Thai owners

305 posts
strap
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Thai owners

by strap » 30 Nov 2016 13:39

strap
Royal Lady More like they saw the land and £££ signs flashed in front of their eyes.

Bingo!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38156711

"Current owners Lady Sasima Srivikorn, Sumrith Thanakarnjanasuth and Narin Niruttinanon took control of the Championship club in September 2014.

Any deal with Yongge and Xiu Li would see the Thais retain ownership of land around the club's Madejski Stadium, currently earmarked for redevelopment, as well as the Millennium Madejski Hotel.

But the current owners are looking to sell the stadium, the club and the training ground."

'Twas always their intention. Sadly RFC shafted yet again.

Wonder how much profit they will make for themselves?
Wonder how long it will be before the entire stretch of land from the A33 to Green Park station is developed - and suddenly the football ground is a nuisance and clarion calls will be made to move it somewhere where it won't impact its surrounding neighbours - the callers of course conveniently forgetting that without the football club clearing up the rubbish tip and making significant contributions to the surrounding road network in the first place, said stretch of land would not have even been "developable".
Wonder how long the Chinese will hang around for?
Wonder what they see as their profit generator in the club?
Wonder who they will sell out to in 18-24 months time?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Nov 2016 13:53

If stabling the club, putting together a reasonable squad and what appears to be excellent backroom operations means we have been shafted.

I will take that every time.

They haven't walked away today without anyone to come in, they are in the process of selling the club to new investors (they never hid the fact they needed more investment). If the deal doesn't come off, the Thai's will still be the owners.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Nov 2016 14:24

Reading FC fan in histrionics shocker

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 30 Nov 2016 16:05

If stabling the club, putting together a reasonable squad and what appears to be excellent backroom operations means we have been shafted.

^^^^^^this

and add acquired 15 million pound in funding for the club for the sale of a patch of waste ground to that

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Nov 2016 16:54

Interesting idea from Strap. I wonder if it has been considered ?
Given the concerns about transport links at the Madejski, might a relocation be a sensible option ?
Is there a site with better public transport links, better road connections and enough land for all the car parking that might be needed ?
Have we developed enough of a history at the Madejski to make a move impossible or would it be realistic to include the stadium site in the REP development and build a new, slightly enlarged stadium somewhere else ?

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 30 Nov 2016 20:20

Maneki Neko

^^^^^^this

and add acquired 15 million pound in funding for the club for the sale of a patch of waste ground to that

Bit like the Russian then.

Whats this 15million going into the club from waste ground.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Nov 2016 21:32

Harpers So Solid Crew
Maneki Neko

^^^^^^this

Bit like the Russian then.

Whats this 15million going into the club from waste ground.

You obviously missed the discussion about selling the car park...

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 02 Dec 2016 09:34

No one is in this for the football or good of the town anymore - Chinese investment is dodgy as fook imo - Anton used club for money laundering and taking what he could, Thais only want to make money with redeveloping the site, Chinese probably money laundering too. You get what you wish for, as I said as soon as Anton's name was touted around.

It's very worrying but not a lot we can do I suppose. :cry:

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 02 Dec 2016 10:07

serves anyone who boo'd madejski or sung daft - wheres all the money gone- songs at him right.
this is exactly what they deserve. unfortunately, its really not what us loyal intelligent fans deserve at all.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 02 Dec 2016 11:06

Royal Lady No one is in this for the football or good of the town anymore - Chinese investment is dodgy as fook imo - Anton used club for money laundering and taking what he could, Thais only want to make money with redeveloping the site, Chinese probably money laundering too. You get what you wish for, as I said as soon as Anton's name was touted around.

If the Thais only wanted to make money on the land, why bother to change managers three times, and give them all a sizeable budget for players? This wouldn't alter the land value, surely.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 02 Dec 2016 11:32

Hampshire Royal
Royal Lady No one is in this for the football or good of the town anymore - Chinese investment is dodgy as fook imo - Anton used club for money laundering and taking what he could, Thais only want to make money with redeveloping the site, Chinese probably money laundering too. You get what you wish for, as I said as soon as Anton's name was touted around.

If the Thais only wanted to make money on the land, why bother to change managers three times, and give them all a sizeable budget for players? This wouldn't alter the land value, surely.

no but it would affect the resale value of the club, we are worth more now sat in third than we were when they bought us. speculate to accumulate. To be honest they have not thrown vast quantities of money at the club just reinvested the money player sales have made. so very shrewd business.

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 02 Dec 2016 11:35

The fact is that they are the owners and can do what they like, the fact that the consortium control all of the shares in the club mean if they all decide to sell up that's it. If you look at Arsenal, who have had a power struggle for years over the controlling stake of the club, because they have so many different share owners with differing opinions, a complete sale and change of ownership is unlikely to happen anytime soon, with a consortium like ours it was only going to be a matter of time before at least one of them wanted their money back.

The difficulties are with the Chinese consortium (again the c word), it will be a very similar picture, they will be around for as long as they want. They may not even pass the fit and proper test after what happened at Hull.

