PA announcer

498 posts
Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

Re: PA announcer

by Maneki Neko » 14 Sep 2016 17:10

Mr Optimist I don't know what it is but playing Sweet Caroline i find incredibly cringeworthy and embarrassing. It's not even played in an ironic way like the Terry and June theme tune used to be.

I would rather we played Kevin Girdlers "anthem" than some 70s country cheese like Neil Facking Diamond.

Touching you... Touching me, just Fack off

youll never please everyone

especially when everyone included you

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 14 Sep 2016 17:31

Maneki Neko
Mr Optimist Touching you... Touching me

Seems like you should be able to if you are touching the right places.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 14 Sep 2016 17:39

I think he is touched, and I am touched too that he responded to my comment. Nothing wrong with touching unless you are wearing a gold tracksuit, I just dont want to listen to Neil Diamond songs when I go to the football.

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 14 Sep 2016 18:21

The current PA announcer is a bell end.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Sep 2016 21:09

Maneki Neko
Mr Optimist I don't know what it is but playing Sweet Caroline i find incredibly cringeworthy and embarrassing. It's not even played in an ironic way like the Terry and June theme tune used to be.

I would rather we played Kevin Girdlers "anthem" than some 70s country cheese like Neil Facking Diamond.

It's not just about liking it though... it's about whether the rhythm and tempo of the song actually fit the purpose of a rousing pre kick off rally cry. It doesn't.

sit quietly and passively mumble mumble mumble sweet caroLINE DA DA DOOO mumble mumble mumble sit quietly and passive again.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Sep 2016 21:39

Maneki Neko

Mr Optimist living up to his name there.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 15 Sep 2016 10:34

everyone likes different things.
maybe the club could pipe individual prefootball playlists into headphones jacked in at every seat

for every optimist and ian royal, theres someone who likes it.

personally I agree- its a bit of a shit song, and im not sure theres a need to even have a song, but the club get criticised for whatever they try to do to help with atmosphere, and I take the view that while in an ideal world we wouldn't need piped in songs, or stadium announcers because the football was so entertaining and successful and our fans so loud and enthusiastic that the atmosphere generated itself, I realise that this isn't the case, so im not going to berate the club for trying.

unfortunately, at the same time that the club has gone all out to attract families and new fans, weve also had a sustained period of shitness, and this has resulted in a massive down turn in atmosphere.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 15 Sep 2016 10:58

Maneki Neko

Forever in blue jeans would have been so much better than that played out social club party tune, Sweet Caroline.

biff

by biff » 15 Sep 2016 11:38

Sweet Caroline, for spastics, by spastics.

"BRING IT ON"!

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Sep 2016 11:45

I don't mind SC tbf, as long as it's timed correctly before kick off. I don't think we need it before the second half either.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 04 Oct 2016 10:53

genome I don't mind SC tbf, as long as it's timed correctly before kick off. I don't think we need it before the second half either.
+1
Maybe play it after the final whistle (not immediately after) as something to listen to as we walk down the hill/back to the buses.

Now, if they could get the countdown them to play and time it 100% right so the ref blows his whistle at the end I would be in favour of that.... for one match only.

How hard can it be to play a song that ends at 3pm? or at worse, gets stopped at 3pm?

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 11 Oct 2016 13:51

Perhaps the referee needs to wait for the DJ before bringing the players out.

As much as the DJ can time a song to finish at 2:58, that's not much cop if the ref trundles out 30 seconds later.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 11 Oct 2016 14:03

It's more starting the song in the right place so we at least get a chorus in before the kick off. So if the ref is ready to go, just give us a few bars of the bridge. A couple of times we've had the players ready to go and he starts it at the verse and has to turn it off and it ends up being weird.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 11 Oct 2016 15:03

Nothing worse than when they come out half way through the middle eight

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 11 Oct 2016 23:25

I don't mind Sweet Caroline. Amazing for a town with such a massive festival we have such little musical inspiration for our club :lol:

Im just not keen on zombie nation as the goal music?! Whose idea was that?!

Might as well go the whole hog and get the players running out busting shapes to Tiesto Dutch trance techno oosh oosh

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Oct 2016 06:31

I reckon they should use Tubular Bells. Starting about 2:10 and the players can come out at 2:58 to the strains of the Sailor's Hornpipe. Added advantage of being by a musician who grew up within half a mile of Elm Park.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Oct 2016 09:27

Nah I reckon they should come out to Dream Theater's Octavarium; starting it at 2:36pm, and kicking off right on the last note of the final guitar solo.

No connection to the club, but it would just be epic.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 13 Oct 2016 10:35

Nah, they should come out to the Benny Hill Theme with Kingsley and a host of random characters chasing them out of the tunnel.

498 posts