Royal Elm Park

587 posts
Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Royal Elm Park

by Silver Fox » 09 Oct 2015 12:25

Coppelled_Streets
Green I wonder how much of a market there is for it really.

What sort of attendances do Bracknell Bees get?

Nice local derby right there!

I'd like to think that if the thais want a hockey team they'll go str8 for a premier league franchise, however that works. Otherwise don't be surprised if the Bees move to the 'ding. The John Nike isn't a good facility so brand new ice just down the road would be very tempting

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Oct 2015 12:41

Sutekh
Platypuss
Humanistic Looking at the picture of the surrouding area on the OS, where exactly is the parcel of land that will be developed? Where the indoor training dome currently is?

Yep. And the car park.

What will happen to the garden of remembrance :shock:

It's been forgotten.....

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 Oct 2015 12:45

Basingstoke Bison regularly get crowds over a thousand week in week out.

Ice Hockey fails when clubs have to much ambition and throw money at it only for the plug to be pulled.

Look forward to some derby battles between the Bison and the Rottweiler's.

Lenny The Tramp

by Lenny The Tramp » 09 Oct 2015 13:33

So, they're going to replace a great facility for the local area's most popular sport that's always booked out and requires little maintenance with something that's going to cost a fortune to build, a lot more to maintain … and provides some ice skating? You sure they've done the sums?

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 09 Oct 2015 13:34

Stuka A large mock-Victorian pub with plenty of cask conditioned real ale, Reading FC memorabilia and vegetarian food options please.

Maybe a darts team. Got to work hard to bring in the punters mid week at that location.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 09 Oct 2015 13:38

Green
Stuka A large mock-Victorian pub with plenty of cask conditioned real ale, Reading FC memorabilia and vegetarian food options please.

Maybe a darts team. Got to work hard to bring in the punters mid week at that location.

If the mountain will not come to Muhammad, then Muhammad must go to the mountain.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Oct 2015 14:42

Lenny The Tramp So, they're going to replace a great facility for the local area's most popular sport that's always booked out and requires little maintenance with something that's going to cost a fortune to build, a lot more to maintain … and provides some ice skating? You sure they've done the sums?

Suspect so.
Doubt the Dome does much more than cover it's costs. If they could persuade a few thousand people to pay a tenner to watch some old guys puff round a 5 a side pitch it might be different. An ice rink will probably do a lot more than just host ice skating.
Isn't the Dome moving to Bearwood ?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Oct 2015 16:30

Nameless
Lenny The Tramp So, they're going to replace a great facility for the local area's most popular sport that's always booked out and requires little maintenance with something that's going to cost a fortune to build, a lot more to maintain … and provides some ice skating? You sure they've done the sums?

Suspect so.
Doubt the Dome does much more than cover it's costs. If they could persuade a few thousand people to pay a tenner to watch some old guys puff round a 5 a side pitch it might be different. An ice rink will probably do a lot more than just host ice skating.

Yep, that's my understanding. New facility opening at Bearwood.

Of course whether the public would be able to make use of it there is another matter.

loyalroyaldaz

by loyalroyaldaz » 09 Oct 2015 21:51

Dave-Royal I am a mad ice hockey. fan.

For once i agree with you

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 09 Oct 2015 22:56

Nope, we're getting a figure skating team instead.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 10 Oct 2015 08:39

Nameless

Suspect so.

It is amazing quite how many people will routinely pay to skate around and around for an hour or so. I suspect the ice rink will be a real winner. The town could also do with an indoor tennis club (not my cup of tea but it does attract a lot of people if the Swindon David Lloyd is anything to go by- that has a few indoor courts, a couple of out door ones, a swimming pool, gym and health spa)

ArfnipIsARoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ArfnipIsARoyal » 10 Oct 2015 10:17

Silver Fox
Coppelled_Streets

Nice local derby right there!

I'd like to think that if the thais want a hockey team they'll go str8 for a premier league franchise, however that works. Otherwise don't be surprised if the Bees move to the 'ding. The John Nike isn't a good facility so brand new ice just down the road would be very tempting

I've watched the Bees quite alot over the past 15+ years. When you look at the end of the 90's beginning of the 00's, Bees were a Superleague (now called Elite League) team. They could pull in 2000+ in their prime. Locals games, especially against London Knights would see nearer the 3,000 mark as one season they were the two top teams in the country.

I could see Reading sustaining an Elite League team, I know financially hockey doesn't draw in millions of pounds in profit but if done properly it could easily turn some profit whilst also bringing extra revenue to the shops and other facilities locally.

I know the Bees have done some promotional work with Reading in previous years, discounted tickets etc, but it would be interesting to see if an official tie in with a new 'Franchise' in Reading would be on the cards. There is rumours a London team are due to start so a local(ish) Elite team and with many other local teams in the second tier of hockey (Bracknell, Swindon, Basingstoke, Guildford), there would be a local pool of talent to attract.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 10 Oct 2015 10:40

oxf*rd ice hockey, get the speedway back.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 11 Oct 2015 13:03

Perhaps Anton Zingaravich fancies investing in an ice hockey team?

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 12 Oct 2015 13:30

I said ages ago the town needed an Ice Rink. I thank you. 8)

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 12 Oct 2015 23:35

Of all the things the land could have been used for.... a fcuking ice rink :roll: :roll:

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 13 Oct 2015 09:50

blueroyals Of all the things the land could have been used for.... a fcuking ice rink :roll: :roll:

Just out of interest, what other facility would you have there that will bring in the £'s to boost the football clubs coffers?

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 13 Oct 2015 09:51

(more) flats and retail space would probably maximise return.

I'm all for the ice rink but it's hardly a get rich quick scheme. Even with the exorbitant fees these places charge for skate hire.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 13 Oct 2015 10:08

There's popcorn sales too....

But surely it's going to be a flexible space, ice rink one day, basketball the next, swap to a concert venue then an exhibition space.

Flats might be a short term earner but once you've sold them that's it.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 13 Oct 2015 10:24

Nameless Flats might be a short term earner but once you've sold them that's it.

Well no that's not "it", you've made a fortune which you then invest somewhere else, ad infinitum.

Meanwhile you're struggling to even cover overheads on a venue which is used at best twice a week.

587 posts