RFC supporters on Radio 5 Live this Thursday evening

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RFC supporters on Radio 5 Live this Thursday evening

by STAR Liaison » 14 Aug 2012 14:42

Barry the bird boggler
Dirk Gently
3. I believed that STAR was slowly dying as an organisation through lack of new-blood coming through. STAR had never had an election and didn't have a membership which was properly representative of all Reading supporters. That's not down to STAR, as it represented its members, but that was a by-product of the fact that STAR's members primarily join to travel by coach (*). I felt STAR had never found a way to answer the question “I don’t travel by coach, why should I pay a tenner to join STAR?” - and that was damaging them as an organisation and shaping their policies in the wrong direction. I believe STAR needs to open its membership wider and cheaper (possibly via a zero-cost, e-membership, or maybe a very low-cost membership with "top-up" for "Travel membership") so that it will be more attractive to *all* Reading supporters. With a larger membership, it'll be more effective, more representative and it'll have a much larger talent-pool of people who will, hopefully, participate more.

That is an excellent idea and just what the organisation needs to bring fresh blood into the organisation. I'd even be happy to help administer such a scheme if it got the thumbs up.

As every members has a £1 share it cannot be a zero cost membership. And given the problems that the FSF have had following a zero cost membership, I personally would never advocate it and I certainly don't think that anyone should expect to get all the benefits at the expense of their fellow supporters. £10 is probably less than most spend per game after the match ticket so it is not exactly a fortune.

As far as commmunicating with non-members we experimented with an E-newsletter level of communication last season without much publicity as we wanted to see how it went from just website hits. I think it may well be publicised more this season as most of those subscribing have joined this season so presumably they got more from it than travel and fans forums as those weren't open to them. It is on the website on the right under sign up for our newsletter.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 14 Aug 2012 14:44

starliaison given the problems that the FSF have had following a zero cost membership, I personally would never advocate it

not aware of this.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 14 Aug 2012 14:46

starliaison
Royal Lady Tbf maybe it was advertised on the RFC official page, I don't know. But STAR were asked by the club to find fans who were interested in going - presumably so they could have the headache of receiving loads of emails or whatever rather than the club having to do anything. I don't agree, however, that should mean that only members of STAR are told about it, if that were the case.

See my first posting - it was the BBC who contacted me not the club, and we were asked to get an audience of our members. If you don't agree then blame the BBC not RFC of STAR

Taken from STAR website and reproduced as first post on here:

STAR were pleased to be asked by RFC and the BBC to arrange the 100 fans needed for the audience

Yellowcoat

by Yellowcoat » 14 Aug 2012 14:50

You can see why the BBC contacted STAR rather than the serial moaners on HNA.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 14 Aug 2012 14:50

Green
starliaison given the problems that the FSF have had following a zero cost membership, I personally would never advocate it

not aware of this.

As I understand it sponsorship is now difficult to get on the basis that if your members won't pay for it why should we? There has been talk of redundancies of the few employed, at the DCMS hearing recently it was mentioned and the PL seem reluctant to fund as they have in the past. Not saying they are right but I can understand it, as if it is free it seems not to be appreciated as much (see the many unused seats 'sold' for nothing for the torch party at Reading)

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 14 Aug 2012 14:51

Royal Lady
starliaison
Royal Lady Tbf maybe it was advertised on the RFC official page, I don't know. But STAR were asked by the club to find fans who were interested in going - presumably so they could have the headache of receiving loads of emails or whatever rather than the club having to do anything. I don't agree, however, that should mean that only members of STAR are told about it, if that were the case.

See my first posting - it was the BBC who contacted me not the club, and we were asked to get an audience of our members. If you don't agree then blame the BBC not RFC of STAR

Taken from STAR website and reproduced as first post on here:

STAR were pleased to be asked by RFC and the BBC to arrange the 100 fans needed for the audience

Sorry the webmaster got that wrong - I am the only one that got the email so I must have misled him.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 14 Aug 2012 15:01

At least lack of communication is consistent with STAR then! :wink:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 14 Aug 2012 15:03

Yellowcoat You can see why the BBC contacted STAR rather than the serial moaners on HNA.

LOL @ you piping up again suddenly.

I have no truck with the BBC, the club or whoever contacting STAR - my point was that perhaps it should not have been open only to STAR members, as STAR subsequently decided, by not informing a wider RFC supporting audience.

Yellowcoat

by Yellowcoat » 14 Aug 2012 15:05

Glad to see that you recognise yourself as a serial moaner.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 14 Aug 2012 15:08

I don't recall saying that I thought you were referring to me. :| I was merely explaining the reasoning behind my own comments. However, I have often admitted on here that I like a good moan. HAND.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 14 Aug 2012 21:09

Another shambles from STAR. It's hardly surprising is it...

M U R T Y

by M U R T Y » 14 Aug 2012 23:26

Hardly.

BBC contact RFC supporters trust to fill some seats with reading fans.
Supporters trust sends email to its members
Members of trust fill seats

Sounds like Star acted quickly and effectively to fill seats at short notice.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 15 Aug 2012 09:41

Dare to Dr£am
Dirk Gently
Big Foot £5 on Dirkers being involved somewhere along the route

You owe me £5.

Absolutely nothing to do with this. Didn't know anything about it and wouldn't have wanted to have anything to do with it if I had.

Really, or is that because your name isn't in the clubs good books at the moment? Some of your comments regarding TSI weren't appreciated earlier in the year.

I don't care in the slightest what the club's opinion of me is, and I'm not sure the club's control would reach that far, anyway - this is a BBC production via STAR, rather than something the club directly has. Anyway, I'm just one voice so I doubt I'm as prominent on their radar as you suggest.

The simple reason I'd not want to do it is I don't think I could bring myself to do all the happy-clappy, "oh, aren't we so lucky that little Reading are in the Premier League where everything's so wonderful" and "buzzin' for the new season" stuff that the BBC want and expect from this programme.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 16 Aug 2012 19:36

The STAR crowd shot is like the cutting room floor of Shaun of the Dead :shock:

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 16 Aug 2012 20:42

Dozy bird called Paula asks a question about whether football should be more like hockey, my STAR-dar went into overdrive..............

retro royal

by retro royal » 16 Aug 2012 20:47

These questions are getting quite embarrassing, do they know anything about RFC, or generally football

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 16 Aug 2012 21:18

Some of these questions/comments have been properly face palm worthy

At least the pundits have been decent

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 Aug 2012 21:24

What do you expect when only STAR members were invited? :roll:

biscuitman

by biscuitman » 16 Aug 2012 21:28

What do you expect when only STAR members were invited?

Decent questions from a bloody football supporters trust?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 Aug 2012 21:28

This is STAR we're talking about. :roll: