Who do we consider our rivals?

OldBiscuit

Re: Who do we consider our rivals?

by OldBiscuit » 29 Aug 2015 00:44

floyd__streete
West Stand Man Personally I consider our rivals to be the other 23 teams in the league.

+1.

H8ing peopl

Whether people like your opinions or not, you come over as a rational thinking person........... And then this!

Hong Kong Phooey

by Hong Kong Phooey » 29 Aug 2015 00:51

Aldershot - great away day.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 29 Aug 2015 08:02

100% Aldershot
They may have changed name but they have the same fans.
That Easter game when we stuffed them 4-0 at Elm Park is up there with memorable games I have seen over the years.

Their ground (The Wreck) is a total dump and I from what I gather it has not changed since I last went there, yonks ago!

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 29 Aug 2015 08:49

Lacoste
Green The world is shrinking but I'm not sure that alone has much of an impact.

The train journey to Bristol is probably as long as it was in the 70s, and probably a damn sight more expensive. The fact you can eat authentic Japanese food when you get there is beside the point I feel.

Aldershot, it's always been Aldershot.

Swindon and Oxford don't care about our rivalry at all.

Aldershot still sing anti Reading songs from the terraces.

It's Aldershot and if we ever played them again, it would be carnage. They still come looking after an away day if they pass through Reading.

Carnage :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Aug 2015 10:47

Will it still be Aldershot in 30 years when we're still at least two divisions above them, haven't played them for 50 years and most the people who remember the rivalry are dead or losing their marbles?

I'd suggest that virtually everyone under the age of about 40 don't give much of a toss about Aldershot.

It's Swindon on the local front for me, but even time and lack of games has dulled the edge to the point i couldn't really give 2 shits about them now. We're just too superior.

All about grudge matches now with the likes of West Ham, Pompey (that'll quickly fade), Leeds, QPR and maybe Wolves if they act the kant again soon.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Aug 2015 14:30

To be honest rivals are those clubs who are either close together geographically or where something has happened in a game or something that for some reason causes it to all "kick off" (example of the latter would be Palace/Brighton and Wycombe/Colchester)

Reading always will have a "rivalry" with Aldershot because, at the time, that was "our" local derby.

This is despite the fact we also played Brentford and Watford and QPR and Swindon regularly at the same time but for some reason the "rivalry" developed there (I suppose Watford had Luton and QPR had Brentford and Swindon got involved with the Bristol clubs)

Personally I miss not having a sort of proper derby, yes these days we play M4 clubs (Bristol City, Cardiff, Swansea) and the local "West London" types of Brentford, QPR, Fulham plus Watford but nothing ever develops on that which is a shame

Out of all the clubs we're playing now I would say the closest we have is QPR as they copied our kit and due to the shenanigans over their general avoidance of any FFP sanctions and just because their ground is so crap (wish we had a crap ground like that though :D )

Closest club to us though is Wycombe but I guess we see them as a younger brother/sister and unless we spend many seasons together in the same division nothing more will develop there.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 29 Aug 2015 16:06

OldBiscuit
floyd__streete
West Stand Man Personally I consider our rivals to be the other 23 teams in the league.

+1.

H8ing peopl

Whether people like your opinions or not, you come over as a rational thinking person........... And then this!

So you think that the other 23 teams in the Championship aren't our rivals? Odd concept.

Stabilo Boss

by Stabilo Boss » 29 Aug 2015 20:34

I am under 40.

I couldn't give two hoots about Aldershot,Oxford or Swindon.

For me, it's West Ham, Wolves & Leeds - just a personal distaste for these three. Maybe include Brighton to this.

MeMeMe

by MeMeMe » 29 Aug 2015 20:50

PistolPete

Does school start again soon?

What a weird reply.

I'd add Leeds slightly, the kicking they've given our players (Karacan) adds a bit of spice. But yeah, shame we have no major rivalry these days.

Fulham and Brentford are relatively are close, but there's no rivalry...

It will sound weird if you are under 15 !

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Aug 2015 22:03

West Stand Man
OldBiscuit
floyd__streete
+1.

H8ing peopl

So you think that the other 23 teams in the Championship aren't our rivals? Odd concept.

I think they're our competitors, I have no beef with most of them.

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 30 Aug 2015 08:50

Ian Royal Will it still be Aldershot in 30 years when we're still at least two divisions above them, haven't played them for 50 years and most the people who remember the rivalry are dead or losing their marbles?

I'd suggest that virtually everyone under the age of about 40 don't give much of a toss about Aldershot.

It's Swindon on the local front for me, but even time and lack of games has dulled the edge to the point i couldn't really give 2 shits about them now. We're just too superior.

All about grudge matches now with the likes of West Ham, Pompey (that'll quickly fade), Leeds, QPR and maybe Wolves if they act the kant again soon.

19 and despise them. They may be dead or mental, but when they were alive and sane and got their children into football, they probably passed on a little piece of that hatred. When my generation dies, we might be closer to losing the hatred!

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 30 Aug 2015 09:32

Possibly a bit geographical as living in Sandhurst/Yateley, we are nearer but it has and always will be Aldershot. A Coy dream about the day we come to town....

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 30 Aug 2015 15:54

Have to say I agree with Floyd, a man who would never irrationally hate anything.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 30 Aug 2015 17:06

Ian Royal Will it still be Aldershot in 30 years when we're still at least two divisions above them, haven't played them for 50 years and most the people who remember the rivalry are dead or losing their marbles?

Well I've never been to a Reading vs Aldershot game or even been to their ground yet I still would consider them to be rivals although probably in a totally different way to an older fan or someone who has been to the games in the past.

I think a of the rivalries re-emerge when the fixture comes round again, e.g. if we ever do play Swindon in a competitive match, you can bet that it would be a heated match and well attended.

I also enjoy games against Leeds, Pompey, QPR, West Ham, Brighton and Watford mostly as they are local games (except Leeds) but also as some of those clubs are similar to us and have in the past had really good games with them

boycey

by boycey » 30 Aug 2015 17:13

Wokingham v aldershot in the 90's was lively.....
Fore!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 31 Aug 2015 10:53

Been a supporter since 93 and the only time I've been to Aldershot was when our reserves played their home games there.

JIM

by JIM » 31 Aug 2015 11:48

ammers nd rangers for me too. Both grounds would make good multi story car parks

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 01 Sep 2015 15:10

I live 5mins from Aldershot so actually have a soft spot for them.

The town itself is a crock of shit though.

Glory Boy

by Glory Boy » 02 Sep 2015 10:17

Royality creeps In 100% Aldershot
That Easter game when we stuffed them 4-0 at Elm Park is up there with memorable games I have seen over the years.

Their ground (The Wreck) is a total dump and I from what I gather it has not changed since I last went there, yonks ago!

They literally have the same fans since the 70's and it shows. Cannot agree the Wreck is a dump. Sure it looks old and dilapidated but a great atmosphere can be generated even when there is only 2.5k in the ground. Hell of a lot more vociferous support than either Swindon or Oxford. Would prefer to play Aldershot over those clubs any day. Might go and see one of their games v Woking over Christmas.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 02 Sep 2015 10:49

Royality creeps In 100% Aldershot

I wish SpaceCrusier was still around to see this