Have you ever been injured spectating at a match?

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

Re: Have you ever been injured spectating at a match?

by LWJ » 28 Nov 2014 09:21

Horsham Royal Kicked by a police horse after the Walsall playoff final.
Rounded the day off nicely.

I think I saw that :shock: Was it just outside the ground?

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 28 Nov 2014 10:20

Early 90's on the South Bank on a pretty rammed afternoon I had on a retro Adi track top nothing unusual round that time (Britpop wardrobe)
Pretty tense game but eventually we got the break through
Obviously as the ball hit the net everyone went mental and piled on top of each other,happy days
Happy days until about 3 minutes later when my mate couldn't understand where his cigarette had gone during the celebrations
The answer came within seconds as my track top started to go up in flames down my back
Minor burns luckily

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 28 Nov 2014 13:04

I'm aware of Floyders smashing his hand on the ceiling at Bramall Lane in Feb 2006 celebrating our equaliser. Bugger still moans about it now.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 30 Nov 2014 17:13

What about the fans who started fighting each-other at Millwall last season?

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 30 Nov 2014 17:31

Me and a few mates when to an away match at Southampton in December 2008.
It was a pretty uneventful match and we went a goal down and scored a late equaliser which was my mate got hurt. Celebrating the goal my mate climbed onto his seat and slipped off landing in a heap on the floor. A couple of stewards came rushing over to help him as we were just laughing at him. He kept repeating that he couldn't see and the stewards said they'd call a first aider over.............all of a sudden my mate blurted out that he couldn't find his glasses!

So No injury just missing his glasses!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 30 Nov 2014 18:04

Mr.Swainey What about the fans who started fighting each-other at Millwall last season?

Hi Kes.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 30 Nov 2014 19:45

one of our neighbours father was killed at a Rabson Rovers game after getting hit in the face by a ball. Long time ago but pretty sad!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 01 Dec 2014 13:44

Got hit by a ball on the Southbank in the early 80s - knocked my glasses sideways, but no resulting injury occurred, just my pride injured that I hadn't caught the ball. :oops:

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 09 Dec 2014 13:35

Rugby League Millennium Magic weekend in Cardiff 6 or 7 years back.

Pre match drinking was extensive, bit worse for wear in the ground where drinking was allowed in the seats. Tried to move 1 row down by climbing over seats holding my pint. Lost balance, stacked it embarrassingly slowly, tipped full pint all over myself and ripped my rib muscles in the process. Lots of children laughing at me. Ribs didn't recover for weeks, its bloody agony I can tell you. Pride still damaged.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 09 Dec 2014 13:59

Bruised ribs being crushed against one of the barriers on the South Bank (RIP). Think it was against oxf*rd Wanderers. May well have been Archie and his late double which fecked up Wolves' season. Amazing atmosphere that night! Agony afterwards tho.

M0J0

by M0J0 » 09 Dec 2014 14:13

I suffer some form of injury at most games just lately, severe depression. although this week it
was frozen depression.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 09 Dec 2014 18:27

A steward got knocked out at Ashton Gate during one of the goal celebrations during the 3-3 in 2003. We were stood in the gangway that ran along the back of the stand and he got floored by a flying fist during a particularly radio rental celebration. To be fair, the chief steward came along, realised it was a complete accident, and just said "if you score again, can you try and keep calm"! At many other grounds, I'm sure the stewards would have waded in.

One of the many reasons why Bristol City is the best away trip, bar none.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 10 Dec 2014 11:42

I once injured a kid at the Madejski Stadium - I was late for the game, game in the turnstyles with my glasses covered in raindrops and a small kid runs across in front of me with a fizzy drink and I catch her (I think it was a girl) with my feet tripping her up. I waved a steward over (to avoid a peado trap) and she said she was okay, then got up and ran back to the seat without taking the steward up on the offer to get her a new drink from the kiosk. :oops:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 10 Dec 2014 13:11

Jerry St Clair A steward got knocked out at Ashton Gate during one of the goal celebrations during the 3-3 in 2003. We were stood in the gangway that ran along the back of the stand and he got floored by a flying fist during a particularly radio rental celebration. To be fair, the chief steward came along, realised it was a complete accident, and just said "if you score again, can you try and keep calm"! At many other grounds, I'm sure the stewards would have waded in.

One of the many reasons why Bristol City is the best away trip, bar none.

Tell that to LWJ.

ArfnipIsARoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ArfnipIsARoyal » 10 Dec 2014 14:46

Green Aldershot when they threw rocks onto the away terrace.

Was at this one, I was stood behind goal first half and was hit by a pound coin, result! Moved to the side level with the goal line second half and some poor sod who stood where I was first half took a bit of concrete to the head.

ArfnipIsARoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ArfnipIsARoyal » 10 Dec 2014 14:50

Also hit by a few coins and a bottle of coke at Wolves in the playoffs, no pound coins though the tight pricks!

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 10 Dec 2014 15:53

ArfnipIsARoyal

Was at this one, I was stood behind goal first half and was hit by a pound coin, result! Moved to the side level with the goal line second half and some poor sod who stood where I was first half took a bit of concrete to the head.

What struck me about that was how unconcerned the stewards were, albeit there weren't many around.

ArfnipIsARoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ArfnipIsARoyal » 10 Dec 2014 16:04

Green
ArfnipIsARoyal

What struck me about that was how unconcerned the stewards were, albeit there weren't many around.

I seem to recall just the one steward sitting in between the two fences. When the Aldershot fans started climbing them he seemed to disappear out the exit at the back of the stand.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 10 Dec 2014 16:49

I was on the way to the stadium to watch the infamous 0-6 against Bristol Rovers. The walk to the ground was like a building site in places. I was chatting to a Rovers fan and stood on a half built wall so that I could jump off. I jumped off and sort of stumbled and fell over. The pain in my knee was incredible. To my credit, I carried on as if nothing had happened and talked to the Rovers guy. When I got home, I looked at the knee and there was an enormous cut on it, and it started to swell up on the next day. Luckily there was no lasting damage.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 10 Dec 2014 17:19

Ouch!

Did it need a plaster?