If they come in, pay off the debt and pay for the training ground with added funds for players no one will batter an eyelid, if they come in and borrow against the club and offer limit funds then it will be a similar story to the last two takeover approaches. The real story here is unless like other clubs we find that million/billionaire that wants to treat Reading FC as a hobby then everything will be a similar story...

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 02 Dec 2016 11:50

linkenholtroyal
Hampshire Royal

no but it would affect the resale value of the club, we are worth more now sat in third than we were when they bought us. speculate to accumulate. To be honest they have not thrown vast quantities of money at the club just reinvested the money player sales have made. so very shrewd business.

It's true that they have (possibly by accident) created a club that is relatively successful and with potential to be even more successful. Having done this they may have got a higher price. Good luck to them, I say!!
If the Chinese wanted simply to launder money or develop the site, they would have had to pay more.

You never know, what with football being insanely popular in China, maybe the Chines Group want to make us into a top club. If that's the case, then, as far as I can see, the worst thing they could do is to appoint a Chinese manager who would sign Chinese players

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 05 Dec 2016 12:43

Hampshire Royal
linkenholtroyal
Hampshire Royal

It's true that they have (possibly by accident) created a club that is relatively successful and with potential to be even more successful. Having done this they may have got a higher price. Good luck to them, I say!!
If the Chinese wanted simply to launder money or develop the site, they would have had to pay more.

You never know, what with football being insanely popular in China, maybe the Chines Group want to make us into a top club. If that's the case, then, as far as I can see, the worst thing they could do is to appoint a Chinese manager who would sign Chinese players

Like the Russian one who bought Russian players.

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 05 Dec 2016 16:38

So here's some things I know.

- Chinese are definitely a go ahead. Advanced talks mean advanced talks. Thais will sell quickly if it works for them. Chinese will buy quickly if it works for them.

- It's not the same consortium as Hull - it's the "big two" - this brother and sister (who's names I cba to google), but with Hull, there were "others" who failed the premier leagues money checks.

- Lady Sass doesn't get to watch many of the games, and spends too long over in Thailand. Basically she's lost her passion for it. That's why she wants out. Also she's 600 years old, so it's about time that she gave it up.

- Something I've not seen mentioned anywhere else - APPARENTLY - Reading Council aren't happy with the idea of RFC splitting into 2 parts with 2 different sets of owners - They like the club being one package (stadium, team, land, training facilities, hotel etc etc). Interested parties are apparently sitting down and working out if the ruddy Council can kick off enough to actually spoil the takeover. I'm not sure they can, and correct me if I'm wrong, surely the council can't block that kind of thing - if the actual owners want to split it all up?

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 05 Dec 2016 18:23

Council could certainly make things difficult.

Refusing to grant a premesis licence on the 'new' site for example would severely dent any development options.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Dec 2016 19:28

Exactly. Council can do sod all about how the club changes ownership but if any planning permission is still required on REP I believe they could insist on clauses that would ensure club, land etc. remain as one so to speak.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 05 Dec 2016 20:17

Rollerbob So here's some things I know.

- Chinese are definitely a go ahead. Advanced talks mean advanced talks. Thais will sell quickly if it works for them. Chinese will buy quickly if it works for them.

- It's not the same consortium as Hull - it's the "big two" - this brother and sister (who's names I cba to google), but with Hull, there were "others" who failed the premier leagues money checks.

- Lady Sass doesn't get to watch many of the games, and spends too long over in Thailand. Basically she's lost her passion for it. That's why she wants out. Also she's 600 years old, so it's about time that she gave it up.

- Something I've not seen mentioned anywhere else - APPARENTLY - Reading Council aren't happy with the idea of RFC splitting into 2 parts with 2 different sets of owners - They like the club being one package (stadium, team, land, training facilities, hotel etc etc). Interested parties are apparently sitting down and working out if the ruddy Council can kick off enough to actually spoil the takeover. I'm not sure they can, and correct me if I'm wrong, surely the council can't block that kind of thing - if the actual owners want to split it all up?

The council can't stop the owners selling to anyone they want to. But, if planning permission has been granted and the owners stated in their application, that the Football Club would benefit from the revenue stream after development is up and running, maybe the permission could be rescinded on the grounds that false information was given to the Council. This is only based on my opinion and I may be completely wrong . Anyone know any better?

multisync1830
Hob Nob Regular

by multisync1830 » 05 Dec 2016 20:51

Rollerbob So here's some things I know.

To clarify one point, the hotel is nothing to do with rfc. They share one owner Lady S but that is all. Not major but the prescient is already set

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 06 Dec 2016 10:37

Hampshire Royal

+1
They are investing in the club in the same way a farmer invests in food to fatten up his turkeys for Christmas, to reap the rewards - be they financial or intangible things like publicity. Plus I doubt Lady Sasima writes a catchy pop song about all of her investments, I think she was/is in it for more than a quick property flip.

305 posts