Should we start our own Supporters Group to Replace STAR???

128 posts
Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Should we start our own Supporters Group to Replace STAR

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 19 Jul 2012 21:24

melonhead
Royal Biscuitman
melonhead if no one bought the shirts, theyd change them
They'll continue to change them every year regardless.

of course, to maximise teh revenue

but if reading fans really didnt like a shirt, and teh club only sold a few, theyd listen then.
the fact that loads are still sold, means people dont care in the main, so the club can and will continue to do what it wants

If you want to maximise revenue then surely you'd try to find what it is that stops people buying shirts more often.

Design just may be a factor in that.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Jul 2012 12:30

melonhead
Royal Biscuitman They'll continue to change them every year regardless.

of course, to maximise teh revenue

but if reading fans really didnt like a shirt, and teh club only sold a few, theyd listen then.
the fact that loads are still sold, means people dont care in the main, so the club can and will continue to do what it wants

If you want to maximise revenue then surely you'd try to find what it is that stops people buying shirts more often.

Design just may be a factor in that.

Quite - six shirt sales foregone in this household over last and this season - simply because Puma's 'design' is utter shyte!

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 21 Jul 2012 16:32

I'd be amazed if design featured in even 1% of sales. Fair pair to the poster above, it'd be nice if more were like you, but I suspect for most it's purely tribal.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 21 Jul 2012 22:42

Green I'd be amazed if design featured in even 1% of sales.

I can't believe that for a second.

The amount of regular shirt buyers who don't buy one "because they don't like it" must be pretty high. If it's not the number one factor in deciding whether to buy the new shirt or not, I can't imagine what is.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 22 Jul 2012 03:29

The amount of regular shirt buyers who don't buy one "because they don't like it" must be pretty high. If it's not the number one factor in deciding whether to buy the new shirt or not, I can't imagine what is.

Think about it - if design were all that mattered, and QPR released a new shirt with a great design, how many people would buy that?

To equate buying a football shirt with buying fashion is ludicrous, it's practically the opposite.

Croydon Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Croydon Royal » 22 Jul 2012 08:52

Green

Think about it - if design were all that mattered, and QPR released a new shirt with a great design, how many people would buy that?

To equate buying a football shirt with buying fashion is ludicrous, it's practically the opposite.

Think you guys are debating two different points. I'd imagine Green's right in that there would be very few people who had originally not intended to buy the shirt to change their mind just because the design is great, however I'd imagine there are quite a number of people who might have initially planned on buying the shirt who would have decided not to because the design is so bad. I know I'm certainly one of them.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 22 Jul 2012 13:51

Green Think about it - if design were all that mattered, and QPR released a new shirt with a great design, how many people would buy that?

I wouldn't say it is fashion. Nobody buys the shirt because they think walking round in a printed polyester t-shirt is a cool look, and no matter how good the design is, sales will be limited to a club's fan base. No fans of one club will buy the shirt of another because it looks good. I'd assumed that was taken as read, and we were talking about fans of Reading, not fans of any club and their decision to buy/not buy a Reading shirt.

A poor design will limit the number within that fan base who'll buy it. Look around the stadium and you'll see loads of shirt-wearing fans not in the current shirt. Maybe for some it'll be a cost issue, but I'd still wager for the majority wearing an old shirt, they are doing so because they aren't keen on the current one.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 23 Jul 2012 03:49

Rev Algenon Stickleback H [Nobody buys the shirt because they think walking round in a printed polyester t-shirt is a cool look

I guess this is the crux of my point.

I'd also imagine a huge proportion of sales are to kids - for whom it matters that they have latest shirt. I can't really understand the mindset of any adult who perpetually buys the latest shirt anyway, or frankly even understand the mindset of any adult who feels the need to wear a shirt to matches. But then I realise football is different things to different people and for some the tribal element is obviously very important - and it's these people who buy shirts I think, and I really wonder why the design would make a difference to them, given your st8ment I've quoted above.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 23 Jul 2012 10:38

Personally, I don't think there is any real need for a rival supporter's group. But I do see STAR repeatedly failing to manage its PR well at all. Broadly speaking they come across as arrogant and aloof and this seems to be what p*** off a lot of people.

The recent treatment of a new member in Cypry only further evidences this fact. Apparently he "showed remorse" so it's ok? Get off your high horse, sheesh.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 23 Jul 2012 11:26

As I've been referred to in this thread, I'll post here a couple of posts that I made in the Facebook page on this subject.

