Away fans farther from the pitch

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

Away fans farther from the pitch

by royalp-we » 05 Dec 2015 12:49

The recent games at the Mad Stad we have housed the away fans further back in the South stand, keeping the front section completely free of fans. I presume this is to keep their supporters off our keepers case, whilst not allowing an overspill on to the pitch when we are scored against.

Purely innocent due to ticket sales, a club policy or something Clarke brought in? Does anyone know?

ILoveMoonPig

Re: Away fans farther from the pitch

by ILoveMoonPig » 05 Dec 2015 13:22

I've noticed this too, but i recall it happening for a few seasons now. I know they have to keep the rows in front of the disabled seating free and had assumed it was related, but your point makes more sense. Probably stands to reason that any projectiles thrown would be less likely to hit any players.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 05 Dec 2015 14:25

I don't like it, looks shit on TV and most of them have travelled a distance, at least give them a choice where to sit. We'll be getting similar treatment at MK Dons asr Karl Robinson got the away fans shifted to the upper tier to minimise the away support.

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 05 Dec 2015 20:04

This was bought in this season as a Steve Clarke policy I have been told. He did not like the away fans sitting close to the keeper when we defended the away end.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 05 Dec 2015 20:07

Loads of other clubs are doing it, look at Boro moving fans into the corner. I don't have a problem, I'd be happy if the away fans were put in Y25-R29 so that they're never behind the goal. I know it's logistically difficult and all that, but it would be good having two ends available for home fans, with away fans put out of the way.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 06 Dec 2015 11:11

Newcastle is the worst by a mile.

Clubs shouldn't be allowed to do this. Away supporters should be housed somewhere adjacent to the pitch (unless physically impossible).

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 06 Dec 2015 12:49

Another nail in the atmosphere that so many claim is missing in football today.

ArfnipIsARoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ArfnipIsARoyal » 06 Dec 2015 15:40

I assumed this would be a stewarding issue to save costs? If they were all over the stand you'd need them at concorse entrance, bottom of the stand and top of the stand. Surely by limiting them to upper section saves an extra 3-4 stewards a game being needed?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Dec 2015 13:58

On the plus side, they keep dry when it rains.

However, they probably sound noisier being closer together and nearer the roof.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Dec 2015 21:13

The away fans who make the noise always sit at the back,of the stand, and the seats at the front have the worst view and the least cover. Seems fairly sensible to get them to sit in the better seats and simply net off the worst ones.
Makes zero difference to the atmosphere or much else really.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 14 Dec 2015 01:37

They don't always bring out the row of stewards along the front towards the end of a match when the bottom of the stand is netted off. I'd assumed as mentioned above that it's to save a few hundred quid.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 14 Dec 2015 16:36

royalp-we The recent games at the Mad Stad we have housed the away fans further back in the South stand, keeping the front section completely free of fans. I presume this is to keep their supporters off our keepers case, whilst not allowing an overspill on to the pitch when we are scored against.

Purely innocent due to ticket sales, a club policy or something Clarke brought in? Does anyone know?

Surely it's only to keep them closer together, whcih in turn helps them generate some noise. Also if they're further back, they stay dry!

12 posts   •   Page 1 of 1