Royal Elm Park

587 posts
glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

Re: Royal Elm Park

by glass half full » 13 Oct 2015 10:38

Reading desperately needs a decent swimming pool. How many talented and ambitious swimmers have to go to places like Southampton for suitable facilities?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 13 Oct 2015 10:40

They've clearly not even thought about this have they !
Where do you get the figure of 'twice a week' for the usage ?
I'm sure places like the NEC, Edexel etc get a bit more than that.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 13 Oct 2015 10:44

I'm sure they do. Not sure how useful that is a comparison to what you're pitching though - which by the sounds of it wouldn't even be a Telford International arena.

My original point was merely that from a pure returns point of view this not may be the best option - however it may be vital to get planning permission.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 13 Oct 2015 10:56

I'm not sure picking individual elements is that useful either. The thing is a package - they aren't just plonking an ice rink on the site they're putting in space that can be used flexibly so they can maximise usage. You are right, there is no way they would get planning permission to just stack hundreds of flats on the site (in addition to the hundreds already included).
You have to assume that they have done their research and worked out the best combination of uses. Personally I have no interest in an ice rink and am not really convinced it's something the great Reading Public is crying out for. I'd probably have gone for a proper theatre, an arty cinema, works spaces for artists etc and made it a bit of a different location but doubt that would be a money spinner.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 13 Oct 2015 13:30

Green (more) flats and retail space would probably maximise return.

I'm all for the ice rink but it's hardly a get rich quick scheme. Even with the exorbitant fees these places charge for skate hire.

Indeed, but it is a regular income stream which is what the new owners want and said the football club needs, otherwise in a few years we would be looking for new owners again. Investing in retail/flats wont bring in a great deal of rent in comparison to a leisure facility that will get a lot of use. I think it's win-win for the town and for the club, but yes there may be better options to maximise income; however it's not so easy to identify what.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 13 Oct 2015 16:30

Regular income stream?

10 rinks have closed in the last decade.
National Ice Skating Association Over the last 10 years we've probably lost 10 rinks and only two have been replaced, with the new facilities at Nottingham and Sheffield," Keith Horton, the NISA's general secretary, said. "Nottingham and Sheffield are fabulous ice centres, but cutting down from 70 to 60 ice rinks inevitably has its effect on the sport.

The lofty days of Torvill and Dean are long gone pal.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 13 Oct 2015 18:44

At least Focher can refer to it as Royal Helm Park.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Oct 2015 09:35

glass half full Reading desperately needs a decent swimming pool. How many talented and ambitious swimmers have to go to places like Southampton for suitable facilities?

I thought Bracknell had the "swimming pool" for the area. Mind you like everything else in Bracknell it probably hasn't been state of the art since 1967

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 14 Oct 2015 16:45

At the ice rink in Norwich I noticed that there was a big chocolate fountain operating for people to buy what I assumed was liquid chocolate having skated around in the cold for half an hour or so.

I certainly think this is worth considering to maximise income which could then be paid to the football club.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 14 Oct 2015 17:19

glass half full Reading desperately needs a decent swimming pool. How many talented and ambitious swimmers have to go to places like Southampton for suitable facilities?

RBC had the chance to build a decent swimming pool when Rivermead was built. We ended up with a 'fun' pool and a shit one at that. Typical RBC.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 14 Oct 2015 17:20

blueroyals Of all the things the land could have been used for.... a fcuking ice rink :roll: :roll:

Why not? The town could have their own Ice Hockey team and kids will love it.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Oct 2015 17:23

No Fixed Abode
blueroyals Of all the things the land could have been used for.... a fcuking ice rink :roll: :roll:

Why not? The town could have their own Ice Hockey team and kids will love it.

Plus we could have events like.....

.......... oh well, perhaps it's not such a good idea then

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Oct 2015 17:56

No Fixed Abode

RBC had the chance to build a decent swimming pool when Rivermead was built. We ended up with a 'fun' pool and a shit one at that. Typical RBC.

That slide is worth more than an Olympic pool.

Astros

by Astros » 14 Oct 2015 19:54

Surely the only consideration is bring speedway and the dogs back to Reading traditional local sports that have put the town on the sporting map over the years along side the footie.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 14 Oct 2015 21:07

Astros Surely the only consideration is bring speedway and the dogs back to Reading traditional local sports that have put the town on the sporting map over the years along side the footie.

Oh, for the heady, halcyon days of Anders Michanek and Reading Racers.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 14 Oct 2015 22:27

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Astros Surely the only consideration is bring speedway and the dogs back to Reading traditional local sports that have put the town on the sporting map over the years along side the footie.

Oh, for the heady, halcyon days of Anders Michanek and Reading Racers.

I'll see your Anders Michanek and raise you a Per Jonsson

Astros

by Astros » 14 Oct 2015 23:06

Great riders and happy memories and that is without mentioning Dave Jessup, John Davis , Jan Anderson, British league titles and cups come on Thais bring back the Racers.

semtex1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The sneering condescension of the remain ultras.....

by semtex1871 » 15 Oct 2015 08:58

Astros Great riders and happy memories and that is without mentioning Dave Jessup, John Davis , Jan Anderson, British league titles and cups come on Thais bring back the Lacers.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 15 Oct 2015 10:26

Astros Great riders and happy memories and that is without mentioning Dave Jessup, John Davis , Jan Anderson, British league titles and cups come on Thais bring back the Racers.

how could you possibly forget the great armando castagna

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Oct 2015 15:16

Website for the proposal here

http://royalelmpark.com

ALL the current car park and dome space will be replaced with the proposed Convention/Concert/Event centre, housing, multi-storey parking.

If planning permission granted then work could begin in 2016 with the first part (Convention/Concert/Event centre) being ready in 2018.

Housing to be phased in by 2021

:shock:

Personally I cannot see why there would be any objection to this from anyone. Park and Ride could still operate from the multi-storey. Only possible objection might be from the council on the additional housing and therefore the infrastructure that would be needed to support it.

587 posts