Safe standing end?

ladida_gunner_graham

Safe standing end?

by ladida_gunner_graham » 28 Apr 2015 16:23

Is there any discussion of, or appetite for, a safe standing end at the Mad Stad? The general lack of atmosphere could be improved and it also provide a cheaper option for those who may otherwise not go to the home games. Is this even an option in English football? Is it a conversation point within the club?

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Safe standing end?

by Geekins » 28 Apr 2015 16:26

Shouldn't you pick holes at the Emirates before you start attacking our fans?

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 28 Apr 2015 16:40

Safe standing has been shown to work in Germany, and I think we are edging closer to it over here.

I think there needs to be a common sense approach to it, such as age limits and warning signs, and reasonable safety disclaimers on the tickets.

Ultimately, fans will stand up at games regardless, so we may as well make it easier for that to happen.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Apr 2015 16:47

Club have said they are in favour but there are obvious legal and practical issues.
I would guess that if the law changes and if we expand the stadium it will include safe standing.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 28 Apr 2015 16:54

MoorgateRoyal Safe standing has been shown to work in Germany, and I think we are edging closer to it over here.

I think there needs to be a common sense approach to it, such as age limits and warning signs, and reasonable safety disclaimers on the tickets.

Ultimately, fans will stand up at games regardless, so we may as well make it easier for that to happen.

Or Dirk Gently perhaps?

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 28 Apr 2015 17:07

Green
MoorgateRoyal Safe standing has been shown to work in Germany, and I think we are edging closer to it over here.

Or Dirk Gently perhaps?

Not to my knowledge

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 28 Apr 2015 17:13

Genuine question - would a safe standing end have to be totally rebuilt at the Mad Stad given that it would (probably) over double the capacity of the said stand and it could withstand the weight?

Also - in the current position Reading are in - would a safe standing end make the other stands look very empty..........

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 28 Apr 2015 17:22

Club did release a statement when the discussion had more legs to it around the time Bristol City introduced it, can't be bothered to find it though.

Basically the club are in favour of safe standing and would want to implement it, but due to the increase in capacity to the stand it would pretty much need to be redesigned completely in order to ensure there are sufficient entry/exit points, aisles to the standing areas, toilet facilities, fire escapes, etc.

So yeah, this won't be happening for a long time I'd say... Unfortunately. :cry:

Lenny The Tramp

by Lenny The Tramp » 28 Apr 2015 17:30

https://twitter.com/safestandinguk

Sadly, can't see it happening at Reading. But we live in hope.

How about the corner areas of west north and west south? Wouldn't need to re-angle terrace as you'd not be in anyone's way standing up.

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 28 Apr 2015 17:43

I'd imagine it'd be the North or South stand to be honest, would make the most sense.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Apr 2015 17:46

No Fixed Abode Genuine question - would a safe standing end have to be totally rebuilt at the Mad Stad given that it would (probably) over double the capacity of the said stand and it could withstand the weight?

Also - in the current position Reading are in - would a safe standing end make the other stands look very empty..........

The answer to the first is obvious, given that safe standing doesn't necessarily increase capacity as every standing place has a seat associated. Plus the stands all have been built to take a doubling of capacity anyway.

The second is also pretty obvious given the answer to the first

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 28 Apr 2015 17:55

Nameless
No Fixed Abode Genuine question - would a safe standing end have to be totally rebuilt at the Mad Stad given that it would (probably) over double the capacity of the said stand and it could withstand the weight?

The answer to the first is obvious, given that safe standing doesn't necessarily increase capacity as every standing place has a seat associated. Plus the stands all have been built to take a doubling of capacity anyway.

The second is also pretty obvious given the answer to the first

Not sure where you got that idea from.. One of the major benefits to safe standing from a club perspective is the increase in revenue that accompanies the increase in capacity, so obviously they would want to increase the capacity.

http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/the-case-for-safe-standing/case-for-3

80% increase shown there.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Apr 2015 18:18

Fair enough, although it seems odd to expect 2 people to stand in each space . Does this mean they wouldn't go with the foldable seats model, just rip the seats out and stick crush barriers in ?

Effective answer is the same though, the foundations are plenty strong enough.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 28 Apr 2015 18:27

Don't think the weight would be the issue. Maybe the access and facilities (toilets, concourse space etc.) would be more likely to be a restriction on home many extra people could fit in.

ladida_gunner_graham

by ladida_gunner_graham » 28 Apr 2015 19:16

Geekins Shouldn't you pick holes at the Emirates before you start attacking our fans?

Oh dear. We do seem to have jumped to conclusions and gone in with both booties, don't we. I am not now, nor have I ever been, an Arsenal fan. I proudly hold a Reading season ticket. If I was an Arsenal fan, I'd be impressed how loud and raucous Reading fans were. I, on the other hand, feel it would be better if it were louder and more raucous.

biff

by biff » 28 Apr 2015 19:42

We've already got our version of the Yellow wall.

Nobby

by Nobby » 28 Apr 2015 22:31

I'd like to see the back of the North Stand turned into safe standing as a trial.

Grimsby look like doing it:

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Grims ... story.html

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 28 Apr 2015 23:07

Why exactly would they make the family zone the standing area? :roll:

biff

by biff » 29 Apr 2015 01:07

Walking into my gate in b16 feels more and more like ive paid for chicken and chips, a party bag and a 15 minute run around Charlie Chalks.

biff

by biff » 29 Apr 2015 01:08

LOOK AT HOW WELCOMING THIS STAND IS TO CHILDREN, JUST LOOK AT IT! ITS BLUE AND WHITE, LOOK AT THE NONCE DRESSED UP AS A LIONESS. ARENT MATCHDAYS FUN! GOOD TIMES NEVER SEEMED SO GOOD.