For the record, I resigned (amicably, no leaving in a huff for me) from the Board of STAR in September 2010.

The posts I put on the Facebook group are :

..... For starters, an IPS, which is what STAR is, is definitely the right legal mechanism for a supporters' organisation - it's streets ahead of any ISA or supporters club constitution. But the fundamental problem with STAR is that too few people are involved, and too few of them again are prepared to stick their heads above the parapet and get involved. Because STAR is mainly joined by people who want to travel, rather than by people who want there to be an effective supporters' organisation at RFC. So the fact is that STAR is predominantly a travel club and less a supporters' advocacy organisation. STAR is representative of its members - they're 80% people who travel on coaches. STAR doesn't need to be made more representative - it needs people who want it to represent them to step up, become members and stand for election - that's how democracy works, so if people want STAR to be more effective, get invoLoLved and make it the organisation you want it to be. I left the Board because there weren't enough other people in STAR who cared about it being more than a travel club - but it really is as simple as that. More members who care = a bigger talent pool so there are elections (never happened yet) and it goes from there. But no-one who's not joined an organisation can really complain that the organisation doesn't represent them.

and

At every other club that has more than one supporters' organisation the football club profits from divide and rule - the organisations tend to spend more time fighting each other than moving forwards. Reading fans are incredibly lucky to have just one supporters' organisation - if only they'd make the effort to turn it into the one they want (and need) it to be.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 23 Jul 2012 12:01

i like the sound of that last bit

i want a proper rumble between STAR and the new HNA supporters trust

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 23 Jul 2012 12:59

melonhead i like the sound of that last bit

i want a proper rumble between STAR and the new HNA supporters trust

Aint gonna happen. You can only have one Supporters Trust at any club - or at least only one can be recognised by the national organisation, Supporters Direct.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 23 Jul 2012 15:23

and they should fight to determine who gets that right

harryroyal

by harryroyal » 23 Jul 2012 19:01

bit off topic but, I've been on hobnob for a couple of months now and no ones told me to ' Fu ck off newbie.' I'm feeling unloved. :cry:

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 24 Jul 2012 04:29

Dirk Gently STAR is representative of its members - they're 80% people who travel on coaches.

If there's been a more damning critique of STAR then I've yet to see it.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 24 Jul 2012 09:22

I started up a group on FB just to gauge opinion on the feasibility of an alternative Supporters' Group. I got 80 members. Only one or two seemed to open it out to their wider RFC supporting friendship on FB. So with only 80 members it's a complete no go. I've offered to help STAR - if people put their complaints/suggestions on the STAR bit of this board - I'll check through once a week, weed out the WUMs, if any, and pass the details in an email to STAR. Someone there can then report back on here (on the STAR bit of this board) with what has happened. People are free to take it further themselves if they feel it necessary, or discuss it on the STAR bit of this board. STAR are having a board meeting on 9 August and starliaison will get back to me after that to let me know their decision.

To be perfectly honest, if STAR don't want to accept my offer - then I think it tells us everything we need to know.

If someone else wants to do it, btw, please do - I'm just trying to form a bridge between "us" and "them".

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 24 Jul 2012 09:36

harryroyal bit off topic but, I've been on hobnob for a couple of months now and no ones told me to ' Fu ck off newbie.' I'm feeling unloved. :cry:

Welcome to the board

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 24 Jul 2012 10:06

Green
Dirk Gently STAR is representative of its members - they're 80% people who travel on coaches.

If there's been a more damning critique of STAR then I've yet to see it.

And over the top. TBH Dirk was never involved in the membership database so would not know and it has always been a bugbear of his that STAR runs coaches.

I don't think the calcuation has ever been made, but if it were true the away attendance would be a whole lot bigger :D

Also if STAR were a travel club, the Board meetings would have had a much shorter agenda and have been a whole lot quicker, so I can assures you that is simply not the case.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 24 Jul 2012 10:20

How many members do STAR have now by the way? I think you've said it's been growing, but I can't remember even a ball park figure for total membership.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 24 Jul 2012 14:25

harryroyal bit off topic but, I've been on hobnob for a couple of months now and no ones told me to ' Fu ck off newbie.' I'm feeling unloved. :cry:
hi Jay.

128 posts