can, that may mean you think they take the rest of us for granted (and we have pointed this out too) but as long as they are trying to grow the crowd that is where their emphasis is.

BTW taking no too easily - how do we force them? Just interested.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 13 Feb 2012 10:27

starliaison
M U R T Y Good stuff, as many votes as we can and then send the results to the club - perhaps Star could get involved in this one if there is overwhelming fan support?

Who complained about not being able to read names/numbers, and when?

And did those who complained say they'd prefer the whole back to be one colour rather than have a small panel for the number?

Why would they not allow a public vote, even if it was maybe limited to members/season ticket holders - or even Star members?

Out of interest, how do they decide on the new kit? How much say do they have? So many kits over the years have had fans saying "it would be a great kit, if only it wasn't for..." where some silly feature like the V bib ruins it. Is it really impossible for the club to ask to not have the silly frills and features that kit designers seem to think are cool?

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 13 Feb 2012 11:29

Why would anyone over the age of about 15 worry what a football shirt looks like?

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 13 Feb 2012 11:29

I would understand IF this was a 60/40 issue but considering my conversations with fans, this poll and a facebook thread suggests that an overwhelming majority of the fans want this, then:

- it is shocking that the club don't understand their customers enough to know this
- with the above in mind it is disappointing that we are this toothless as supporters

Are STAR there to represent the views of fans? If they are then a little more presence in representing these views would be good!

It is my guess, that actually the percentage might be even higher (perhaps discounting younger fans) as perhaps the more traditional fans/those a bit older who have been watching Reading for years are less likely to use the internet much.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 13 Feb 2012 12:27

No Fixed Abode Why would anyone over the age of about 15 worry what a football shirt looks like?

Dunno. You tell me.

No Fixed Abode Something like this - classic and simple.

Magnus

by Magnus » 13 Feb 2012 15:46

What's on the back of Reading shirts at the moment then? Are they all white?

Or are they like the one in Friday Legacy's post with a white square?

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 13 Feb 2012 16:10

Magnus What's on the back of Reading shirts at the moment then? Are they all white?

Or are they like the one in Friday Legacy's post with a white square?

all white. we are reading fc from the front and leeds united from the behind.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Feb 2012 17:32

The Rouge I would understand IF this was a 60/40 issue but considering my conversations with fans, this poll and a facebook thread suggests that an overwhelming majority of the fans want this, then:

- it is shocking that the club don't understand their customers enough to know this
- with the above in mind it is disappointing that we are this toothless as supporters

Are STAR there to represent the views of fans? If they are then a little more presence in representing these views would be good!

It is my guess, that actually the percentage might be even higher (perhaps discounting younger fans) as perhaps the more traditional fans/those a bit older who have been watching Reading for years are less likely to use the internet much.

Have you complained?

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 13 Feb 2012 17:41

Well I wrote a post on the official facebook page. You would how they count that as a communication channel in an upd8ed customer contact strategy.

Optimist

by Optimist » 13 Feb 2012 17:42

Quite agree but the current number of 53 means the percentage would be laughed at. If there were possibly thousands they would take more notice but there is an inbuilt suspicion of anything on here because of the anonymity. Hence do yourself a favour and complain direct rather than wanting someone to do it for you. That has so much more impact as the club then believes you mean it rather than jsut following the crowd.[/quote]

What, 53x as many as the 1 who voted no? Now that is laughable.

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 13 Feb 2012 19:22

I haven't been a member of STAR for around 4 or 5 years now, only really ever benefited from a tiny bit of Royalty points, and a coach once every 3 or 4 seasons.

rfc2001

by rfc2001 » 13 Feb 2012 19:23

I'm refusing to buy a Reading kit until we have hoops all the way round the back and I feel it's an adequate design. I'm still rocking my westcoast one.

78royal

by 78royal » 14 Feb 2012 01:45

same here, I haven't bought a shirt for years and won't until it has hoops. Until then I will save my money

M U R T Y

by M U R T Y » 14 Feb 2012 08:38

starliaison
M U R T Y I would have thought if Star presented to the club the result of an online poll stating that 89% (as it currently stands) of Reading fans want to see a return to hooped shirts, that would have a far greater impact than just one or two complaints to the club?

Quite agree but the current number of 53 means the percentage would be laughed at. If there were possibly thousands they would take more notice but there is an inbuilt suspicion of anything on here because of the anonymity. Hence do yourself a favour and complain direct rather than wanting someone to do it for you. That has so much more impact as the club then believes you mean it rather than jsut following the crowd.

It's all relative though - as pointed out above, 60 have voted "Yes" and 1 "No" - I think even with these small numbers the majority is so overwhelming that it cannot be ignored. As for your point about complaining myself rather than "getting someone else to do it for you" - I suggested STAR do this as I believed that they have regular meetings with the club and as pointed out by yourself, attend meetings regarding next season's kit - and STAR's very own objective (as stated on it's website) is:
"Its objectives can be seen below but can be summarised as aiming to represent the interests of Reading supporters to the Football Club, the media, the local community and the football world, as well as encouraging football in the local community and strengthening the links between the local community and the Club."
Now surely, if year after year Reading fans complain that we no longer wear hoops, STAR should be representing the fans and demanding that RFC change their approach?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Feb 2012 11:59

M U R T Y
starliaison
M U R T Y I would have thought if Star presented to the club the result of an online poll stating that 89% (as it currently stands) of Reading fans want to see a return to hooped shirts, that would have a far greater impact than just one or two complaints to the club?

It's all relative though - as pointed out above, 60 have voted "Yes" and 1 "No" - I think even with these small numbers the majority is so overwhelming that it cannot be ignored. As for your point about complaining myself rather than "getting someone else to do it for you" - I suggested STAR do this as I believed that they have regular meetings with the club and as pointed out by yourself, attend meetings regarding next season's kit - and STAR's very own objective (as stated on it's website) is:
"Its objectives can be seen below but can be summarised as aiming to represent the interests of Reading supporters to the Football Club, the media, the local community and the football world, as well as encouraging football in the local community and strengthening the links between the local community and the Club."
Now surely, if year after year Reading fans complain that we no longer wear hoops, STAR should be representing the fans and demanding that RFC change their approach?

Given we have approximately 30,000 fans, the proportion is irrelevant as the sample is statistically insiginificant. It needs to be an absolute minimum of 100, preferably at least 200 - 300, before it can really be considered worth while. The data is unreliable because HNA is not representative of the supporter base as a whole and the vote could easily be skewed by three people voting 17 times with multiple usernames.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 14 Feb 2012 12:34

No Fixed Abode Why would anyone over the age of about 15 worry what a football shirt looks like?

Dunno. You tell me.

No Fixed Abode Something like this - classic and simple.

Good shirt that isn't it? 8) Would be timeless.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 14 Feb 2012 13:42

so, can star provide a direct email address for us to email?

and can i suggest that those that voted for the hoops to be all the way around send in an email? obviously the more that do the better. (publicise the email address on your social networks etc).

it may be too late for this summers design but perhaps for next season a change may be on the cards.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 14 Feb 2012 14:13

Like the shirt above, I'd like the team to wear the classic 1969-70 shirt.

145 posts