Should we start our own Supporters Group to Replace STAR???

128 posts
weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Should we start our own Supporters Group to Replace STAR

by weybridgewanderer » 17 Jul 2012 16:59

Rather than form a new group, why do those that are unhappy with the way things currently work no put themselves forward for election at the AGM?

If enough people are unhappy then they will get voted in.

If youfeel not enough of the existing STAR members will vote for you then get those on here that constantly moan to join and vote for you

As for any suggestion about meetings being written up on here, that is fine, butthere will always be something said in the relative privacy of a meeting that the club may not want posted on an open, public forum.

There will always be someone atthe meeting who accidentally or otherwise will post it

It will then need to be moderated

.:BigDaveInTheDungeon:.

by .:BigDaveInTheDungeon:. » 17 Jul 2012 18:54

An alternative to star wouldn't be a bad thing, the club is growing and other teams have more than one group.

Royal Rascal

by Royal Rascal » 18 Jul 2012 14:27

i don't really see the the point in STAR or any supporters group if i am honest. other than provide travel for people who othwerwise cannot get to away games what are they actually needed for?

i can't think of many times in the clubs recent history where there has been a major issue and we have needed a supporters group to do anything? we have had it easy compared to other clubs that have gone into administration, had the colour of their home shirt changed, been moved to milton keynes etc

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 18 Jul 2012 15:17

starliaison For instance, the shirt and hoops; every year before the design is decided we stress the need for hoops, but we are not allowed to actually be involved in the decision.

Why not? And who makes the decision?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 18 Jul 2012 15:49

im not sure reading fans as a whole see it as such a massive issue to be fair

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 18 Jul 2012 15:53

I think Reading Fans as a whole would like to think their thoughts were taken into consideration when a new kit is planned.

glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by glenroyal » 18 Jul 2012 15:53

Platypuss For all those advocating change because they feel STAR isn't militant enough sometimes, it's perhaps worth bearing in mind that this is RFC we're talking about. Under Mr Mad's tenure have they ever given the impression that they give much of a stuff about what the "ordinary fan" thinks? This is the plc that gave us "For every yob we get rid of, we gain a family of four".

STAR obviously took the approach that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, and as a result have taken a hit in the credibility stakes with the rank and file. However I'm not convinced there's any viable alternative tbh.

Agreed Platypuss. Not healthy to think that the "ordinary fan" or "rank and file" needs to be a yob anyway - not that you intended that I know - but we're a broad church with a relatively affluent Royal Berks / M4-Corridor heritage. We are who we are.

glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by glenroyal » 18 Jul 2012 16:27

starliaison I would also welcome the chance to let you know exactly what and what is not practical from my experience so far. For instance, the shirt and hoops; every year before the design is decided we stress the need for hoops, but we are not allowed to actually be involved in the decision, so what else would you suggest to get the decision for hoops. Last time they did actually tell us that they get more complaints about not reading the number against hoops than complaints about not having hoops; and giving them the results of our survey helped but it we need the ammunition.

Hi Paula, and picking up on Rouge's comment, I think the focus on "complaints" is not healthy - it's retrospective and reactionary (and as Rouge says - misleading). Subject to resource / time available for such voluntary effort, and recognizing that HNA is not necessarily representative of the whole fan base, surely better to be pro-active. To conduct surveys on proposals / possibilities and provide regular / annual reports to the club. If the info was good, the club would be hard pushed to ignore entirely.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 18 Jul 2012 17:19

glenroyal
starliaison I would also welcome the chance to let you know exactly what and what is not practical from my experience so far. For instance, the shirt and hoops; every year before the design is decided we stress the need for hoops, but we are not allowed to actually be involved in the decision, so what else would you suggest to get the decision for hoops. Last time they did actually tell us that they get more complaints about not reading the number against hoops than complaints about not having hoops; and giving them the results of our survey helped but it we need the ammunition.

Hi Paula, and picking up on Rouge's comment, I think the focus on "complaints" is not healthy - it's retrospective and reactionary (and as Rouge says - misleading). Subject to resource / time available for such voluntary effort, and recognizing that HNA is not necessarily representative of the whole fan base, surely better to be pro-active. To conduct surveys on proposals / possibilities and provide regular / annual reports to the club. If the info was good, the club would be hard pushed to ignore entirely.

Also - and this may be where the cosy relationship gets challenged - once you have presented robust info to the club, you would publicly inform the fans that this had been done.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 18 Jul 2012 17:54

If the new group took the form of the legendary Reading Drinking Squad of the 1980s, I'd be all for it.

glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by glenroyal » 18 Jul 2012 17:56

Absolutely (@Rouge)

Pat Butchers Ring

by Pat Butchers Ring » 18 Jul 2012 18:09

Time to blow the whistle on the club saying no to things that are of interest to us . If they say 'No' to the fans representaive group having any say in the design of the shirts, then let the fans know.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 18 Jul 2012 18:55

glenroyal

That is how we have played it but the place where we may have gone wrong is in informing our members rather than the rest of the supporter base. However it would appear from some of the comments on here that some supporters don't think you are representing them unless you take the club head-on, but we have found that we have had much more influence by, as Platy put it using honey rather than vinegar. They don't always consult us but it is more frequent and they are more interested in our views as the years go by. However if we know of something being complained about that we can suggest a solution to, we will and we have had success in the past.

The notes of our part of the senior management meetings are posted on www.star-reading.org and available to all but we don't shout about them anything like enough.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 18 Jul 2012 21:54

Jerry St Clair If the new group took the form of the legendary Reading Drinking Squad of the 1980s, I'd be all for it.

it would certainly liven up the coach trips to away games.

I'm still amazed the police didn't stop the coach that went to Shrewsbury that time.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 19 Jul 2012 10:14

Royal Lady I think Reading Fans as a whole would like to think their thoughts were taken into consideration when a new kit is planned.

what if the majority of fans think- as long as its blue and white, im not sure i give a fook?
plus isnt it mainly down to whoever we have a shirt deal with?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 19 Jul 2012 13:10

melonhead
Royal Lady I think Reading Fans as a whole would like to think their thoughts were taken into consideration when a new kit is planned.

what if the majority of fans think- as long as its blue and white, im not sure i give a fook?
plus isnt it mainly down to whoever we have a shirt deal with?

With regard to the latter point, is the club the tail or the dog?

It seems that some of our suppliers (Compass being another) have massively powerful muscles in their tails!

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 19 Jul 2012 16:35

if no one bought the shirts, theyd change them

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 19 Jul 2012 16:48

melonhead if no one bought the shirts, theyd change them

Exactly Brendy. Everyone can moan as much as they like. The only was to hurt the club is financially. Moaning about it won't change a thing - people will still buy the shirt regardless unless you all vote with your wallets and not buy it.

Obviously the team who chose the kit has bad taste though....it's an abomination.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 19 Jul 2012 17:23

They'll continue to change them every year regardless.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 19 Jul 2012 18:21

Royal Biscuitman
They'll continue to change them every year regardless.

of course, to maximise teh revenue

but if reading fans really didnt like a shirt, and teh club only sold a few, theyd listen then.
the fact that loads are still sold, means people dont care in the main, so the club can and will continue to do what it wants

128 posts